Monte Vista Village

Reviews of Monte Vista Village

Assisted Living Reviews for Monte Vista Village

November 09, 2017

By Linda M S

SMy mother is 95. She has lived at Monte Vista Village for 3 1/2 years. She moved to independent living there after coming to San Diego from Florida when she could no longer live on her own. Her lodging was a spacious one bedroom apartment, certainly larger than one bedroom apartments I’ve lived in. It was completely refurbished before she moved in with new kitchen, new bathroom and new carpeting. She thrived there, learning new activities like wii bowling and she always enjoyed the Wednesday afternoon happy hour which had a different musical program every week. About a year ago she had a medical crisis which required her to move to Monte Vista’s Assisted Living building. We were immediately helped by the Monte Vista nursing staff and they problem solved with us, providing a place for her in assisted living as soon as it was needed. Her new studio apartment in Heritage House, her assisted living building, has the same large bedroom, large closets and bathroom as her one bedroom...except now her door opens onto the communal living room where she now spends most of her days. Without exception we have found the Monte Vista staff to be kind, caring and conscientious. My communication with the Heritage House staff has been extremely helpful. They call me when they see a problem and they are immediately available when I’ve called them for assistance. I highly recommend Monte Vista Village for any seniors looking for either an independent or assisted living residence. Linda M S, daughter of 3 1/2 yr Monte Vista resident

Linda M S, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again.

August 31, 2015

Our mother-in-law is now in Monte Vista Village. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The environment is comfortable and caring. She seems pleased to be there. We have been quite positive about it.

Anonymous112337150, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Monte Vista Village!

January 27, 2015

By Laf0807

My mother-in-law was in very bad shape and in ill health after trying to live on her own. So much to a point that we thought she may need constant bed care. After a week in this place (the assisted living part) she was a new person. She has been there a month now and is going to exercise classes in her wheel chair, telling us about the happy hours, eating great and loving life again. The staff is awesome about helping her and getting her to events and activities. She is even walking again with her walker which is amazing after so short a time. The food they serve is NOT old folks home bland stuff. The salads are full of spring greens and spinach leaves and they are served with shoe wheat bread. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. It's definitely not a chore to visit as it was when my grandparents were in assisted living. Nothing gloomy about this place! If you are considering a change for yourself or a loved one I truly recommend it.

Laf0807, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Monte Vista Village!

Independent Living Reviews for Monte Vista Village

October 14, 2021

By SLParsons

Having gone through the process of finding residential care for my mother who had dementia, I was aware of what I wanted in a senior living facility of my own. I have been here only four weeks, but love it. I am very independent and can choose if I want meals or not, the staff is exceptional, and my apartment is spacious. I have already begun recommending Monte Vista to friends.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at Pacifica Senior Living Spring Valley. We're happy we could meet your expectations! Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let the world know about your positive experience. Have a great day!

