22 Assisted Living Facilities near Decatur, AL
Also serving communities of Hartselle.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Decatur area, with 6 in Decatur and 16 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Decatur is $2,701 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,480.
To help you with your search, browse the 141 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Decatur. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Decatur 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Athens with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Decatur, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Decatur, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Decatur
Situated along the scenic banks of the Tennessee River, Decatur, Alabama is nicknamed The River City. According to a recent survey, Decatur is one of the best places to retire in Morgan County. Retirees considering moving into an assisted living community in the Decatur area have several from which to choose, with six in Decatur and another 16 in the nearby towns of Athens, Madison and Huntsville. Assisted living facilities in Decatur and throughout Alabama are licensed by the Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Decatur
• Decatur’s climate tends to be hot and humid in the summer, with an average July high of 89 degrees, which could be tough on some seniors. However, the town usually enjoys mild winters, with only about 1 inch of snowfall each year.
• Living costs for seniors in Decatur compare favorably to the U.S. average. Overall, seniors in assisted living facilities can expect their cost of living to be 19.5 percent lower than the national average.
• Social Security retirement benefits are tax-exempt in Alabama. However, seniors hoping to enjoy this tax benefit should bear in mind that Alabama also has one of the five highest state sales tax rates in the nation.
• Decatur offers a wide variety of art and cultural experiences to its residents. Assisted living communities in Decatur may choose to organize outings for residents to one of the city's restaurants, shops or three historic districts. The Carnegie Visual Arts Center also provides an array of events and exhibits.
• Decatur's violent crime rate, at 27.8 on a scale of one to 100, is below the U.S. national average of 31.1. However, its property crime rate of 58.1 on the same scale, is above the national average of 38.1.
• The Decatur area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Decatur Morgan Hospital’s Decatur Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Decatur
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Decatur start around $2,701 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Decatur and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Decatur
The state of Alabama administers the Elderly and Disabled Medicaid Waiver, which may help eligible seniors pay for some of the costs associated with assisted living. At the time of writing, Alabama doesn't offer any non-Medicaid financial aid programs to cover assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Decatur
Decatur and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Decatur, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Decatur
Decatur-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Decatur, AL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Decatur
Review of Country Cottage - Decatur
My mother loves Country Cottage - Decatur. It's beautiful. They have a beauty parlor, a nurse practitioner that comes by to see them, and all kinds of activities in the mornings and afternoons on a... Read more
Review of Brookdale Cedar Springs
We were accommodated very well at Brookdale Cedar Springs. The room was large when we visited, but not so clean. It's an old house and there are a lot of ramps and a lot of stairs. They have an ele... Read more
Review of Brookdale Cedar Springs
My father-in-law was in Brookdale Cedar Springs. Everything was really nice and pretty. They did great and the staff was very friendly and very sweet. I have no complaints at all about them. The fo... Read more