9 Assisted Living Facilities near Florence, AL
Also serving communities of Killen.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Florence area, with 5 in Florence and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Florence is $2,880 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Sheffield with an average starting cost of $2,426.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Florence. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Florence 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sheffield with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Florence, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Florence, AL
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Florence, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Florence
Florence, located on the Tennessee River in northern Alabama, was named after Florence, Italy. This city of nearly 40,000 people is nicknamed “Alabama’s Renaissance City” due to its annual renaissance fair. Florence has a relatively large senior population with over 18% of residents aged 65 or older.
To accommodate the area’s many seniors, there are eight assisted living facilities in and around Florence. In Florence and in all of the state, these facilities are licensed by the Alabama Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Florence
- Public transit in Florence is limited. The Northwest Alabama Council of Local Governments operates a Dial-a-Ride service that serves Florence and other cities in the Shoals Area. The service is available Monday to Friday, and fares are determined based on trip length.
- By one measure of air pollution, 24-hour particle pollution, the Huntsville-Decatur metropolitan area has some of the cleanest air in the country. In the American Lung Association’s rankings, it ties for first place. Seniors with respiratory conditions like asthma may appreciate the city’s air quality.
- Thanks to retiree-friendly tax policies, Florence seniors may notice they have more money in their pockets. Social Security benefits aren’t taxed in Alabama. Many types of pensions, such as military and civil-service pensions, are also tax-exempt.
- Another financial advantage of retiring in Florence is the city’s low cost of living. It’s 15.9% more affordable than the national average. This difference is largely driven by low housing prices. Groceries, utilities and transportation are also more affordable than the U.S. average.
- Florence experiences mild winters with lows just below freezing. The city gets two inches of snow per year, much lower than the national average of 28 inches. With highs around 90 degrees, summers are hot. Seniors’ favorite warm-weather activities, like walking or golf, can be pursued for much of the year.
- In addition to the annual Alabama Renaissance Faire, Florence offers a wide variety of fun activities for seniors. History buffs may want to stop by Helen Keller’s birthplace and the Florence Indian Mound. Outdoor enthusiasts may want to explore the North Alabama Birding Trail or the Cane Creek Canyon Nature Preserve.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Florence
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Florence start around $2,880 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Florence and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Florence
At this time, the state of Alabama doesn't provide any funding for assisted living services through its Medicaid program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Florence
Florence and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Florence, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Florence
Florence-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Florence, AL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Florence
Review of Keestone of Florence
Keestone of Florence is very god, I had an excellent tour. The place is very nice and we have nothing bad to say about it. The appearance is very nice and upscale. They gave us the tour and we had ... Read more
Review of The Renaissance of Florence
I looked at some communities and liked Brookdale Florence the best. Here, I have a bedroom and a living room. My room has two rooms but most of the others only have one room. They also clean the ro... Read more
Review of The Renaissance of Florence
I am in assisted living at Brookdale Florence right now. I have a good impression because it had a good reputation and is really beautiful. The staff is very friendly. I live alone in my room, and ... Read more