Lithonia is a small community of fewer than 2,000 residents, about 200 of whom are aged 65 and over, in the Atlanta metro. The city offers high access to health care amenities, which may benefit older adults, and its comfortable year-round climate is suitable for those who enjoy being outdoors. The modest cost of living and retirement-friendly state income tax laws may benefit older adults with budgetary considerations.

Lithonia seniors have a range of assisted living facilities to choose from, enabling them to access the care they need. These residential facilities administer personal care and feature services and amenities, such as housekeeping and laundry services, daily meals and snacks, transportation and social and recreational activities. Monthly rates vary based on amenities, size and location, but according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, seniors in Lithonia pay approximately $4,000 per month for care. This is lower than the national median.

This introductory guide features comprehensive information for those seeking assisted living services in Lithonia and the surrounding region, including benefits and drawbacks of living in this city and an overview of local senior care costs. It also includes a resource list of programs and agencies that serve older adults.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Lithonia, GA

Yellow Brick House

6903 Main Street, Lithonia, GA, 30058

Yellow Brick House seemed more institutionalized to me. There was a long hallway that you had to have a code to go through. They need to improve the layout. It was an older facility and was not modern … (read more)

Kada J’S Personal Care Home

4921 Hamlet Ct, Lithonia, GA, 30038

Patron Place Personal Care Home

1992 Sewing Circle, Lithonia, GA, 30058

My father moved into Patron Place PCH. It’s a single family home with four other residents. It’s clean, comfortable, he seems to be happy, and he likes the food; they have free homecooked meals. He’s … (read more)

Saheli Personal Care

6193 Redan Rd,, Lithonia, GA, 30058

Saheli Personal Care was very nice. I was very impressed with the administrator. A handicapped person could not use the bathroom on the first floor. They had a regular tub in there, but they wouldn’t … (read more)

Grosvenor Quality Care

1222 S Stone Mountain Lith Rd, Lithonia, GA, 30058

Grosvenor Quality Care is an excellent facility. I’m extremely pleased with the level of care provided. I like the food and the director of the facility. It’s a wonderful choice for her. This is a … (read more)

Sunshine Noel Personal Care Home 2

7411 Pleasant Hill Road, Lithonia, GA, 30058

Sunshine Noel Personal Care Home 2 was very nice. The rooms were very spacious and adequate. The staff were very nice and the food looked very good. The dining area was prepared well and the setup was … (read more)

Our Home Personal Care

3327 Panola Rd, Lithonia, GA, 30038

My brother is in Our Home Personal Care and there are about 5 people there. The hospital that he left found it. His room is comfortable like a home, it makes you feel at home. I’ve been there several … (read more)

Ov’S Personal Care Home

4655 New Castle Circle, Lithonia, GA, 30038

The Retreat at Conyers

1504 Renaissance Dr., Conyers, GA, 30012

I went to The Retreat at Conyers. The building is nice, it’s clean. The staff is great. Their stuff is separated out to where the dining is in one place, and the activity room is in another place. The … (read more)

Park Springs – A Life Plan Community

600 Springhouse Circle, Stone Mountain, GA, 30087

Park Springs was such a grand place. The food was really good. We went for a presentation and then had lunch. They showed us one of the units in that particular building, which was kind of an apartmen … (read more)

Oaks at Conyers

1352 Wellbrook Circle, Conyers, GA, 30012

My father is in the Oaks at Conyers. They were very hospitable. I liked what I saw. The room was much bigger than where he came from. It’s more like an apartment. He can have some of his independence. … (read more)

Fourth View Personal Care Home

4118 Sioux Way, Stone Mountain, GA, 30083

Fourth View PCH was very nicely laid out and kind of secluded, which meant not a whole lot of traffic, which is good because my sister likes to walk. The staff was very professional and it had a reall … (read more)

Safe Haven Home

3311 White Castle Way, Decatur, GA, 30034

My brother was an extreme case. He was only 48, but he had severe dementia, so we had to put him at Safe Haven Home, but there wasn’t enough staff at this one particular area he was at. She had six … (read more)

Grosvenor Home

4556 Central Drive, Stone Mountain, GA, 30083

Manchester Court

1358 Manchester Dr. NE, Conyers, GA, 30012

I went to Manchester Court. It’s a nice place. The rooms are just what it is, just a room. The staff there was nice. I spoke to the receptionist, two of the people, I think the man is like the directo … (read more)

Brookside Stone Mountain

1745 Parke Plaza Circle, Stone Mountain, GA, 30087

We like the Brookside Stone Mountain facility. We like the staff, and we like how clean it is. It just seemed to be the perfect place for my mom. My wife and I were very impressed with the quality of … (read more)

Waters Cove Senior Living

1200 Silver Hill Rd., Stone Mountain, GA, 30087

Waters Cove provide excellent service to my mother, when searching for placement, I knew right away this was the perfect setting, small and family oriented, staff is friendly and warm; very knowledgea … (read more)

Paradise for Living Services, Inc

1836 Rockbridge Road, Stone Mountain, GA, 30087

Paradise Living is a great facility. It has everything I want in a facility. It is an independent living, so I make my own food. We have lots of games and stuff like that. I will absolutely recommend … (read more)

