Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

Adult Day Care Reviews for Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

Memory Care Reviews for Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

February 01, 2021

By Dawn

We have a family member living at Somerford Place. We visited the facility before we made our decision. I was impressed with the cleanliness, friendly and knowledgeable staff, the activities planned around the residents, the feeling of security especially when your family member has memory loss. This is the facility I would recommend to any family looking for the best for their loved one. There are smiles everywhere at Somerford. Including mine when I visit. Thank you everyone for taking care of our loved one. We couldn’t ask for more.

August 10, 2020

By Deb Maroulis

When my grandpa needed to transition from an assisted living community to a place where memory care services are offered, we were extremely lucky to find him a home at Somerford. I found them on a referral site, and Peggy called me within a day to make sure we had all the information required to move forward. Not once did I ever feel like I was being sold something; rather, the entire experience made me feel as if we were being welcomed into a family. The care has been outstanding since day one. We always feel my grandpa is a top priority for the staff that works with him. Each staff member goes above and beyond to make him feel useful and relevant. He is very particular about his routine, and the staff gives him the room to maintain his individualism. Communication is always top priority within the community, especially around the Covid-19 issue. While visiting hasn't been allowed for the safety of everyone, families receive weekly updates. I've even received pictures of my grandpa in the mail as he celebrates certain holidays. Additionally, Somerford has set up Facetime and Zoom calls so families can visit with their loved ones often. Honestly, I'm so happy with everything Somerford has done for our family.

April 09, 2020

By nka52

Mother had an excellent private room. The staff was wonderful. Mother loved the live music and games. There are activities all day long.

February 23, 2020

By 79505079

Staff is very helpful and responsive to our family's needs and concerns. If we have had requests for anything relating to our family member's care, Somerford has discussed our options and implemented our decisions as instructed. We are notified of any concerns they may have regarding our family member's care. Resident's rooms are kept clean and personal hygiene for residents is good. Facility is highly recommended for any family dealing with memory care issues.

October 08, 2018

By Jan

Mom moved into the Somerford Place of Stockton and I'm very happy with it. The care workers seem to be very diligent and they pay attention. They have a lot of activities that benefit my mother cognitively as well as physically, the food is very good, and I really like the facilities. They have a really nice, big backyard where she can walk, and it's a secure place where I don't have to worry about her wandering away and getting lost. They're doing some remodeling right now so things are a little bit tumbled, but once they're done, I think it's going to be user-friendly.

January 29, 2018

By Evelyn

My first experience of Somerford was as a volunteer in one of their many activities programd. I was impressed by the patience and empathy of the staff in caring for the residents. My friend is now a resident and i am so appreciative of the fine care she is receiving as well as the homey atmosphere which has been so important in easing the transition from home. A care plan has been designed and is in place but Somerford does not have a static care program. Recently the staff found a way to provide additional comfort and focus for her. I am confident they will continue to work toward her best care as her needs evolve. I highly recommend Somerford Place as a memory care facility.

May 03, 2017

By Cherry444065

Somerford Place of Stockton was a locked place for the security of the residents. I saw cats in there, but we have dogs and that might make my dogs go crazy. The place had a good setup, and the staff was OK. They were having snack time while we were there. The residents were sitting in their wheelchairs in the living room waiting for their snacks. I don’t think my husband would like to be there. I would suggest they improve on their front desk staff because I was trying to strike up a conversation with them, but they were busy with their own thing.

May 10, 2016

By Sheena2

Somerford has been great. They got my mother-in-law walking again, so I have nothing but great things to say about them. The staff is great. They’re taking great care of my mother-in-law. They have a chef on staff, so it’s high-quality food. They have lots of different activities throughout the day' my mother-in-law’s favorite is tai chi, and they have games and movie nights.

March 27, 2016

By Corrine2

Somerford Place is the one we chose for my mother-in-law. It has the same staff there every day. The bathroom is wide open into the room with just a curtain separating it, and the dining room is right across the hall. The other facilities were too big, and Somerford Place best met our needs. It is small with a small living area and only 15 residents maximum. The food is good. They have a room for each person, with a bedroom and bath. The staff is wonderful.

