14 Assisted Living Facilities near Elgin, SC
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elgin area, with 2 in Elgin and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Elgin is $3,212 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Ridgeway with an average starting cost of $3,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 63 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elgin. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elgin 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Camden with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elgin, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Elgin, SC
12 Assisted Living Facilities near Elgin, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elgin
Located approximately 24 miles from the capital city, Elgin is known as one of the best places to retire in the Columbia area. With approximately 13 percent of the population 65 and older, the Elgin area has 11 assisted living facilities to help accommodate those who desire assistance with personal care.
In Elgin and South Carolina, assisted living communities are called Community Residential Care Facilities. These facilities are licensed by the state Department of Health and Environmental Control and specifically designated to provide personal care and room and board.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elgin
- Seniors 65 and older living in Elgin or other parts of South Carolina aren’t required to pay state tax on social security benefits. The state also offers a $15,000 deduction for all other types of retirement income. This may leave more money at the end of the year to pay for other day-to-day expenses.
- The city of Elgin has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Camden.
- Compared to the rest of the country, the cost of living in Elgin is nearly 4 percent lower. This makes the city an affordable option for seniors who are purchasing groceries and other necessities.
- The climate in Elgin is slightly cooler than other cities in the southeast. Winters are cold with average lows of about 28 degrees Fahrenheit, and the city gets around two inches of snow, which may be an issue for seniors who aren't fans of cold weather. Summers are hot and humid with highs averaging around 91 degrees.
- Transportation to and from medical appointments and other errands is available through the Senior Express Transportation Service, at discounted fares for seniors. This service is a door-to-door service that is available 24/7 by appointment.
- Elgin has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kershaw County Council on Aging, an organization that provides services to promote the well-being of the county’s senior population, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elgin
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Elgin start around $3,212 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elgin and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elgin
While Medicaid does not pay for room and board in South Carolina's assisted living facilities, there is a waiver that pays for care services, and the program sets limits on how much can be charged for room and board. To be covered under the waiver, seniors must meet all Medicaid program criteria and must receive the Optional State Supplement (OSS) to the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elgin
Elgin and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elgin, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elgin
Elgin-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elgin
Review of The Blake at Woodcreek Farms
I liked that the rooms at The Blake at Woodcreek Farms looked more like an apartment. It was small, but it was more cozy for me. I really liked their setup. There were long halls and they were OK. ... Read more