August 03, 2021

By Susan

I am a resident of Monte Vista Village. I'm with my mother who has Alzheimer's and I'm her caregiver, so we have the two-bedroom. If there's ever a problem, I feel real safe here knowing that they can take care of us. So far, so good. I really, really love it. I've been doing all my landscaping outside and everybody's enjoying it. The staff is very helpful and they've been good to me. I've not had any problem whatsoever with them. The floor plan is wonderful. It's really, really nice. We have the biggest one here, and it's the only one that's a two-bedroom and I absolutely love it. I have two chihuahuas. The food is very, very good. I'm allergic to certain things, so I really appreciate them putting a weekly menu out. Any kind of peppers, I get very, very ill, so if it's on the menu, I'll just cook in the apartment and fix something. It's only happened a couple of times, so no problem. We all have to wear masks and some forget. If you come in without a mask on like in the dining area, they will provide one for you to put on. They're very, very strict on that. I'm kind of trapped in here with my mother because I can't leave her for five minutes. I have to have a babysitter, so I get one of the residents that's not quite demented. This one woman that I get over here is very nice. It's no more than two hours every Tuesdays and Thursdays. Those two hours make all the difference in the world to me because I get claustrophobic being in here seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Just getting out for a couple of hours a week really helps. With mom's insurance, she's on a hospice situation where they allow a babysitter to come in and take care of her on one of those days, so I can stay out as long as I want on that day. I get back before lunchtime. It shouldn't take more than two hours. They give us an hour and a half for the lunch, so I'm not concerned about my mother missing it. We all look out for each other here. I've made a lot of good friends. These people here are so sweet. There are only two gentlemen that I have gotten into a little bit of a disagreement with, but everybody feels the same way. They're kind of timid, but they're sweet people. I love everyone in here except for those two. I have no problem. I've put about $4000 or $5000 worth of gardening into my area. I have two patios in the back and I've gotten little birds. I'm in a cool place where I get a real cool breeze, wind chimes and everything. Everybody comes up and it's talk of the table here. I'm hoping to stay here, but it depends on my mother. I cannot afford it by myself, but with her Social Security check and mine and my dad's pension and everything, we're able to afford this this one because it's the most expensive one here. If worse comes to worst, I can always go down to a studio. The studios are very big and the one-bedrooms are big and they're nice. I've had plumbing problems and a fan problem. My mother's fan and light in the ceiling has not worked since the day we've moved in here. They say they got all the parts and they've just been busy and I understand that, but I'd like to get that taken care of because she's really uncomfortable in there, especially in the heat. She's in the back of the house like where I am, but I have an air-conditioner in my room, so I'm not uncomfortable at all, but she is. I've had plumbing problems with my toilet overflowing twice now since I've been here, but it's because of all the roots that are in the trees because this is an old property. They've had to call in a private plumber a couple of times now and get in there and really root it out. I assure them that I'm not putting anything in the toilet that's not supposed to be there. My mother's flush is really good. There's no problem in her bathroom, but I've got the smaller toilet and it doesn't flush as easy. That's the only problem whatsoever that I've had, but they take care of it immediately. The staff is good, except for one lady at the front desk in the lobby. I get along with her OK. She's gotten a little nippy with me a couple of times, but I just kind of let it roll off my shoulder. She's just very strong willed and she speaks her mind. If you piss her off, she's going to tell you, but she's been OK with me. I know she's got a tough job. I think she's the main head of the receptionists out there. I can understand, so I try to be as patient as I can be with her. Everybody else, I have no problem. The manager is a wonderful lady. I'm very happy. I want to put in a good word for the maintenance assistant. The main guy was in Texas for a couple of weeks and he stepped right up. He came in and did work for me. He's just been wonderful and he's got the best attitude. He greets everybody in the morning. He's always got a smile on his face and he says good morning to everybody and how are you doing. He even helped out with the plumbing the other day. The head cleaning lady did a wonderful job. She's very thorough. Everything has been really good for me. I think the food is delicious. My hat off to the chef there. I think he's doing a wonderful job, but they seem understaffed. They have like two people running back and forth. When you first come in, you get your food or salad, then you go to the main menu and then you get your drinks and your desserts and soup. There seems to be not enough people like there are only two handling all those sections. They had another lady that they just hired, and she seems really nice. She's trying to get used to everything. They're doing good. They also have what is called a sit-down dining room. Ever since I've been in here, I haven't been able to do that. If I can get my mother to go down there and sit and order off a menu, that would be really nice. However, she will not leave the apartment and she just cannot stand in the line. If they could get that open again, we would all be very happy. I go down to pick her food and I have to bring it back to the apartment. I have to make sure I get down there early enough to be around the first in the line, so I can get back to the apartment real fast. Otherwise, there's a long line and you got to wait and I'm worrying about her and whether she's tripping or going out the back door. I just can't get her to go out. If we could get that dining room open where you can order off a menu, I could sit there with her, make sure she sits still and doesn't wander off. I would recommend it to everybody. Jackie was so accommodating. I gave her $300 to hold the apartment because she could've rented it out to anybody because it's the only two-bedroom apartment in this whole place. I was honest with her. She was honest with me. I moved in exactly the day that I said I was going to and that really meant a lot to her. It all worked out really well. I'm very happy. I've met some wonderful neighbors. We've been very helpful to each other. I had one came over and babysat for me one day and there's another one that just moved in and I've become very good friends with her. This last Sunday, another one on my other side just moved in. I hope she doesn't get upset that I've landscaped her area in front. Everybody loves it. The only other problem that I can see is a lot of guests that come over are not wearing masks. That kind of irritates me because we have to have them on. If we don't have them on, they're going to be issued to us and warn us. I always wear mine. There are people who walk through the cafeteria and come in one door, but they still should have a mask on. In fact, they didn't even check in. They're supposed to check in at the front desk and get a sticker because they have to monitor them, give them a check on their forehead to see if they have a fever. They're just happy go lucky and they're bringing flowers in with no mask. I didn't say anything to them because that's not my business. I don't know what the situation is there. I know they did not go to the office because they came from a different area, but the office should be aware of that.

