Fort Wayne, a vibrant city in northern Indiana, has about 270,000 residents, and a senior community makes up approximately 14% of the population. The city has a low cost of living, with health care expenses coming in well below the national average, and nursing home care is relatively affordable at $7,300 per month for a semi-private room. Residents have access to an array of health care options, including Parkview Regional Medical Center, which specializes in areas of medicine such as cardiovascular care, intensive care and geriatric wellness, as well as Lutheran Hospital and Dupont Hospital.

Nursing homes, which may also be referred to as skilled nursing facilities, provide personal care, medical and rehabilitative services. In some cases, an individual may stay in a nursing home temporarily following hospitalization, and in other cases, residents may live there permanently due to extensive physical or mental health needs. Nursing home level care includes 24-hour supervision, skilled nursing services, three meals daily, assistance with daily living activities and physical therapy. For those with less extensive medical needs, assisted living and home-based care are generally more affordable and appropriate.

This guide compares the cost of nursing home care in Fort Wayne to that of surrounding cities, as well as other types of care. It also outlines local resources for seniors seeking care options.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Fort Wayne, IN

Towne House

2209 ST JOE CENTER RD, Fort Wayne, IN, 46825

The Village at Anthony Boulevard – Assisted Living and Nursing Care

6701 S Anthony Blvd, Fort Wayne, IN, 46816

I went to The Village at Anthony Boulevard. I thought it was very well kept, the outside and the inside. I saw some of the community areas. I saw the community center. They have a little fitness cente … (read more)

Englewood Health & Rehabilitation Center

2237 ENGLE ROAD, Fort Wayne, IN, 46809

While looking for a place of care for my grandfather, my family and I were referred to Englewood. My grandfather is a retired veteran and we didn’t want to take him to a place where he would be treate … (read more)

Signature HealthCARE of Fort Wayne

6006 Brandy Chase Cove, Fort Wayne, IN, 46815

The Alzheimer’s Unit (Memory Care Unit) is excellent. Spacious rooms, nice dining area. The nurses, CNAs, and all of the staff at this facility are absolutely wonderful. My mother has been there just … (read more)

Ashton Creek Health And Rehabilitation Center

4111 Park Place Drive, Fort Wayne, IN, 46845

My mom loved Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center. It was exclusive. It was so luxurious. It was one of the best nursing/rehab centers I have ever seen. It was impeccably clean and up to date … (read more)

Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center

10445 Dupont Oaks Blvd, Fort Wayne, IN, 46845

Golden Years Homestead

3136 Goeglein Road, Fort Wayne, IN, 46815

Golden Years Homestead was nice. The staff was really nice. It’s a very clean place. The rooms were clean, and they had big bathrooms. My mom was there for a while. She liked the food there, and they … (read more)

Saint Anne Communities

1900 Randallia Drive, Fort Wayne, IN, 46805

I love Saint Anne (Saint Anne Home). What stood out was the caring and the Catholic atmosphere. They have excursions, dining, games, movies, and exercises. My parents have a 1-bedroom apartment. They … (read more)

Coventry Meadows

7843 W. Jefferson Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN, 46804

Coventry Meadows is an assisted living facility conveniently located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, just minutes from hospitals, shopping and dining. The facility is nestled in a beautiful neighborhood overl … (read more)

The Village at Pine Valley

9802 Coldwater Road,, Fort Wayne, IN, 46825

If there is a six star, I would give The Village at Pine Valley a six. It was excellent. It was a newer community, so it was updated. The rooms were very nice, more modern than the older nursing homes … (read more)

Elevate Fort Wayne Memory Care

3420 East State Blvd, Fort Wayne, IN, 46805

I’m very happy with it. They have an excellent activity director who keeps them as busy as she possibly can. My sister-in-law’s studio is very nice and spacious enough for her. Their menu is pretty va … (read more)

Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne

1010 W Washington Center Road, Fort Wayne, IN, 46825

When I did a tour of Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, they were very helpful. I was encouraged to possibly placing him there because I just felt he would have a better level of care. Even having wa … (read more)

The Village at Anthony Boulevard

6723 South Anthony Boulevard, Fort Wayne, IN, 46816

My aunt was at Lutheran Life Villages at Anthony Boulevard. We hated it, that’s why we moved her out; they were terrible. The staff were uncaring and careless. They gave my aunt the wrong medicine, so … (read more)

Canterbury Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

2827 Northgate Boulevard, Fort Wayne, IN, 46835

I was pleasantly pleased with the cleanliness of Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. The staff seemed professional. I felt like the tour and the place went well and made me feel comfortable … (read more)

