Brookdale Winter Haven

Reviews of Brookdale Winter Haven

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Winter Haven

December 19, 2018

By Lucy

The food is excellent and the staff friendly and helpful.

May 01, 2018

By Debra

Brookdale Winter Haven was nice. The person who talked to us was super nice. We were looking for a one-bedroom, but it had such a tiny living room that looked more like a foyer. That was the only thing I did not like about that place. The staff was really nice. They had an activity room and a library, and the dining room was nice.

April 11, 2018

By Dennis

My father was a past resident of Brookdale Winter Haven. It was very clean and updated. It was secure, but there were still spaces where he could go outdoors to do some gardening and bird watching. The staff was just outstanding in all aspects. Melissa, the overall caregiver in that unit, the nurses, and the doctors were good. I have nothing but positive comments about my experience with Brookdale. The food was good. I ate the same meals that all the other residents ate and it was very good. The meals that I saw my dad eat were all excellent. They had an activity planner that helped make sure that his day had lots of activities, and they also took him on day trips to go out into the community. Their facility also offered bus service once a week to the local area at no charge, so he could go to his doctors. It was highly recommended by all of my parents' friends as well and their families. They played Bingo and they would start their day with some movement to whatever level that they could. They had a communications person so that my brothers and sisters that live in California could Skype and talk to my dad. It's a wonderful facility. It's what they call an age in place facility. They would give me a report once a month and he was actually gaining weight at that facility. That's the testament to how good the care he got was and how good the food was. Their outdoor area had a raised planting area and my dad loved gardening there. Even though his memory was almost 100% gone, they would still get him up. He wore a toupee and somebody in their staff helped him with that. They even had a beauty parlor there.

April 12, 2017

By Karen437161

Brookdale Winter Haven was a very nice and smaller community. I saw floor plans, not apartments, but from the looks of everything, it was very nice and had a nice setup. The higher the level of care, the higher the cost.

December 30, 2015

By Roberta20

Brookdale Winter Haven was an older building and was kind of drab. I didn’t care for it very much and they had tubs there which, for seniors, are sometimes a little difficult to navigate but the staff was very nice and very accommodating.

December 20, 2015

By Ann117490550

Brookdale Winter Haven is an excellent facility, especially if you’re interested in memory care. They really work with their residents and keep them busy all day long. They were all very caring, very friendly, and very helpful. For us, it was just too far away from our home to regularly visit my mother-in-law.

October 28, 2015

By Rob K.

I set up my folk in Brookdale Winter Haven already. It is very nice. I like the way it is set up a lot. They have been there for about a month. You will get high level of care. I like it. They are very caring there. They watch over them. Everybody seems happy. I talked to the residents. The people that work there, they have been there for more than ten years. They have an outdoor area that it is secure. I dined there one day, and the food is good.

August 27, 2015

By Julie107120850

I go to Brookdale Winter Haven (Formerly Sterling House of Winter Haven) every week, and I have friends there. The staff know their members by name, and they're communicative. The rooms have a bathroom, bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen. It's small, but it's OK. They take them to doctor's appointments every Tuesday. On Thursdays, they take them out to eat. They have ice cream socials where they have a little ice cream parlor. Last time I was there, there was a gentleman singing all the old favorites, having the ladies get up and sing with him. You could tell that they really love that entertainment. They have a little square inside, and they go for a little walk like a walking club.

September 08, 2014

By Rebecca25

What I like most about Sterling House of Winter Haven was that it was homey and small enough that we felt my father would actually get to know people there. It was very organized and well kept. It is fairly near my father's house. It is across the street from the grocery store he used to shopping to. The facilities, like the dining area and the waiting area, all seemed very nice, clean, bright and sunny, so it was very uplifting. It also had, on the grounds, Clare Bridge, which is memory care unit, so my dad could transfer from one facility to the other because they were on the same ground.

February 28, 2014

By Karen78005550

I just wasn't happy with Sterling House. When you walk in you're not sure where you need to go, who to talk to. Everybody was kind of roaming around. That just turned me off. I'm weary of safety for my mom. I just didn't like the surrounding town.

January 31, 2014

By alioop75

Sterling House was a very nice facility. I found the director very accommodating and very helpful. I have really no complaints with them. The place was very clean. It was moderately priced and not out of the line. They have nice things to offer the residents. It was on my consideration list that my in-laws are going to go.

September 26, 2013

By Carol67827250

I took my parents to visit one facility. Sterling House felt homey. The rooms were nice, but they were small.

June 25, 2013

By Laine1

I would recommend Sterling House of Winter Haven to other people because it is pretty and clean.

April 16, 2013

By Rebecca7

My parents are very happy and content at Sterling House. As long as they're happy, I'm happy. The food is wonderful. Mom and Dad haven't been there for that long so I haven't heard any complaints. Everything's neat and tidy. The only thing I'm probably looking to see is if my father gives up his driver's license, the harbor transportation issue will be worked out.

February 15, 2013

By fredjr

This is a good clean house

June 22, 2012

By nikkib14471

Every member that I had to deal with was very caring. I felt that my friend had a great place to stay. They treated myself, the guests, as well as everyone I encountered them having to deal with with the upmost respect. They held activities in the courtyard for them to do. Bingo night was the most popular.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Winter Haven

December 14, 2011

By lifenotfair

Before I placed my loved one in this facility I was told that they were not providing the care they say they provide. I was actually stopped by a family as they were walking out of the facility and was told "they do not do what they say they do". I was hoping none of it was true because it looked like a very nice place for my loved one. I hate to say it, but they were right. My loved one was left to be in the room all day and their staff does not seem to have the training needed to deal with Alzheimer's and Dementia patients. Residents sit in the dining room staring at their food and staff does not offer help. I removed my loved one from this facility and will not recommend it to anyone else. All these places on paper sound great, but in fact they hope the families dont notice and since our loved ones cant tell us what is going on, how do we know what care they are receiving while we are not there. I should have listened. I also heard it from their own employees, but I thought maybe they had some personal problem with management and refused to believe it. If you can find another facility in the area, dont put your loved one here.

June 10, 2011

By Fastcars14

Friend or relative of resident

Clare Bridge assisted living was a place both my grandparents stayed for the last part of there lives. It seemed they were always well cared for by the staff and did not seem at all miserable in there surroundings. Having even eaten the food at this assistant care facility and can even vouch for the quality and thought that goes into all of there residents. All together the care here at Clare Bridge seemed to be very good and genuine. This is certainly a place that I would feel safe leaving my parents or grandparents at, which I feel nowadays is a very rare thing to say about assisted living facilities.
See all Memory Care reviews (6) See fewer reviews

Questions about Brookdale Winter Haven

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

In the daytime there are 8, overnight is two 2.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

In the daytime there are 8, overnight is two 2.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Winter Haven offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Energetic person centered programming and outings. Daily trivia, reminiscing programs, clubs, outdoor programs, & weekly outings .

The Health and Wellness director assesses with the assistance of the entire MC team. It is repeated every 6 months or if there is a change in condition.

What techniques does Brookdale Winter Haven use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

How does Brookdale Winter Haven keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We communicate personally and often send pics via email to families. ED sends monthly newsletter.

Is Brookdale Winter Haven affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We partner with Heart of Florida and Winter Haven Hospital.

Photos of Brookdale Winter Haven

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Winter Haven

• Companion Suites: No

• Spanish

• Pets: Yes

• Licenses: #9066

About Brookdale Winter Haven

Brookdale Winter Haven provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Winter Haven