Carolina Gardens at West Columbia

Reviews of Carolina Gardens at West Columbia

Assisted Living Reviews for Carolina Gardens at West Columbia

November 20, 2012

By jeg779

The staff was friendly and patient. The amenities where less than expected, but sufficed to keep her busy. She was pleased with the idea of remaining independent while having the security of someone being close if needed. She has made a many of friends there and she is truly happy. I am grateful for the staff and the residents. I believe she is in love with her physical therapist!

October 07, 2012

By ProudDaughter

Both of my parents lived in Agape Senior Assisted Living for several months before their deaths 2 years ago. Since we (their children) didn't live in SC, one of us came every 2-3 weeks, sleeing on the couch in our parents' apartment. Residents who needed no assistance were satisfied, but those who needed care or help (besides the usual housekeeping and meal reminders) were not often given the assistance and care they needed. While the facility appears clean and attractive, some maintenance in their apartment was never done despite repeated requests. Most caregivers did their jobs, a few showed real caring and compassion, but there simply were not enough of them to truely give the care needed. On weekends especially, most of the time, no caregiver could be found in the residential wings at mealimes, afternoons, or evenings. They were assigned in the dining hall or on their own meal breaks. Our family was and is very unhappy with Agape Senior for the lack of care my parents received.

October 24, 2011

By firefly1

The layout of this assisted living facility was beautiful. The staff took excellent care of my grandmother while she was there and did their best to look after the needs of the residents. My grandmother was a resident there for about 2 years. During this time, she was able to meet many new friends. The facilities were clean and well kept. The only complaint I ever heard her make was that the food was not particularly good, but my grandmother was an amazing cook with very high standards. Their individual apartments were very nice. Her living quarters were rather spacious, with plenty of room for much of her furniture. My grandmother often complimented the staff. Trips off the campus were organized for residents who needed to run errands. They also had a more intensive care facility for residents who were injured or who required more supervision. My experience with this facility was less positive, but most of this had to do with my grandmother's progressing illness than the care she received.

September 29, 2011

By Sam Evans

I visited this facility with my Mother's church to sing Christmas Carols and have a little Christmas party a few weeks before Christmas.We brought quite a lot of cookies and soft drinks, which were cumbersome. The staff was very helpful, showing us where to park and the easiest way to get things into the social hall. I recognized a few people that I knew which was a nice surprise. But what impressed me the most was that all the residents seemed happy, were clean and well dressed and really seemed to get involved. It really made me feel good to be there.When I was in nursing school I worked as a nursing assistant in several homes for the elderly. There always seemed to be a pervasive odor of urine. This place smelled clean. Not perfumed. Just clean.I know of one man who moved in there after his wife died. His children lived out of state and my Mother was the local contact for him. He had Alzheimer's, but she took him to Church and out for lunch regularly. When he died The facility allowed his kids to stay in his room a night or two while they disposed of his possessions. That was a kindness not often seen

Memory Care Reviews for Carolina Gardens at West Columbia

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: CRC-1910

About Carolina Gardens at West Columbia

Our assisted living program offers residents personalized assistance, with all-inclusive amenities. The care that each resident receives is unique to his or her needs. Each resident is assessed prior to move-in and is assessed regularly throughout their stay. This ensures our residents are always receiving the proper care for their needs.

Assisted Living provides the ideal solution for seniors who need some help with the activities of daily life (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing and medication. Our plan is a focus on overall wellness and maintaining residents’ independence.

Care-related programs offered are:

• Care staff at facility 24-hours, 7-days a week
  • Personal care assistance with ADLs: hygiene, grooming, dressing and bathing
  • Medication assistance and administration
  • Mobility assistance
  • Continence maintenance
  • Physical, Oc

Our Memory Care Program, for residents who require Alzheimer’s and Dementia care, is a secure, designated area of the Community. The Memory Care Program also includes private apartments and private bathrooms as well as common areas for dining and activities that encourage social, therapeutic, and physical participation.

Catering to Residents with Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care

We understand our Memory Care residents need additional and specific care. We cater to their needs through consistent staffing so our employees and residents can be more acquainted. This relationship helps our staff better understand residents and their needs. The program also helps the residents feel more comfortable and participate more often in activities and socializing.

Additional services to ensure proper care include:

• State of the art Comprehensive Assessment Plan
  • Individualized service plans to meet specific Activities of Daily Living
  • 3-Meals a day plus snacks
  • Weekly personal laundry services; additional laundry services available
  • Weekly housekeeping services
  • Dedicated Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care staffing on site 24-hours per day
  • Medication Management and Medication Administration
  • Coordination and scheduling of medical appointments

Additional Costs May Apply

Our community provide a safe and maintenance-free place to live so residents are able to participate in activities, work on their hobbies, or however they would like to spend their retirement years.

Map of Carolina Gardens at West Columbia