Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Reviews of Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Independent Living Reviews for Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

April 23, 2021

By Joan

I've been here at Sycamore Glen for 11 years now. The staff is really great. They hire professional people for the main jobs. They hire college aides occasionally and high school servers and work in the kitchen. They are well screened, and they are really caring kids. We have our rooms cleaned once a week by more adult type people. They do a good job. The facilities are very good. They have 1-bedroom units and they all have a balcony that looks out either on a courtyard or some that look out away from the building. I have a 1-bedroom and it's very adequate. It has room for a small dining table which I don't have because I seldom eat in my room. They serve three meals a day and if you're sick, they will deliver to your room. They have a plenty large bedroom, a bathroom with a shower, and a big walk-in closet. They have a lot of entertainment, but this year a few outsiders were able to come in. Things were restricted just for this year because of the virus. During that time, our meals were being delivered to our room or else we could go down and pick them up and take them to our room, but since we've now all had our second shots, we are now back down in the dining room. The dining room is open at 7:00 and the lunch starts at 11:00 and goes until quarter to 1:00. However, I play golf, so sometimes I don't get home until 2:30 or so and I can just go in the dining room and pretty much order off of like a restaurant menu. Dinners are 4:00 to quarter to 6:00. They have movies three times a week. There's just plenty to do. You can opt to do a lot of things or not as you so desire. I'm sure there will be more, but we're still restricted by the governor. I find the food very good. They have so many options. It's a regular restaurant menu. They offer at noon and at dinnertime two different meals. Last night, it was spaghetti and meatballs and two or three salads, and if you didn't want that, you could order a hamburger, salmon, and one of my favorites is Shrimp Louie. They have desserts and ice creams. Our Sunday meal is usually a little fancy and we usually have pie. Normally, you could go down and get coffee anytime you want, but now because of the restrictions they'll just bring you coffee and some cookies. They have a machine that has Coke and lemonade that normally we can go in and get our own, now we just need to ask the staff and then they'll go get them for you. You can have a root beer float anytime of the day. They have plenty of parking. They celebrate everybody's birthday with balloons and cake. They celebrate everybody's birthday that month with a special dinner. They have really good roast beef. We have 24-hour security. After the main staff leaves, there's somebody who's there all night. I think there's one that comes at 6:00 and stays until midnight and another one from midnight on. We have pull cords in our room if we need to get them. Everybody here is supposed to be healthy and able to take care of themselves. We have handyman all the time working hard. They have spent a lot of time on their garden, so we have a lot of fresh vegetables and they just put up a hut house and I'm sure this isn't in their job description, they just went ahead and did it. A lot of us play cards and that keeps us busy, but right now we're not having many outside things. However, we are having more and more. We have movies three times a week and line dancing. It's a really good value.

Thank you Joan for your kind words. Thank you for choosing to make Sycamore Glen your home and for helping make it such a great place to live and work!

April 19, 2021

By Wendy

I am so happy to know my Mom and her husband are being cared for at Sycamore Glen. They absolutely love all the activities provided and the support of the staff! Such piece of mind when I am so far away especially through the time of quarantine. The facility provided a very safe environment.

Thank you for your 5 Star review! We appreciate your kind words and are happy to know you are pleased that your parents are living with us at Sycamore Glen.

April 09, 2021

By ranijean

I moved my aunt into Sycamore Glen, and during my week working to do that, I found the residents to be so very friendly and kind. The facility is wonderful, very comfortable, and offers all the amenties anyone might need or want. They seem to have a very full calendar of events to choose from, and varied menu (super great Chef who is willing to work with you on diet issues), and a priceless staff. The staff has been so kind and helpful from day 1, and continue to do all they can to assist my family with this move and big change. I high recommend Sycamore Glen to anyone looking for independent living in the Chico area.

Thank you Rani, for your kind words. We are pleased that you have chosen Sycamore Glen for your Aunt!

