9 Assisted Living Facilities near West Columbia, SC
Also serving communities of Gaston.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the West Columbia area, with 3 in West Columbia and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in West Columbia is $2,160 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 80 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West Columbia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West Columbia 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Columbia with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West Columbia, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in West Columbia, SC
6 Assisted Living Facilities near West Columbia, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Columbia
West Columbia is a mixed residential and industrial town with '50s-era storefronts and quiet bedroom communities that are separated from the state capital by the Congaree River, which flows to the east of town. Of the nearly 18,000 people the town is home to, over 18% of West Columbia's residents are seniors aged 65 and over. To serve these seniors' needs, West Columbia has 23 assisted living facilities within its somewhat irregularly shaped city limits. These communities, like all residential care facilities in the state, are inspected and licensed through the South Carolina Board of Long Term Health Care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Columbia
- The weather in West Columbia can be very hot and humid in summer, when the daily average high temperatures reach 93 degrees. Winters are generally mild, but they can be cold enough to create an issue for seniors with COPD. December lows average 34 degrees in West Columbia. Central South Carolina gets an average of 44 inches of rain a year.
- The cost of living in West Columbia is somewhat lower, on average, than in the rest of the nation. Seniors pay about 11% less for most household goods in West Columbia, though the cost of healthcare is 4% above the typical national rate.
- Crime rates in West Columbia are generally very high. Across all crime categories, West Columbia has a crime average 300% higher than the rest of the country. Much of this is property crime, but violent crime is also somewhat higher than is common for cities the size of West Columbia.
- Seniors in West Columbia can get around on The Comet, which serves the entire Columbia region, as well as much of the rest of central South Carolina. Seniors with a valid DART card can ride The Comet at a discount, and personal attendants ride all paratransit trips for free with their senior.
- The West Columbia area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Prisma Health Richland Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- West Columbia has an array of community resources for seniors, including The FriendShip, an organization that brings seniors aged 55 and over together with younger volunteers to connect seniors with transportation, home maintenance assistance and social engagement, as well as three senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Columbia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in West Columbia start around $2,160 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Columbia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Columbia
Seniors in West Columbia who meet the state Medicaid income and asset guidelines may be able to get help paying some of the costs of assisted living through the Community Choices Medicaid Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Columbia
West Columbia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West Columbia, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Columbia
West Columbia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in West Columbia, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West Columbia
Review of Carolina Gardens at West Columbia
Carolina Gardens at West Columbia is a nice assisted living community and the services are exceptional. I have read some negative comments about the place, but you can't make everybody happy no mat... Read more
Review of Jenni-Lynn Senior Living
This facility is run by the most unprofessional people. The rooms are small and not cleaned well at all. There is only a couple staff members on duty after 5:00 on Friday until Monday morning. The ... Read more
Review of Lexington Place
Brookdale Lexington was a very good place. My neighbor’s mother is there and loves it. I would definitely recommend it. I think the location is very good and closest to us. Read more