October 29, 2015

By Sandra114295550

I have my husband placed at Somerford Place. I first put him in there as a short-term to see how it was, and he liked it there. I really liked everything they were doing, and I just thought it was perfect for him. The staff is very professional; they are very helpful with any question you have. They do a really good tour, show you where everything is, and introduce you to all the staff. I like their living areas, their bedrooms, and their dining rooms. The whole atmosphere of the place is wonderful. I’ve eaten there, and it’s really good. They have memory-stimulation activities, exercise, and music; they have a lot of interaction. Everybody is always included, regardless of their ability. They do a very thorough work-up of the person’s abilities, and then they interact all the people together; they are able to understand each person’s level of ability.

May 29, 2014

By Paul Williams

My mom lived at Somerford for a year. Everything about the facility is very, very good, and their program is excellent. The rooms were adequate and nice. The décor was very nice and very cheerful. It's a very good place. The food is good, although not great. Most of it is done in a crock pot. The staff are very friendly. They have singing, and they bring in bands all the time. So they have a very, very good program. I hope that the receptionist will be more cheerful. When I come, she does not smile and doesn’t say welcome. She is grouchy.

March 14, 2014

By takaszer

Concerned Loved Ones, Finding Somerford Place was a God-Send for my wife and me. After the death of my 94 year-old father nearly 4 ½ years ago, Judy and I began to see a slow, steady decline in my mother. Gert was always a fiercely independent woman who refused to accept or realize (how much of that refusal was age/dementia related?) her need for assistance as she grew older. After 1½ years of living alone, in a house she had inhabited for 55 years, safety forced us to move her to a secure facility which would appeal to her active lifestyle. Gert most enjoyed the live music and dancing available numerous times each week. I will always cherish our videos dancing, along with summer BBQ’s, and the holiday family dinners. In Somerford we found a safe, caring, friendly, atmosphere which gave us the peace of mind we needed. Our lives were far less stressful knowing that she was safe and loved. Our entire family is tremendously grateful for Somerford Place and its fantastic staff for giving Gert an additional 2 ¾ years of the best quality of life a person of nearly 98 years of age could ask for. Sincerely, Tom & Judy Lodi, CA

December 30, 2013

My uncle is at Somerford Place and it’s a nice facility. They are treating the residents there very nicely and they provide entertainment for them. The food is okay.

December 12, 2013

By MDG

This place was/is a life saver! The facilities are great, but the staff are even better. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, lives with my brother and his family out of town. I wanted to spend more time with my mom as well as give my brother and his wife some relief in caring for my mom. The only problem was it was stressing me out to commute every day from Stockton to the adult care facility she normally attend attends every day (an hour away, each way). I found Somerford Place and they were SO friendly and accommodating. My biggest concern was whether the change would be too much for my mom as any little variance in her daily routine triggers her aggressive behavior. They took the time with my husband and me, with my brother and most importantly, my mom, to ensure we had all the necessary paperwork in order and toured the facility in advance of her stay. The first day I dropped my mom off was very emotional for me. My mom on the other hand, was great! The staff welcomed her and incorporated her right into the activities and residents already there. Peggy was awesome dealing with me and getting me through a transition that proved to me more emotionally difficult for me than my mom. I cannot thank her or the staff enough.

December 04, 2013

By tlcgiver

It was a lucky day we found Somerford Place for my husband. All the people there make it special. The staff encourages the residents, to the best of their abilities, to participate in their daily activities. The residents are cared for in a kindly manner , always with love and respect and sometimes humor to keep their spirits up! My husband can be ornery at times but they take it in their stride, always trying to keep him smiling. I enjoy my visits with him, knowing that for 24 hours/day, he is taken care of by the most patient people in the world.

October 30, 2013

By Donna73376050

One of my parents is a current resident of Somerford. I looked at a few others and it was the best one at that time. It is a very nice and caring facility. The staff is wonderful.

