Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Reviews of Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Independent Living Reviews for Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

March 18, 2021

By Ruth

I live in Sycamore Glen. It has been very good. I've been here for four and a half years, and I'm a widow and 90 years old. I had fallen and broken my hip, so I had to give up my home. I use a walker but I'm quite independent otherwise. I don't drive anymore but everything here seems to be very good. I have a 1-bedroom apartment, and I sew and make quilts. The people here are very good to us. They clean our rooms once a week, and we have three meals a day. We play cards and there's entertainment, but of course with this pandemic now, we have been quite confined to our rooms. It's getting better now, we could eat in the dining room and we don't have to wear our masks inside. It has been hard not being able to go out and visit, but that's not their fault here. We also have had our two shots already. Food is very well done. I usually eat breakfast here by myself because I have a coffee pot in my room, but the meals are good. There's soup, salad, main dish and dessert, and we have choices. There are days when I don't like the food, but then you can get other things. There is an exercise area, I don't usually go to it, but we walk a lot around outside and we have exercise classes twice a week and a very good teacher. We do chair exercises or line dancing with our walkers. However, I wish we had a spa or a bathtub, and that's just something extra that I would really like, but for the money, we couldn't afford it here.

Thank you, Ruth, for your kind words. We appreciate you and are thankful that you choose to make Sycamore Glen your home.

January 26, 2021

By J. Arnold

During this pandemic crisis, Sycamore staff has worked tirelessly to keep the residents safe. Can't thank them enough.

Heroes truly do work here!

October 09, 2020

By Nick

My mother has moved into Sycamore Glen. I haven't really spent very much time there, and it hasn't been very long that she's been there. It seems to be an active place for older people. With the pandemic, we weren't allowed to go in for a while, but everybody I've dealt with seemed very good. She's told me that she's playing some games, and they have movies. I know that she's been to at least one movie. She's very complimentary of the food. From what I've seen so far, from the little bit that I know, and have seen, everything is very good. She is at the last apartment on a long hall, but you can go outside and go into the main entry. You don't have to go all the way down the hall and down the other hall, and that's a nice feature for her.

April 13, 2020

By Michael

Sycamore Glen Active Senior Community was a big place and was okay, though it wasn't anything spectacular. The dining area was a little bit bigger. And they have you set up on the same table every night so they can keep an eye on you. They did group trips to casinos and to different places, they did a lot of those kinds of things. They didn't have a pool, they're just a basic community, though they have places for people to sit.

March 16, 2020

By Ralph

I have visited friends in Sycamore Glen. It's more affordable than my mom's current community and they have a few more activities. Their median age is also lower. They always have something going on, and a lot of the activities are actually run by the residents. That's a good sign of high morale with the residents. They just do what they want to do, and if something is great they just go for it. It's a different mentality and everybody likes everybody else. They have game rooms, hobby rooms, laundry rooms, a pool table, a music room, meeting room, and a cafeteria. The place itself is in pretty good shape, although it's older than my mom's current place. The staff loves their residents and it's really obvious. The food is good, I have eaten there, and they have an excellent chef.

July 22, 2019

By Daughter-in-law

Wonderful community! Only regret is not finding it sooner! Father in-law was home all day alone while we worked. We were selfish to think WE were enough for his life. He need friends his age and activities to look forward to each day! Now he has both plus more fun than anybody his age should have! And the food is delicious 😋

May 20, 2019

By Dan

Sycamore Glen is the one we like the most. They had studio apartments and 1-bedroom apartments. It wasn't quite as modern in its layout. It was quite adequate other than the rooms being a bit smaller. When we were there, residents were finishing a Sunday lunch and were starting card games. There was craft session going on. Everybody was doing something and seemed positive about it. The little interaction that I had with the staff was also quite positive. They had a few common rooms, a common kitchen where you could do a larger baking projects, a couple of card rooms, arts and crafts room, and a small exercise facility.

