4 Assisted Living Facilities near Portage, WI
Also serving communities of Pardeeville, Rio, Montello.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Portage area, with 3 in Portage and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Portage is $3,572 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Columbus with an average starting cost of $2,600.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portage. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portage 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waunakee with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portage, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Portage, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portage
Portage, a city in central Wisconsin, has been nationally recognized for its historic Industrial Waterfront District. The city is home to just over 10,000 people, and approximately 14 percent of them are seniors. The Portage area is served by eight assisted living facilities, and three are located within city limits.
Portage’s assisted living facilities are regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. These facilities, which are designated as community-based residential facilities (CBRFs), provide care to five or more seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portage
- Portage experiences cold, snowy winters. The city receives an average of 38 inches of snow every year, and winter lows are in the single digits. However, summers are comfortable with highs in the 80s.
- The community offers limited public transit options. Seniors who aren’t able to drive can schedule rides with a free van service. There is also an Amtrak station in Portage, and trains travel to Chicago and other cities every day. Discounted rail fares are available for seniors.
- Seniors in Portage have access to many arts and culture opportunities, including historic sites and museums. Assisted living facilities may schedule outings to local attractions, such as Museum at the Portage or the World War II History Museum.
- The Portage area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Divine Savior Healthcare, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Portage has a higher crime rate than the state and national averages. Residents of Portage have a one in 46 chance of becoming the victim of a property or violent crime. Seniors who are considering retiring in Portage may take the area’s high crime rate into consideration.
- The overall cost of living is 7.2 percent lower in Portage than the national norm. While housing is the biggest factor in Portage’s affordability, other items, including groceries, are also less expensive than average. Seniors who are living on a fixed income may choose to retiree in Portage.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portage
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Portage start around $3,572 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portage and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portage
Seniors in Portage may receive funding through the state’s Elderly and Physically Disabled program. This Medicaid waiver program helps eligible seniors pay for assisted living costs. The state may provide Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients with additional monthly funding in the form of exceptional expense payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portage
Portage and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portage, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portage
Portage-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portage
Review of Heritage House of Portage
My mother has lived here for 10 years! I could not have asked for a better facility to put my loved one! The staff and administration have been wonderful! My mother has so many friends there and k... Read more
Review of Hamilton Park Place
I chose Hamilton Park Place for my dad, and I think everything is great. His apartment is very nice, and he is very happy there. The staff members are all great, and they keep him busy. My dad said... Read more
Review of Heritage House of Portage
The building is in disrepair. Has had sewage leaking in building. (Now repaired) Administrators are hostile and angry and have apparently falsified state required records. Read more