Byron Health Center

1661 Beacon Street, Fort Wayne, IN, 46805

We found Byron Health Center for my sister. We chose them because they cater more with the issues she has, which are mental issues. The staff seems to be nice and friendly. The facilities are very old … (read more)

Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center

4180 Sage Bluff Crossing, Fort Wayne, IN, 46804

My husband was a resident of Sage Bluff Health & Rehab Center. It’s an excellent community; caring, very supportive, and staff just gave excellent service. Anything that you needed, they tried to … (read more)

Bethlehem Woods Nursing & Rehabilitation

4430 Elsdale Dr., Fort Wayne, IN, 46835

We weren’t impressed with Bethlehem Woods. There were bad smells there. Their rooms were basically like a hospital room with 2 beds in it. The staff was fine, and the dining area looked good. My overa … (read more)

Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center

5700 WILKIE DRIVE, Fort Wayne, IN, 46804

My mother started in the rehab section. Very good rehab, then moved to long term. Started out good. After a year and three different Administrators, four different Director of Nursing it went way do … (read more)

Heritage Park

2001 Hobson Rd, Fort Wayne, IN, 46805

Heritage Park is a friendly assisted living facility conveniently located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, with easy access to I-69, shopping centers, restaurants and the Parkview Memorial Hospital for emergen … (read more)

University Park Health and Rehabilitation Center

1400 MEDICAL PARK DRIVE, Fort Wayne, IN, 46825

Horrible. Untrained staff, terrible food, unsanitary conditions overall. They’re very good at taking your money though.

Nursing Home Costs in Fort Wayne, IN

In Fort Wayne, nursing home care costs $7,300 per month on average for semi-private accommodations. A private room costs about 24% more at $9,064.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the semi-private room rates published in the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home care in Fort Wayne is high compared to the Indiana median but affordable compared to the nation as a whole. On average, care costs $7,300 per month, which is about $170 higher than the Indiana average of $7,133 but about $450 lower than the national monthly rate of $7,756.

The cost of nursing home care varies widely across Indiana, ranging from $6,464 per month in Terre Haute to $8,060 in Michigan City. In the capital city of Indianapolis, seniors pay $7,209 monthly, and in Bloomington, fees average $7,148.

$7300

Bloomington

$6464

Terre Haute

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care is suitable for those with extensive medical needs along with assistance with daily living activities. At $7,300 per month for semi-private accommodations and $9,064 for private accommodations, it’s the most expensive senior care type in Fort Wayne. Home health care, which includes personal care services and some skilled nursing provided in the individual’s home, is considerably more affordable at $4,576 per month for 44 hours of care per week. Home care, which is similar but doesn’t include skilled nursing services, is cheaper at $4,290 monthly. The most affordable senior care option is assisted living, which features personal care services and some contracted intermittent skilled nursing services in a residential community, at $3,503 monthly.

$4290

Home Care

$4576

Home Health Care

$3503

Assisted Living

$7300

Nursing Home (Semi-Private Room)

$9064

Nursing Home (Private Room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Fort Wayne, IN

Free Resources for Seniors in Fort Wayne, IN

Fort Wayne offers a broad range of free resources and services that promote independence and help seniors avoid or delay nursing home placement. They may also help seniors connect with financial assistance when nursing home care is necessary.

Resource Contact Service
Aging and In-Home Services of Northeast Indiana, Inc.  (260) 745-1200 This local Area Agency on Aging provides free and low-cost services to help older residents stay in their own homes or obtain the care they need in assisted living. Its 30-day Care Transitions program helps older adults transition from a hospital or nursing home back to their own homes, and through its Geriatric & Disability Case Management program, it creates customized care plans and arranges necessary services. The agency also contracts with local agencies that provide free and low-cost personal care services, housekeeping and transportation.
Homebound Meals, Inc.  (260) 422-3296 Homebound Meals is a local nonprofit organization that provides affordable home-delivered noontime meals to qualifying seniors in the Fort Wayne area. Meals are prepared fresh daily and consist of a hot tray with an entree, a vegetable and a starch, along with a cold sack that includes a beverage, fruit or salad. Medically tailored meals are available.
Veterans’ Service Office (260) 449-7861 The Veterans’ Service Office assists qualifying veterans and their spouses in obtaining state and federal benefits that they’re entitled to, including those that may cover nursing home care. The office helps visitors file applications for disability compensation, pension benefits, VA medical care and property tax abatement. The office can also help veterans determine eligibility for the Federal Aid and Attendance benefit.
Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program (260) 427-6460 The local community center has SHIP counselors who help seniors and families understand their Medicare and Medicaid benefits, Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans, prescription drug plans and long-term care insurance. This may help them identify solutions for covering nursing home care or pay for services that allow them to remain in their own homes or a residential community. Counseling is free and available by appointment.