April 07, 2021

By Loving Daughter

My widowed Mom has lived at The Glen for almost 2 years after the Camp Fire forced her to reevaluate her living situation. She made a very, very good choice! When we first toured in late 2018, those we queried in the halls would share how pleased they were with the food. That's important! The Glen offers diverse menus--- not "here's what you're having. Like it and clean your plate" which is common at other local independent living residences. It is an institutional kitchen, but the staff CARES, are as accommodating as possible and they prepare as close to gourmet meals as their budget allows. They are very creative as they stretch that budget and use produce grown in their extensive, onsite garden. The dining room experience is a delight! The staff is SO personable and they CARE about the residents. There are relationships built--- and that is a very good thing. As a whole, the ENTIRE staff at The Glen are accommodating--- from the front desk to maintenance. In my multiple interactions with all these folk, I sense that they all care deeply for the residents--- I will be brave and say that I believe the staff love their residents... and it shows. Staff is readily available to the residents and their interaction with them is comforting for this daughter. Again, relationships are built--- and that is a good thing. Will add that Mom was at The Glen during the COVID pandemic. I cannot speak highly enough about how staff protected the residents. It is apparent that staff sacrificed in their personal lives to protect residents of The Glen. We were able to visit Mom, but protocols instituted by savvy management, guaranteed Mom's safety. So grateful for those protocols AND the communications from management to the residents explaining the necessity of their protective protocols. The facility is maintained. It isn't run down. There are frequent improvements ongoing. Multiple courtyard areas provide varied outdoor experiences for residents such as a courtyard that features a fountain, a courtyard that features a koi pond with gazebo and a courtyard that features outdoor activities such as bocce ball. When it comes to value of The Glen--- of course any family member is going to want their parents' nest egg to last. Money can always be a point of contention, yes? And, any increase in the residents' "rent" can be received with growls & scowls. However, the value of The Glen lies in how inclusive their services are and the value of their staff. Enough said. Mom is a social butterfly. Fortunately, The Glen--- now coming out of the pandemic scare with the majority of residents & staff innocculated--- is revving up their pre-pandemic activities. The Glen "limo" is ready to deliver residents to shopping excursions & medical appointments. "Joy rides" are offered--- trips to Table Top Mountain to view wildflowers, trips to Bidwell Park. Also, within The Glen, are volunteer opportunities so that the residents can interact closely & feel that they are contributing to the community. This daughter, and her husband, do not hesitate to recommend Sycamore Glen to anyone who may consider living in the facility. To their loved ones concerned about their parental units, be comforted to know that your folk will be well loved. Give them a call! Take a tour! And yes, this daughter is a real person & has not been compensated in any way to create this review. :)

April 05, 2021

By SharonaB

This facility is amazing. I would have to say the best part is the staff. They are friendly and readily available to help their clients with anything (including their TV, cell phones and computers). Residents feel a part of this family. I noticed during covid, they would even go to the store for residents to keep them safer. I feel the safety of the residents was of the upmost importance during covid.

Thank you for your 5 Star review! Our staff worked really hard this past year to keep our residents safe and healthy! Heroes really do work here!

March 25, 2021

By Dorothy

I enjoy it here. The staff is wonderful. The food is very good, we have a menu, and they serve meals 3 times a day. We have games, we play cards, and we have exercises. You can't put it all in all the time, it's really quite active. They are very kind to you, if you have a problem, they fix it as soon as they can. They're very, very generous with their hospitality, and I like the residents, too. I've been here almost two years now. They're very nice people and they're accommodating. I have no negative things. If we don't like what they're serving, we can order something else. I'm happy here.

Thank you for your 5 Star review, Dotty! We are so happy you have chosen to make Sycamore Glen your home. Thank you for helping to make Sycamore Glen such a great place to be!

March 25, 2021

By Charlotte

I think Sycamore Glen is a great place to be. They treat us all good, and they try to keep activities going that we might be interested in. I think the staff on the whole is very good. They are very considerate, and they do their best to take good care of us. They're getting better with the meals, and they maintain the facility very well. We are getting the value for our money. There is one exercise class that I take which I like very well. If you have a problem, you can go to the front desk and they'll either solve it or tell you how to solve it or they'll refer you to somebody else if necessary.

