Brookdale Lake Ridge

Reviews of Brookdale Lake Ridge

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Ridge

October 05, 2017

By Dr. Ware

Brookdale Lake Ridge had the best deal of all the places I looked at. Their regulations for the staff are much more rigid because they do fingerprints and background checks. All CNAs have to take a licensing exam, not just a certification, and they have to come from a reputable school. The senior management staff is very good. I am very pleased with the staff because they are really good in working out accommodations. They also have an activities director that's phenomenal, so the seniors always have something to do every day. The place is just as good as the management. They have a chef there that cooks food that tastes 5-star restaurant quality. He is phenomenal. They have a very diverse population there, which is good. It is also important for Brookdale that their residents know the names of the staff on their floor.

April 18, 2017

My wife has been at Brookdale Lake Ridge for almost three years now. The place itself is great. The only problem that I have ever had is that the staff changes so rapidly. I had already established a good rapport with the director of wellness and then all of a sudden, he's gone. I didn’t know that he was gone until I asked three weeks later, which left me with not knowing who to discuss any problems that my wife had. Instead, I went and talked to the nurse, Samantha, who was extremely helpful, but one day I went to talk to Samantha, and they told me that she too was gone. My wife had a stroke and couldn’t go to the dining room, so they used to bring the food to her room. They never asked her what she wanted and never brought her a menu until after Christmas because I complained. Then they started to bring her the menu so that she could pick the entrees and side dishes that she would like to have. It’s been much better for the last three months. They bring in people who sing and do bingo, show movies, or have entertainment in the front lobby. The front lobby is always full of activity, which is not as conducive to the residents as if you had a special place to have those activities. It is always in the middle of the traffic. Other than that, the permanent staff is very nice and very understanding. My wife needs help bathing and sometimes they forget. Two weeks went by and my wife didn’t get her bath. When I started to complain, the guy was gone and I didn’t know who to talk to.

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to providing the highest-quality service and care for each resident and would truly like an opportunity to discuss this with you personally. We hope you will call us at 877-400-5296.

March 08, 2017

By Jay482518

I looked at six facilities and of the ones I looked at, the one I liked the most was Brookdale Lake Ridge. The staff seemed very attentive and knew everybody by name. The studio rooms were very roomy, had nice windows, and seemed to be very bright. They repainted the place and cleaned the carpets before my father-in-law moved in. They had on-site physical therapy and activities throughout the day. There’s a beauty shop and barber shop on the facility. It seemed to be a very nice place.

July 07, 2016

By Melinda C.367648

I love Brookdale Lake Ridge, but it is not a place I could ever afford to go to. The monthly fee is more than I make in Social Security. The residents were mostly retired military government workers. I really like that place. Everything is very neat and clean. The staff is very friendly. They have transportation if you can’t drive. The clientele is somewhat older, at least 15 to 20 years older than I am. But walking in the door, it’s a very elegant place. For those who need additional or extra help, they generally have two-door rooms, and the outside area is enclosed so people could still go outside, but they can’t get out. They have the park benches outside and a little garden area.

June 17, 2016

By Ann738450

We went to Brookdale Lake Ridge and saw that the place was not well maintained. They had overflowing waste cans and a lot of debris in their yard. It looked a little rundown, but overall, it was OK. The people looked friendly, and the staff was cooperative and nice.

October 27, 2015

By Margery1

Brookdale seemed like a very nice place, but I didn't really see a whole lot. It was very nice. We didn't see many people, unfortunately. Everybody was very nice and very pleasant. We didn’t have an opportunity to meet residents or to tour around much. The four-star rating may be unfair; it could be much higher if we had seen more.

July 13, 2015

By Karen109374850

The apartment was probably could have some more storage, but it does have a closet and shelves in the bathroom, which is a nice option. It has new carpet and new paint. The facility is being remodeled, and that's nice. It is fresh and bright. They have been receptive to try to meet our needs; it has been a positive experience. I also like that they have a hydration station. They have afternoon snacks available, and they have water machines, coffee, and cake as well. They also have an old-fashioned popcorn machine, so there's always popcorn that people can grab. They have fresh fruits, orange juice, cranberry juice, apple juice, and lemonade. They seem to have a good social calendar. My mom is not up to taking part with it right now, but they do have activities. They have a couple of different music programs in the dining room that looks well attended.

June 20, 2015

By Maria46

She was here for a year, and I wasn't happy with that, so I took her out of there and brought her home. First of all, my mother is basically Spanish speaking, the community didn't have too many people that speak Spanish, and my mother doesn't speak English. I put her there till her funds were running out and I couldn't afford to continue. The rooms were like closets, very small, and good only for a twin-sized bed and a dresser. The food was good, but they would just put the plate there, and if she ate, she ate; if she didn't, she didn't. I never saw her participate in any activity. She was always in her room. It was a nice place. It really is, but I don't really think that they fit her medical needs or anything like that.

January 17, 2015

I would say it probably needs more lighting. It seemed a little bit darker. The lighting is a little bit dimmer. I would recommend it to have brighter and more cheery lighting. Otherwise the patients seemed like they were being cared for by the staff. The staff seemed like they were engaged. They were friendly and helpful. My biggest thing is that it is clean and smells clean.