October 16, 2013

By pleased daughter

My mother has been living at Somerford for over three years. I knew when I first walked in the front door that this warm, inviting atmosphere would be just the place for my mom. And it has been. Leslie, the director, sets the tone of caring and respect that filters down to all Somerford employees. Her awareness of family concerns and residents' needs ensure a consistent level of high quality care for each resident. Caregivers are skillful and sensitive in handling each person's needs. It is so reassuring to see how respectfully they handle difficult physical issues and still allow residents to maintain their dignity. I especially want to thank Cora who takes special care of my mom. Nurses are diligent about monitoring the medical needs of each resident and keeping families informed about all aspects of their well being. I appreciate Noreen's willingness to stop and talk to me about my mother. She often shares something fun that my mom has said or done. It is very comforting that she knows everyone so well and is interacting with them so regularly. My mother enjoys the food. Meals are varied and interesting. The kitchen staff also knows each person by name as well as their individual dietary requirements. Michael from the kitchen is especially fun for the residents. He talks and teases them during their meals or whenever he encounters them in the halls. He has even started a Men's Club where the men come into the kitchen to eat together and tell stories or jokes. This seems to provide a sense of camaraderie they shared with friends before their world changed. The Activity Room, run by Chris, provides a variety of programs and lots of fun music. I am very thankful to all of the wonderful staff at Somerford for taking such good care of my mom.

October 11, 2013

By Thankfully

My mother has now been at Somerford Place for over two years and from the very start I knew that she would be well cared for - and she has been. Leslie sets a standard of professionalism and caring that permeates throughout the staff. Leslie's close involvement with day-to-day operations and her accessibility to family members, staff and residents themselves results in a well run and professional atmosphere. My mother will not participate in very many of the ongoing activities at Somerford but she enjoys the sense of life happening around her that the daily activity brings. She likes that "something is always going on" and I can see that it gives her a sense of still being engaged with life in general. I especially appreciate the attention to detail at Somerford which results in a beautiful garden and a celebration of the changing seasons and holidays that contributes to an active engagement of the residents in life. The staff is wonderful, following Leslie's lead of professionalism and kindness. They engage with the residents as people with their own personalities and preferences of which they are very respectful. I have observed staff to be greatly skilled in managing residents while accomplishing the many activities required of their work days. Special thanks to the kitchen staff for providing variety and nutritious (and yummy) food such that my mother gained a sorely needed 25 pounds in her first year at Somerford. I am very grateful to the wonderful staff and their daily efforts and I would recommend Somerford Place as a home for anyone in need of memory care. Thank you Leslie and staff!

October 10, 2013

By haggiss

The staff at Somerford have so much patience and take such good care of my wife Ida, they are always there to help with anything they are all very dedicated and are very loving and caring. The food is so good and plenty of it. I feel very comfortable having my wife at this safe and beautiful place.

October 09, 2013

By New York

My husband has been a resident at Someford Place in Stockton, Caifornia for about six months. From our initial contact to our current interaction, we have been very impressed with the genuine concern for the well-being of my husband and the other residents as well. Leslie, the administrator is very hands on in all the ways you would hope and pray that someone would be. The decision for our family to move my husband to Somerford was a very difficult one made easier by the caring, sensitivity and flexibility of all those involved in his care. In the transition we were impressed with the awareness of the staff to the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual needs of the residents. The attention and flexibility which they incorporate in meeting the needs of each resident(whether it is addjusting his choices for meals, getting up or attending activities) is inspiring and very reassuring. We(our sons, their families and I) are able to feel that though this is an incredibly difficult family situation , finding a residence which affords its residents the ability to maintain self-respect when life seems to be drifting away from their control and their sense of self is compromised is incredibly reassuring. We highly recommend Somerford and while we can't mention everyone definitely wanted to especially thank Leslie, Peggy, Noreen, William, Lulu, Dolly, Mylen, Manny and Chlease who make Somerford the place it is. Thank you also to all those we didn't mention but hope you know we value all you do. Appreciatively, Pat,Miriam, Sea, Caroline, Declan, Bryan, Jenn, Brooke, Liam, Kevin, Kate, Emma, Jack, Brendan and Rachel

October 08, 2013

By Brick resident

My mother has been a resident of Somerford Place for almost two years, in which time I have been able to weekly observe the day to day operations. The building floor plan is perfect for those with memory loss and the decor is a pleasant home style setting. This property is maintained with the highest standards both indoors and outdoors in a safe and pleasant atmosphere. The staff is friendly, caring towards the health and welfare of all residents, and very patient while treating them with respect. They offer a great variety of activities and encourage family members and friends to participate. I am thankful that such a facility is available for my mother's care and highly recommend this place.