Thank you for your kind words Charlotte! We are delighted to have you, again, with us at Sycamore Glen. Thank you for helping to make it such a great place to be!

March 18, 2021

By Ruth

I live in Sycamore Glen. It has been very good. I've been here for four and a half years, and I'm a widow and 90 years old. I had fallen and broken my hip, so I had to give up my home. I use a walker but I'm quite independent otherwise. I don't drive anymore but everything here seems to be very good. I have a 1-bedroom apartment, and I sew and make quilts. The people here are very good to us. They clean our rooms once a week, and we have three meals a day. We play cards and there's entertainment, but of course with this pandemic now, we have been quite confined to our rooms. It's getting better now, we could eat in the dining room and we don't have to wear our masks inside. It has been hard not being able to go out and visit, but that's not their fault here. We also have had our two shots already. Food is very well done. I usually eat breakfast here by myself because I have a coffee pot in my room, but the meals are good. There's soup, salad, main dish and dessert, and we have choices. There are days when I don't like the food, but then you can get other things. There is an exercise area, I don't usually go to it, but we walk a lot around outside and we have exercise classes twice a week and a very good teacher. We do chair exercises or line dancing with our walkers. However, I wish we had a spa or a bathtub, and that's just something extra that I would really like, but for the money, we couldn't afford it here.

Thank you, Ruth, for your kind words. We appreciate you and are thankful that you choose to make Sycamore Glen your home.

January 26, 2021

By J. Arnold

During this pandemic crisis, Sycamore staff has worked tirelessly to keep the residents safe. Can't thank them enough.

Heroes truly do work here!

October 09, 2020

By Nick

My mother has moved into Sycamore Glen. I haven't really spent very much time there, and it hasn't been very long that she's been there. It seems to be an active place for older people. With the pandemic, we weren't allowed to go in for a while, but everybody I've dealt with seemed very good. She's told me that she's playing some games, and they have movies. I know that she's been to at least one movie. She's very complimentary of the food. From what I've seen so far, from the little bit that I know, and have seen, everything is very good. She is at the last apartment on a long hall, but you can go outside and go into the main entry. You don't have to go all the way down the hall and down the other hall, and that's a nice feature for her.

April 13, 2020

By Michael

Sycamore Glen Active Senior Community was a big place and was okay, though it wasn't anything spectacular. The dining area was a little bit bigger. And they have you set up on the same table every night so they can keep an eye on you. They did group trips to casinos and to different places, they did a lot of those kinds of things. They didn't have a pool, they're just a basic community, though they have places for people to sit.

March 16, 2020

By Ralph

I have visited friends in Sycamore Glen. It's more affordable than my mom's current community and they have a few more activities. Their median age is also lower. They always have something going on, and a lot of the activities are actually run by the residents. That's a good sign of high morale with the residents. They just do what they want to do, and if something is great they just go for it. It's a different mentality and everybody likes everybody else. They have game rooms, hobby rooms, laundry rooms, a pool table, a music room, meeting room, and a cafeteria. The place itself is in pretty good shape, although it's older than my mom's current place. The staff loves their residents and it's really obvious. The food is good, I have eaten there, and they have an excellent chef.

July 22, 2019

By Daughter-in-law

Wonderful community! Only regret is not finding it sooner! Father in-law was home all day alone while we worked. We were selfish to think WE were enough for his life. He need friends his age and activities to look forward to each day! Now he has both plus more fun than anybody his age should have! And the food is delicious 😋

May 20, 2019

By Dan

Sycamore Glen is the one we like the most. They had studio apartments and 1-bedroom apartments. It wasn't quite as modern in its layout. It was quite adequate other than the rooms being a bit smaller. When we were there, residents were finishing a Sunday lunch and were starting card games. There was craft session going on. Everybody was doing something and seemed positive about it. The little interaction that I had with the staff was also quite positive. They had a few common rooms, a common kitchen where you could do a larger baking projects, a couple of card rooms, arts and crafts room, and a small exercise facility.