January 12, 2015

I can’t afford to live here but the people that are working there are beautiful. They gave me a nice meal. The setup of the dining area was also very nice. It did have a large room and a bathroom, and it didn’t seem like an older place at all. The facility was very nice; I just couldn’t afford it.

January 31, 2014

By Harold12

What I like about it is that they had all the amenities that we needed. It was virtually brand new and it was reasonable in terms of proximity to my own home. The staff there was genuinely concerned and very helpful. I was there when the residents were finishing up their meals; they seemed to be satisfied, contented and pleased with it. For activities, they have bingo and other group games. I think they have sing-alongs and a variety of religious observances. They were excellent.

December 13, 2013

By Lori20

I visited. The rooms were nice, the staff was nice, and I was so impressed with them. They seemed to have a lot of crafts and they take people out to the malls and do excursions. They seemed to have pretty good activities. The best thing about them is I think the people that I talked seemed really sincere and they did a good job of following up.

April 16, 2013

By SOS

People were accommodating as far as showing up. I always want to go into the memory care units because I know that's where my mom is headed for sooner or later. So that's really my big interest on how it is in there. They have a good one. They have two memory care levels and one of them is closed up because one of them had some kind of a virus. I like their setup. My mother likes the garden and get outside a little bit. They certainly have an area where you can go outside, just relax and do a little bit of gardening. They had a really good setup. But the location was really busy. I wasn't comfortable with the spot. It was close to the road and everything.

August 30, 2011

By C Martin

I am a part-time, private duty caregiver and one of my dear friends was placed in this facility when her family could no longer provide 24hr care. My family and I visit her at least one Sunday a month and fine the place to be quiet, clean, and brightly lit. Whenever we visit, there is some activity going on in the main reception area. This can range from the residents watching a movie, participating in a joyous selection of hymnals or they may be dining. Several occasions, we have come at a time when a nursing sister was in the midst of providing care. I observed from at least three different nurses that they had developed a good rapport with my friend. On our last visit, one of the nurses came in to tell my friend that her alert light was on and offered her assistance. During that conversation, my friend mentioned that she wanted her hair combed and the nurse said she would gladly come back to do it later. All in all, I think my friends daughter made the right choice in putting her in a place where she is truly cared for.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Lake Ridge

Questions about Brookdale Lake Ridge

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Associates receive monthly training through Brookdale certified dementia trainers on dementia care

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Lake Ridge. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our average age is 80 We have so many activities to enjoy in our community. There is something for everybody! Our residents enjoy the cooking demonstrations and they love BINGO!

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Ridge offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have many educational activities and speakers who come visit our community. We also have musical guests and dancers who visit regularly. We also have fun craft activities and field trips for our residents.

What places are near Brookdale Lake Ridge or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have the Chinn Library and Chinn Aquatic center a few blocks away. We are also close to Potomac Mills Mall, several parks, the ball park for the Minor League Baseball team the Potomac Nationals; and a couple of golf courses

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake Ridge offer to assisted living residents?

We have a bus that will take our residents to their doctors appointments, field trips and trips to the store.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake Ridge exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our lunch and dinner menu have at least 4 entrees to choose from. Our chef will also focus on a geographical location and offer regional cuisine for our residents. He also takes requests!

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Ridge offer to assisted living residents?

Our main entrance locks at 8:00pm and remains locked until 9:00am. All guests must sign in and out and when a resident leave, they must sign out as well.

How does Brookdale Lake Ridge keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We encourage families to visit often and participate with our events. It gives us a chance to talk with family members and our residents. All managers are available to all family members to answer any questions they may have.During COVID, we are offering porch visits, facetime calls, and Zoom meetings to keep families in the know.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Lake Ridge during daytime and nighttime hours?

That is based on care and acuity needs

If Brookdale Lake Ridge accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept pets under 25 pounds. We have sidewalks all around our community and there is a park a couple of blocks behind our community with walking trails in the woods.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All associates have required monthly training that must be completed.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

There is always a nurse in our community, 24 hours a day. Staffing is determined upon acuity of our residents.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Ridge provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a secured memory care that requires an access code to enter and exit. There is 24 hour staff in our community ensuring the safety of all our residents.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Ridge offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Memory care is very special and focuses on the 6 areas of Optimum life, as does assisted living. We make sure that our memory care residents are engaged and that activities are focused on things that they enjoy and comprehend. we meet them at their cognitive level.

Our Health and Wellness director will reassess residents' health 90 days after move in and usually every 6 months. It is also based on physician recommendations .

What techniques does Brookdale Lake Ridge use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Mealtimes are supervised, and if needed, we will guide residents with eating and help with feeding as well.

How does Brookdale Lake Ridge keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Phone calls, visits, facetime calls, emails. Zoom meetings, and of course, care plans.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Lake Ridge. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

we are located in front of a residential neighborhood but conveniently located on Prince William Parkway

Is Brookdale Lake Ridge affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Sentara Hospital is 3 miles from our community

Photos of Brookdale Lake Ridge

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Lake Ridge

Types of care

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

About Brookdale Lake Ridge

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Lake Ridge