September 05, 2013

By Stocktonresident

My Mother resides at Somerford Place. I can honestly say that the staff have always gone out of their to assist her. If I have a concern, it is always addressed. Sometimes, when I can see that a problem exists, they often speak to me before I needed to say anything. What I am trying to say is that they care and look out for her welfare. The food is good, and my Mother is happy there. She attends exercise classes every day, and there are activities throughout the day and some evenings that help her with her memory loss and keeps her active and socializing with others. The layout of the facility is wonderful. Your loved one has an individual room (unless you want him/her to share). The residents socialize in a main living/dining room area near their room. There is also a main gathering room (which could be larger) where the activities are held. The outside is well kept with a cement path for walking and benches for sitting. There are courtyards through out the facility also. My family and I have been very pleased with the care, respect, and dignity given to my Mother thus far.

September 01, 2013

By Jeanneking

My mother Lucille has resided at Somerford Place for about 2 months now. I just can't say enough about how pleased I am with the care she is receiving at Somerford. The staff are outstanding, they and very friendly, always helpful and really appear to enjoy their work! The daily ongoing activities provided. are phenomenal as each resident is offered the opportunity to participate which allows for the much needed stimulation to maintain an active mind and body. I know my Mom has truly benefited from the activities and she especially likes the singing groups. The facility is very clean and tastefully decorated and family members may visit whenever they like and will always find Somerford warm and welcoming. Thank you, Jeanne

August 30, 2013

By robert emmons

My wife, Lucille needs assistance with all of her activities of daily living, bathing, dressing, walking, etc ,. except feeding herself. She was not doing well at home and it became time to seek professional care. My next door neighbor, whose late husband was a resident at Somerford had high praise for the environment at Somerford and the loving care her husband received. One of my two daughter's friends gave her the same report about the care her mother received there. My wife's two months now at Somerford have bourn out these recommendations. The four living units are each equipped with it's own serving kitchen, dining room, sitting room, and laundry and the atmosphere is very home-like. The staff members are unfailingly friendly and cheerful. The meals are tasty and nourishing including ample servings of fruit and vegetables and providing plenty of variety. At home my wife was lethargic and ate poorly. At Somerford she eats every bite of her meals and in response to the daily, 9:00 to 5:00 activities she is much more alert and cheerful. In summary, my daughters and I feel very fortunate to have Somerford Place caring for their mother, my wife of 63 years.
See all Memory Care reviews (28) See fewer reviews

Questions about Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our staff receives in-house dementia training as required by the State of California.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have 8 caregivers on the AM shift and 8 caregivers on the PM shift and 4 on the NOC (overnight) shift. We have 8 managers and 3 LVNs 7 days a week from 8 am to 7 pm Mon - Fri and 8 am to 5 pm on weekends. Med techs pass medications 24/7. We have the capacity of 60 residents and the ratio of caregiver to resident is 1 caregiver to 7.5 residents.

What programs or activities does Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our activity program is the cornerstone of our memory care community, We have varied activities from every morning exercise, hand eye coordinated games, live music, pet therapy, old movies and popcorn just to name a few activities. We have 2 courtyards and a large backyard for fresh air and sunshine and often take our activities outside during the warm months, even our dining!

The Executive and nurses assess residents bi-annually (every six months) or if there is a change of condition.

What techniques does Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Mealtime is a lovely atmosphere with fresh flowers everyday while music from our resident's era is played. We use dark tablecloths and bright fiesta ware so the eye is drawn to the plate. Our food choices are butlered at each table so the resident can see the food and choose what they like on their plate. We provide vegetarian, diabetic menus and other special diets.

How does Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our nurses on staff keep our families informed of their loved one's health and families know they can call and email for any health questions or even if it is just a wellness call.

Describe the neighborhood around Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Summerfield of Stockton Memory Care is located in a business park setting surrounded by lovely residential homes.

Is Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Summerfield Memory Care is not affiliated with a hospital, however families are asked what their preferred hospital for their loved one is, so that if their loved one needs to go to the hospital, they will be taken to their hospital of their choice.

Costs for Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

• Spanish
  • Vietnamese

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

About Summerfield Memory Care of Stockton

Beautiful Stand-alone Memory Care community in the Brookside area of Stockton for the past 23 years. The community sits on 2 acres with beautiful walking paths, courtyards and Activities specific to Memory Care.

Experience in the Senior Care Industry of 23 years in standalone Memory Care