3 Assisted Living Facilities in Athens, AL
The average cost of assisted living in Athens is $2,780 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Decatur with an average starting cost of $2,676.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Athens. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Athens 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fayetteville with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Athens, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Athens
Athens, Alabama is located in Limestone County, an ideal spot in northern Alabama to enjoy the Appalachian Mountains. Other attractions in or near the city include fun events like rodeos, tractor pulls, festivals and sporting events. Seniors make up 16 percent of the population in Athens, which has two assisted living communities for aging adults who can no longer live independently. All facilities help residents with activities daily living such as grooming, bathing, dressing and house keeping and each provides some form of specialized care. These facilities are regulated by the Bureau of Health Provider Standards.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Athens
- Winter in Athens is relatively short, with an average low of 48 degrees Fahrenheit and an average high of 71 degrees Fahrenheit. Seniors looking for mild year-round weather find Athens to be a suitable city.
- Athens typically has good air quality year-round, according to reports issued by the Environmental Protection Agency AirNow. The Air Quality Index detects occasional pollution in Athens during spring and fall.
- The cost of living in Athens is 11 percent lower than the national average, with housing averaging around 42 percent less expensive than other areas. This provides seniors who are living on a tight budget with quality, affordable services.
- Seniors living in Athens remain comfortable and safe here with relatively low property and violent crime rates. Athens was listed as number 14 of 143 for the safest places to live in Alabama and number 18 of 194 for the best places to live in the state.
- Alabama seniors are exempt from paying taxes on SSI retirement benefits, and the state is considered to be tax-friendly toward retirees.
- The Athens area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Athens-Limestone Hospital, Medcare East, American Family Care Athens, TOC Therapy Athens and Ambulance Service Emergency Calls Only, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Athens
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Athens start around $2,746 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Athens and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Athens
Financial assistance is available to eligible seniors living in Athens to help reduce costs associated with facility living, including four Medicaid programs: Technical Assistance Waiver (TAW), Medicaid HIV/AIDS Waiver, Personal Choices program and Alabama Community Transition (ACT).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Athens
Athens and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Athens, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Athens
Athens-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Athens, AL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Athens
Review of Limestone Lodge
Limestone Lodge was really small. One building is assisted living and the other building is memory care. They're mirror images. The staff member I talked to was sweet, personable, and not pushy. Th... Read more
Review of Limestone Lodge
We went for a tour at Limestone Lodge, and it was very clean. We asked all kinds of question and they answered everything. It was clean, and I liked it. It's the kind of facility my dad needs. They... Read more
Review of Traditions of Athens
I saw Traditions when it was still under construction, but it's open now. They had three different types of apartments, efficiency, 1-bedrooms, and 2-bedrooms. They were spacious, each had their ow... Read more