11 Assisted Living Facilities near Urbana, IL
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Urbana area, with 2 in Urbana and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Urbana is $2,495 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 57 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Urbana. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Urbana 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Champaign with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Urbana find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Urbana, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Urbana, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Urbana
Urbana is the county seat of Champaign County, Illinois, and is home to award-winning libraries. The Urbana Free Library is ranked among the top 1% of public libraries in the nation. Urbana has over 42,000 residents, and while this college town has a fairly young population, it has a senior community that accounts for about 12% of the population.
In Illinois, there are two types of assisted living residences, including assisted living residences, which are governed by the Department on Aging, and personal care homes, which are monitored by the Department of Public Health. Urbana has two assisted living facilities, and there are a dozen more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Urbana
- Public transportation in Urbana and the surrounding region is provided courtesy of Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District. MTD operates numerous fixed routes throughout the city, providing access to local shopping centers, restaurants, medical centers and recreational venues. Routes are available seven days per week, and seniors aged 65 and over and Medicare card holders are eligible for free or reduced fare via the DASH pass.
- The Urbana area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Presence Covenant Medical Center and Carle Foundation Hospital in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Urbana is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Urbana has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission Senior Services, an organization that provides case management and referral services for Urbana seniors, as well as one senior center.
- In Illinois, almost all types of retirement income are exempt from state income tax, including Social Security benefits, pension income and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts. This may leave more money for assisted living expenses in Urbana.
- The air quality in Urbana is very good, with the American Lung Association rating the county a B for ozone pollution and an A for short-term particle pollution. The area's clean air may beneficial for seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory illnesses.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Urbana
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Urbana start around $2,495 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Urbana and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Urbana
Seniors who meet income limits may have some care services covered through one of the state's Medicaid waiver programs, including the Supportive Living Program and the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Urbana
Urbana and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Urbana, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Urbana
Urbana-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Urbana
Review of Brookdale Urbana
Sandy was SO helpful. So was the nursing and PT staff who assessed my dad. They were all caring and friendly. Even after we realized my dad couldn’t do assisted at this point, Sandy remained open a... Read more
Review of Brookdale Urbana
I have been in assisted living at Brookdale Urbana for two years now. They have adequate bathroom facilities. I had a stroke and am in a wheelchair and most of the other places did not have adequat... Read more
Review of Brookdale Urbana
This facility has dropped in preformance in my opinion to a very negative level. The first years my mother was at Brookdale (then Canterberry Ridge) 2014-2015 was extremely good and positive. Now... Read more