May 16, 2019

By David

Sycamore Glen was very nice. The people were prepared for us and were waiting for us when we showed up. The staff was very nice and organized and the facility was clean. It was a good experience. The place is quiet, relaxed and comfortable. They have a good transportation program. They have a lot of musical activities, piano, and events going on. They have access to facilities if you want to cook outside of your unit. They fed us lunch and it was very good.

August 30, 2018

By Kay

Sycamore Glen's grounds are nice and the people are nice. The food is excellent. There's a soup, salad, and dessert bar anytime between 11:00 and 5:00, which is great. The apartment I looked at was very nice and acceptable to me. I wasn't too happy about the $2,500 non-refundable deposit, which was outrageous and over the top, so I told the supervisor to call me if they have an offer of a free move-in. The residents were all friendly and the staff was nice.

March 01, 2018

By denise712

I cannot say enough positive things about Sycamore Glen and the amazing staff. They have been incredibly supportive and patient as my father worked through his decision to relocate from San Diego to Chico to be closer to family. It took almost 2 years and over the entire time Barbara and Stephanie were nothing but kind, compassionate, patient and supportive! Since moving in a couple of weeks ago my father has transitioned incredibly well. He spends time in the lobby talking with other residents, is playing Bridge almost every day and is thoroughly enjoying conversations with his meal time table mates. All in all WONDERFUL!

January 05, 2018

By Sunni

I visited Sycamore Glen. I didn't go to an apartment, but I went inside the hallways and it's a little bit more hospital like. Their menu was better and had a lot of selection. The dining area was a little nicer than the other places. It's a little bit more formal and a little prettier. They had a lot more activities. They also have yoga. The facility was beautiful.

July 17, 2017

By Evelyn

I feel like I am on a cruise as the entire staff treats us (residents) like we are the most important people in the world! Food is great. Activities are plentiful and varied. I couldn't ask for more.

March 28, 2017

By Satisfied daughter 2

Moved Mother from a Chico retirement center. Comparing Sycamore Glen to the other location is like night and day. Sycamore Glen offers great food selections, extremely professional staff, and activities that stimulates participation within the community. The facilities are kept clean and support to resolve any problems are promptly addressed. (We have had to install an answering machine to leave a message for our Mother to call us when she had time to do so.)

March 06, 2017

By Joyce608286

Sycamore Glen was very nice but not as big as the other one. It has a nice restaurant but less menu choices. The other one has a swimming pool, and this one doesn’t, but it was a very nice place. They were very nice, and when I called with questions, they answered them right away. There were people playing cards and different things.

Thank you for your kind words. Were you aware of our "Any Time Dining", with a full restaurant style menu which offers over 50 entree options? We believe we are the only senior community in Chico with such offerings. We do not have a swimming pool. We let the beautiful, local health club, In Motion, handle the maintenance and insurance of keeping a swimming pool and we offer new residents a one year membership for their senior program should they be interested in aqua classes.

February 01, 2017

By bkkupp

My older brother is living at Sycamore Glen and enjoys it very much. His studio apartment is in excellent condition, the staff are very cordial and attentive to his needs, and he enjoys the relationship with other seniors.

February 01, 2017

By SusanSerembe

Very caring and helpful staff. Comfortable and safe place to live.

February 05, 2014

Sycamore Glen was a beautiful facility. The food was very good. I had a meal there and it was very nice. I'm a reader and I asked if they had a library; however, what they had there were a couple of racks that turned and had books on them. That's not quite what I was looking for. The people were very nice, but they're a little limited. Overall, it isn't what I personally would want, but it is a very nice facility.

Questions about Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Sycamore Glen has 120 apartments. The average age of our current residents is 87 years young. We like to think that we help to add years to our residents' lives by adding life to their years. Our residents enjoy card games (including bridge), Bingo, group exercise classes, Wii bowling, Poker, Bible Study, Choir group, Dominoes, Live musical performers, outings to local theaters, Casino trips, Happy Hours, Group trips to local restaurants, and movies (including old favorites and new releases).

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Chico, California is well known as a "City of Trees". Bidwell Park, at over 3,600 acres, is the 3rd largest municipal park in California. Chico is also home to the Wildcats of CSUChico, which offers various sporting events, and theater events. The Chico Heat baseball team returned in 2016 and found great success as Champions of the Great West League. The Chico Theater Company is nearby, and our residents enjoy trips for their many performances.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community has organized?