May 16, 2019

By David

Sycamore Glen was very nice. The people were prepared for us and were waiting for us when we showed up. The staff was very nice and organized and the facility was clean. It was a good experience. The place is quiet, relaxed and comfortable. They have a good transportation program. They have a lot of musical activities, piano, and events going on. They have access to facilities if you want to cook outside of your unit. They fed us lunch and it was very good.

August 30, 2018

By Kay

Sycamore Glen's grounds are nice and the people are nice. The food is excellent. There's a soup, salad, and dessert bar anytime between 11:00 and 5:00, which is great. The apartment I looked at was very nice and acceptable to me. I wasn't too happy about the $2,500 non-refundable deposit, which was outrageous and over the top, so I told the supervisor to call me if they have an offer of a free move-in. The residents were all friendly and the staff was nice.

March 01, 2018

By denise712

I cannot say enough positive things about Sycamore Glen and the amazing staff. They have been incredibly supportive and patient as my father worked through his decision to relocate from San Diego to Chico to be closer to family. It took almost 2 years and over the entire time Barbara and Stephanie were nothing but kind, compassionate, patient and supportive! Since moving in a couple of weeks ago my father has transitioned incredibly well. He spends time in the lobby talking with other residents, is playing Bridge almost every day and is thoroughly enjoying conversations with his meal time table mates. All in all WONDERFUL!

January 05, 2018

By Sunni

I visited Sycamore Glen. I didn't go to an apartment, but I went inside the hallways and it's a little bit more hospital like. Their menu was better and had a lot of selection. The dining area was a little nicer than the other places. It's a little bit more formal and a little prettier. They had a lot more activities. They also have yoga. The facility was beautiful.

July 17, 2017

By Evelyn

I feel like I am on a cruise as the entire staff treats us (residents) like we are the most important people in the world! Food is great. Activities are plentiful and varied. I couldn't ask for more.

March 28, 2017

By Satisfied daughter 2

Moved Mother from a Chico retirement center. Comparing Sycamore Glen to the other location is like night and day. Sycamore Glen offers great food selections, extremely professional staff, and activities that stimulates participation within the community. The facilities are kept clean and support to resolve any problems are promptly addressed. (We have had to install an answering machine to leave a message for our Mother to call us when she had time to do so.)

March 06, 2017

By Joyce608286

Sycamore Glen was very nice but not as big as the other one. It has a nice restaurant but less menu choices. The other one has a swimming pool, and this one doesn’t, but it was a very nice place. They were very nice, and when I called with questions, they answered them right away. There were people playing cards and different things.

Thank you for your kind words. Were you aware of our "Any Time Dining", with a full restaurant style menu which offers over 50 entree options? We believe we are the only senior community in Chico with such offerings. We do not have a swimming pool. We let the beautiful, local health club, In Motion, handle the maintenance and insurance of keeping a swimming pool and we offer new residents a one year membership for their senior program should they be interested in aqua classes.

February 01, 2017

By bkkupp

My older brother is living at Sycamore Glen and enjoys it very much. His studio apartment is in excellent condition, the staff are very cordial and attentive to his needs, and he enjoys the relationship with other seniors.

February 01, 2017

By SusanSerembe

Very caring and helpful staff. Comfortable and safe place to live.

February 05, 2014

Sycamore Glen was a beautiful facility. The food was very good. I had a meal there and it was very nice. I'm a reader and I asked if they had a library; however, what they had there were a couple of racks that turned and had books on them. That's not quite what I was looking for. The people were very nice, but they're a little limited. Overall, it isn't what I personally would want, but it is a very nice facility.

Questions about Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Sycamore Glen has 120 apartments. The average age of our current residents is 87 years young. We like to think that we help to add years to our residents' lives by adding life to their years. Our residents enjoy card games (including bridge), Bingo, group exercise classes, Wii bowling, Poker, Bible Study, Choir group, Dominoes, Live musical performers, outings to local theaters, Casino trips, Happy Hours, Group trips to local restaurants, and movies (including old favorites and new releases).

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Chico, California is well known as a "City of Trees". Bidwell Park, at over 3,600 acres, is the 3rd largest municipal park in California. Chico is also home to the Wildcats of CSUChico, which offers various sporting events, and theater events. The Chico Heat baseball team returned in 2016 and found great success as Champions of the Great West League. The Chico Theater Company is nearby, and our residents enjoy trips for their many performances.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community has organized?