Susan, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience here; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put resident experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

August 02, 2021

By Su

I just moved here in Monte Vista Village three weeks ago. I find it delightful. It's a beautiful physical place with 50-year-old trees and flowers and the gardening is just extraordinarily beautiful. The home I'm living in is enormous to me. I have a very nice, big living room, my own kitchenette area, a complete bathroom, and a very nice large bedroom with sliding glass windows to the other side and more beautiful trees and gardening. I've already recommended it to other people, and I've only been here three weeks. They have an outdoor pool and that's really a hot item. They have a gymnasium. There's a beautiful dining room where we go three times a day. There's a beautiful living area in the dining room with a fireplace and a place for musicians who come in once a week and entertain us. We've got a nice library. There is a large building, and it serves a hundred people who go do exercises there and they even have weddings there now and then. It's so nice. The food is extraordinary, and there are always options. There's not one main meal, there's always options to choose from. There are multiple things to choose from to do. There are people that organize card games. A different group comes every Wednesday at 2:30 and puts on live music for us while we enjoy having a soda or even a beer, and it's just lots of fun. I'm glad I found this place. A friend recommended it to me and brought me over. I had gone to about four other places that were very nice and very upscale, but this one was so charming that I didn't even hesitate.

Hello, thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience here; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put resident experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

July 05, 2021

By Gabriel

I visited Monte Vista Village for a friend, and it is absolutely perfect. The staff were helpful, kind, and just great to work with and to talk to. I saw a studio apartment. It would work so well for him because it's better than what he's living in now. He would get meals. He would get his laundry done and light housekeeping. They have Koi ponds and a great big grassy courtyard. It was very beautiful.

Hello, thank you for your positive review, we are grateful to see that you feel this way! We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Monte Vista Village. Thank you again, we hope you have a wonderful day!

June 26, 2021

By E.C.

The setup at Monte Vista Village is very good and the atmosphere is very good. The staff who gave the tour was very helpful and very pleasant.

Hi E.c., we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience!

December 21, 2020

By Cheryl

My mother moved into Monte Vista Village. It is wonderful. 'Cause Lemon Grove is an older area, from the outside it may not look like it's in the best area, but inside the property, the grounds are just beautiful. They've got their koi pond, they've got flowers everywhere, it's really nice walking, like a whole little area that they can walk in, and it's very inviting. In spite of the pandemic, I do know that they have bingo going on right now, they also have happy hours. Right now it's a mobile happy hour where they go to each resident's place, and I think the assisted living offers that as well. I know they also offer arts and crafts, they just recently opened their main dining hall, it's great, they have on one side a buffet, and one side a sit-down, the area itself is really nice, it's kept really clean. I know they have a topnotch chef there who came from another hotel property I think, and my mom never seems to complain about the food, she always seem to think it's pretty good. Even during COVID they had them ordering off menus, and everything was usually pretty good.

April 05, 2019

By Ray

Our experience at Monte Vista Village is very positive. The personnel are very friendly and helpful. The grounds are flat, which makes it easy for me. The rooms are very nice and comfortably designed. There is a lot of storage space for such a small area. They have an assisted living area, too. They have a barbershop, a pharmacy, and a nice restaurant area. I find Monte Vista Village to be a very nice place.

Ray, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again.

September 28, 2017

By Debra

Monte Vista Village is very homey. My mom is not moving right away, but it's the community that we have decided on. The staff is very friendly, and it looks like they have a lot of staff working. The dining setup is very nice.