A group of residents recently took a day trip to Roseville, to enjoy lunch out at The Cheesecake Factory. Once a month, a trip to a local casino is scheduled. A group of residents enjoyed "A Game's Afoot" at Paradise's Theater on the Ridge.

What transportation services does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community offer to independent living residents?

Our Sycamore Glen bus travels around town 4 days each week. We have divided the City of Chico in half, north and south, and our residents schedule doctor's visits and shopping trips according to the posted schedule. Many of our residents also use the B-Line para-transit as a supplement to our bus service. It offers a convenient and affordable option.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Sycamore Glen offers "Any time dining". Our dining room is open all day long for our residents' convenience. We offer a full, restaurant style menu with over 50 options. Our residents enjoy a full salad bar and homemade soup de jour. Our Chef is able to purchase through local channels, this enables the kitchen staff to prepare the freshest meals possible. Never is any additional salt added during food preparation. Our Chef is willing to review our menu with any residents with dietary restrictions, in effort for them to make the best food choices.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Sycamore Glen has beautiful common areas for residents and their guests to enjoy. We call one room "The Key Room". Residents may use this room for entertaining,, with meals served if they wish. Our Fireside Room plays host to various musical performer and many group games including Bingo. We show movies several times a week in our theater, and group exercise classes, and community meetings are held there as well. Sycamore Glen has 4 beautifully landscaped courtyards with walking paths and water features. The Activity Courtyard has a regulation Bocce Ball court, horseshoe pit and a golf putting green. Our fitness room offers a myriad of fitness machines, and is open all day for convenience.

What safety features or security measures does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community offer to independent living residents?

There are 2 emergency pull cords in each apartment. Sycamore Glen has 24 hour staffed security, 7 days a week, to tend to our resident's needs.

If Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We know that pets enrich the lives of our residents, so we are happy to be a "Pet friendly" community. We ask that dog owners be respectful of those neighbors who may not be dog lovers, and keep their dogs on leash at all times in the common areas. Dog owners are required to pick up after their pets, or hire help if needed.

Does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Many of our residents are in need of home care services. There are many home care companies available, and our residents are welcome to contract with whoever they prefer. We do ask that any home care workers are licensed via the State of California guidelines.

Costs for Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Tai Chi

About Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Sycamore Glen - Retirement Living The Way It Should Be

We are located amid the tree filled beauty and serenity of Chico, California. Sycamore Glen blends sophisticated services with resort style ambiance as Butte County's premiere Active Senior Community. Our warm, friendly, and professionally trained staff have established a fine reputation for providing the highest quality of services and hospitality

Every Apartment Includes:
  • Private Patio
  • Individually controlled thermostat
  • Kitchenette
  • Walk-in closet
  • Step in shower with seat
  • All utilities paid
  • Satellite television
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Emergency Response System
Dine in our Elegant Fountain Café:
  • All day restaurant style dining
  • Over 40 chef prepared meal options
  • Garden fresh salad bar 7 days a week
  • Homemade soups prepared daily
  • Delicious dessert options
Enjoy our Tranquil 3 Acre Property:
  • Four beautiful courtyards
  • New Golf Putting Green
  • Serene sitting areas and gazebos
  • Fish pond
  • Bocce Ball Court
  • Computer and free Wifi
  • Horseshoe Pit
  • Lush fountains
  • Raised flower and vegetable gardens
Our Beautiful Indoor Common Areas Feature:
  • Fireside Lounge and Library
  • Custom murals and fish aquarium
  • Craft Room and Card areas
  • Game and billiards room
  • Theater and exercise room
  • Resident General Store
  • Complimentary Laundry Facilities
  • Beauty Salon and Barber Shop
  • The List Goes On!

That’s why we are a cut above even the best retirement communities in Chico CA

We are committed to offering you a gracious lifestyle, security and peace of mind in a very caring and loving environment.

Map of Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community