A group of residents recently took a day trip to Roseville, to enjoy lunch out at The Cheesecake Factory. Once a month, a trip to a local casino is scheduled. A group of residents enjoyed "A Game's Afoot" at Paradise's Theater on the Ridge.

What transportation services does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community offer to independent living residents?

Our Sycamore Glen bus travels around town 4 days each week. We have divided the City of Chico in half, north and south, and our residents schedule doctor's visits and shopping trips according to the posted schedule. Many of our residents also use the B-Line para-transit as a supplement to our bus service. It offers a convenient and affordable option.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Sycamore Glen offers "Any time dining". Our dining room is open all day long for our residents' convenience. We offer a full, restaurant style menu with over 50 options. Our residents enjoy a full salad bar and homemade soup de jour. Our Chef is able to purchase through local channels, this enables the kitchen staff to prepare the freshest meals possible. Never is any additional salt added during food preparation. Our Chef is willing to review our menu with any residents with dietary restrictions, in effort for them to make the best food choices.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Sycamore Glen has beautiful common areas for residents and their guests to enjoy. We call one room "The Key Room". Residents may use this room for entertaining,, with meals served if they wish. Our Fireside Room plays host to various musical performer and many group games including Bingo. We show movies several times a week in our theater, and group exercise classes, and community meetings are held there as well. Sycamore Glen has 4 beautifully landscaped courtyards with walking paths and water features. The Activity Courtyard has a regulation Bocce Ball court, horseshoe pit and a golf putting green. Our fitness room offers a myriad of fitness machines, and is open all day for convenience.

What safety features or security measures does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community offer to independent living residents?

There are 2 emergency pull cords in each apartment. Sycamore Glen has 24 hour staffed security, 7 days a week, to tend to our resident's needs.

If Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We know that pets enrich the lives of our residents, so we are happy to be a "Pet friendly" community. We ask that dog owners be respectful of those neighbors who may not be dog lovers, and keep their dogs on leash at all times in the common areas. Dog owners are required to pick up after their pets, or hire help if needed.

Does Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Many of our residents are in need of home care services. There are many home care companies available, and our residents are welcome to contract with whoever they prefer. We do ask that any home care workers are licensed via the State of California guidelines.

Costs for Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Tai Chi

About Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community

Sycamore Glen - Retirement Living The Way It Should Be

We are located amid the tree filled beauty and serenity of Chico, California. Sycamore Glen blends sophisticated services with resort style ambiance as Butte County's premiere Active Senior Community. Our warm, friendly, and professionally trained staff have established a fine reputation for providing the highest quality of services and hospitality

Every Apartment Includes:
  • Private Patio
  • Individually controlled thermostat
  • Kitchenette
  • Walk-in closet
  • Step in shower with seat
  • All utilities paid
  • Satellite television
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Emergency Response System
Dine in our Elegant Fountain Café:
  • All day restaurant style dining
  • Over 40 chef prepared meal options
  • Garden fresh salad bar 7 days a week
  • Homemade soups prepared daily
  • Delicious dessert options
Enjoy our Tranquil 3 Acre Property:
  • Four beautiful courtyards
  • New Golf Putting Green
  • Serene sitting areas and gazebos
  • Fish pond
  • Bocce Ball Court
  • Computer and free Wifi
  • Horseshoe Pit
  • Lush fountains
  • Raised flower and vegetable gardens
Our Beautiful Indoor Common Areas Feature:
  • Fireside Lounge and Library
  • Custom murals and fish aquarium
  • Craft Room and Card areas
  • Game and billiards room
  • Theater and exercise room
  • Resident General Store
  • Complimentary Laundry Facilities
  • Beauty Salon and Barber Shop
  • The List Goes On!

That’s why we are a cut above even the best retirement communities in Chico CA

We are committed to offering you a gracious lifestyle, security and peace of mind in a very caring and loving environment.

Map of Sycamore Glen - Active Senior Community