Tender Care Assisted Living

3922 HIGHWAY 124, Snellville, GA, 30039

I am looking for a new living facility to a relative therefore I have been browsing various facilities. I was extremely impressed with the friendly and very kind staff. Everyone was very informative a … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lithonia

The Georgia Department of Community Health oversees assisted living facilities in Lithonia and ensures a high standard of care through an initial licensing process, comprehensive regulations pertaining to care planning and staff training and regular visits. The department also conducts background checks on prospective employees.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lithonia

• Health care is affordable and accessible in Lithonia and may make the city a convenient option for those managing health conditions. There are 317 doctors per 100,000 people versus the national rate of 210, and health care costs, such as doctor’s office visits and inpatient hospital care, are about 10% less than in the typical U.S. city. Emory Hillandale Hospital is located within Lithonia, and Emory Decatur Hospital and Piedmont Rockdale Hospital are within a 10-mile radius.
  • Lithonia’s weather is generally comfortable throughout the year, providing plenty of opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities and area amenities. July and August are the most uncomfortable months with temperatures near 90 degrees, but temperatures are mild throughout the rest of the year. Winters are chilly with lows in the 30s, but the city gets just 2 inches of annual snowfall.
  • Crime is somewhat prevalent in Lithonia and may be a consideration for some. On a 100-point crime index on which a higher score indicates more crime, the city’s violent crime is rated 62.5 and property crime is 95.6. By comparison, the national scores are 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. This may make community residential settings a preferred option for older adults.
  • Lithonia’s overall cost of living is consistent with the state average and about 7% lower than the national average and may help seniors’ retirement income cover necessary services and expenses. Housing is generally affordable, but utilities and transportation expenses are high but may be avoided by opting for assisted living.
  • Lithonia seniors don’t pay state income taxes on their Social Security income. While other types of retirement income are taxed, those aged 65 and over can claim a large deduction to minimize or eliminate the tax burden. Georgia doesn’t have an inheritance or estate tax.
  • The DeKalb Human Services Department’s Transportation Division provides on-demand transportation services to older adults in the Lithonia region. The service is provided through contracted agencies with ADA-compliant vans and is available to locations throughout the county.

Paying for Assisted Living in Lithonia

Lithonia is a fairly budget-friendly city for assisted living, with local facilities charging approximately $4,000 per month for care. While this is higher than the state rate of $3,500, it’s affordable compared to the national average of $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living facilities in Georgia charge competitive rates, with average fees in every surveyed city coming in below the national median. The costliest city for this level of care is Gainesville at $4,263 per month. Lithonia is a couple hundred dollars cheaper at $4,000. In Rome, seniors pay $3,088 per month. Those seeking more affordable care may consider Macon, where facilities charge $2,730, or Warner Robins, where rates are the lowest in the state at $2,300.

$4000

Rome

$4263

Gainesville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Lithonia have several care options to choose from. Those who prefer to live in their own homes may obtain personal care services in adult day health care facilities for approximately $1,300 per month. Those seeking in-home care pay $4,147 for homemaker services and $4,195 for specialized home health aide services. Assisted living is competitively priced at $4,000 and includes housing, meals and personal care, which may make it the most budget-friendly option for seniors. Nursing homes provide skilled nursing services in a residential environment and charge the highest monthly rates of $6,950 for semiprivate accommodations and $7,559 for private rooms.

$4147

Adult Day Health Care

$4000

Assisted Living Facility

$6950

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$7559

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Lithonia was not available, so data for the closest city, Atlanta Area, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lithonia

Two key state programs provide Medicaid-eligible seniors help with the cost of care: Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) and the Community Care Services Program (CCSP). The former provides assistance with intermediate-level nursing care in an assisted living environment, while the latter provides financial assistance for a lower level of care.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Georgia

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Lithonia

Seniors in Lithonia can get help from several local agencies with specialists who assist them in getting services in the community, connecting with social and recreational activities and finding the best options for paying for services. The following table lists these agencies, describes services and provides contact information.

Resource

Contact

Service

DeKalb County’s Office on Aging is the designated Area Agency on Aging for the Lithonia region. It administers free and low-cost programs for older adults, including transportation services, case management and information and referrals for community-based services. It also has specialists who help older adults understand their Medicare benefits, compare long-term care insurance plans and determine eligibility for Medicaid, which can help cover local assisted living expenses.

The nearest VFSO is in Decatur, about 15 miles from Lithonia. At this location, veterans are screened for benefits that can help them pay for assisted living, including pension programs and Aid and Attendance. The office can also connect veterans with services in the community, including emergency financial assistance and medical care.

The Lithonia Senior Center is federally funded and open to those aged 60 and over. At this center, members participate in arts and crafts, sewing groups, age-friendly fitness and dance classes and health and wellness classes. The center is open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Atlanta Legal Aid’s DeKalb County office is located in Decatur, about 13 miles from Lithonia. At this location, legal professionals provide free civil legal aid to older adults, helping them obtain public benefits, such as Social Security, Medicare and Supplemental Security Income.

The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program advocates on behalf of those in assisted living by ensuring residents understand their rights and payment options and are obtaining the services in their care plans. The ombudsman can also mediate family disagreements or investigate reports of abuse or neglect.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lithonia

Lithonia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Georgia