May 20, 2014

By Helen C

I recently lived at Monte Village for several months to escape the Eastern cold and to visit a friend. I did so with some trepidation , not knowing what to expect. What I found was a pleasant surprise. It was a lovely facility with beautiful grounds, friendly residents and good food. The staff was superior in every aspect and provided the highest quality of service. There was an ample amount of special activities. Some for fun and some geared toward health and well-being. The atmosphere was home-like and friendly. What I observed of cleanliness, security and care seemed top rate. The permanent residents semed happy and satisfied . There could be no better recommendation than that.

Helen C, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Monte Vista Village!

December 17, 2012

By sandiegoscott

My uncle has spent 3 1/2 months here in independent living, but with some assistance bathing. The best part of this place is not the attractive facility (reminds of a tropical resort), or the food (which is pretty good; I've eaten there quite a few times), but the friendly, helpful, and caring staff. Where do they find these people? They're terrific. Not everything has gone perfectly, but that would be a miracle. The transition to a new routine and the differences in all sorts of small things took awhile for my uncle to learn and there were a few small problems. But they let him keep his cat and that helped him accept the move. I have felt so much better since getting him there, and he says he likes it, "it's a good place" as he puts it. I think it is too.

Questions about Monte Vista Village

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Monte Vista Village. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents are friendly, vibrant and advocates for each other. The average age is mid 80s. Our residents love social gatherings, live music, as well as walking around and enjoying our beautiful garden setting grounds.

What programs or activities does Monte Vista Village offer to enrich residents' well-being?

MVV offers a wide variety of life enrichment programs for our residents including daily exercise classes, Bingo, arts & crafts, happy hour, Tai Chi, movies, Bible study, Trivia, live music/entertainment, scenic drives and more.

What places are near Monte Vista Village or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Residents enjoy the 8 acres of paved pathways on our campus. Monte Vista Village is minutes away from grocery shopping, restaurants and Grossmont Center mall. Minutes away from area hospitals including Sharp Grossmont.

What transportation services does Monte Vista Village offer to assisted living residents?

Two shopping days a week to the nearest shopping centers and three designated days for medical/dental appointments, scenic drives on the weekend, and transportation to church services on Sundays.

What makes the chef or dining program at Monte Vista Village exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chefs have work experience in fine dining restaurants and have been working at MVV for over 10 years. We offer buffet style and restaurant style dining.

What safety features or security measures does Monte Vista Village offer to assisted living residents?

There is on-site staff at MVV 24 hours a day 7 seven days a week. After normal office hours, we have overnight security patrolling our campus grounds.

How does Monte Vista Village keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We have a monthly newsletter and activities calendar. We also have a family email distribution list to inform them of any changes or upcoming events.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Monte Vista Village during daytime and nighttime hours?

During daytime hours, we generally have 2 caregivers in each assisted living building. Assisted living has a total of 26 residents. We have 4 additional caregiving staff servicing both independent and assisted living. At night, there care staff ratio varies.

If Monte Vista Village accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

MVV is pet-friendly and allows small dogs and cats. Cats are to remain indoors and dogs must be on a leash and can enjoy any of the outdoor areas of our campus.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All staff is required to do mandatory online and in-person training on an annual basis. CPR certification must be up-to-date. Staff who provide direct patient care, must do recertification for the services they provide.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Monte Vista Village. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Monte Vista Village has organized?

Scenic tour.

What transportation services does Monte Vista Village offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Monte Vista Village exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Resident lounge consisting of our two dining halls, billiard table, TV area, library, north and south pavilions, shuffleboard, putting green, pond, auditorium, pool, Hair Hut and gift shop.

What safety features or security measures does Monte Vista Village offer to independent living residents?

What safety features or security measures does Monte Vista Village provide to protect residents who wander?

All staff are required to observe our residents and report any concerns such as cognitive decline/wandering.

Costs for Monte Vista Village

Payment options

• Credit Card
  • Check

About Monte Vista Village

Monte Vista Village offers exceptional Independent Living, Assisted Living, and respite care in Lemon Grove CA.

As part of the Pacifica Senior Living portfolio, this gem of a community offers the highest quality care for seniors Garden patios, lush gardens, pool. Easily accessible in Lemon Grove, CA.

Map of Monte Vista Village