21 Assisted Living Facilities near Sun Prairie, WI
Also serving communities of Marshall.
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sun Prairie area, with 7 in Sun Prairie and 14 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sun Prairie is $3,704 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 53 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sun Prairie. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sun Prairie 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waterloo with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sun Prairie, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sun Prairie, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sun Prairie
Sun Prairie is a vibrant city 12 miles northeast of Madison and 66 miles west of Milwaukee with a growing population, of whom 11 percent are seniors 65 and over. This senior population is served by six assisted living facilities (ALFs) within city limits, all licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services and defined as Community Based Residential Facilities (CBRFs) that provide room and board to five or more residents requiring care below the intermediate nursing level.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sun Prairie
- Sun Prairie is a slightly cheaper alternative to living in Madison with an average cost of living nine percent higher than the U.S. median. Health care costs are a bit higher here, gaining a score of 122 compared to the U.S. average of 100. Grocery and transportation costs fare better and are just about even with national averages.
- Seniors in Sun Prairie won’t have their social security benefits taxed as Wisconsin is considered a retirement tax friendly state. Pensions are also not taxed, which leaves seniors more money in their budget to put towards assisted living.
- Winters in Sun Prairie can be quite cold with temperatures in January dropping at times to ten degrees Fahrenheit. The city gets approximately 44 inches of snow per year, above the U.S. average of 26. Summers are more mild with average temperatures reaching around 82 degrees in July.
- Both violent and property crimes are lower than U.S. averages in Sun Prairie, coming in at 28 and 35.6 out of 100 respectively. The national medians are 31.1 and 38.1. The city is safer than 37 percent of U.S. cities in general.
- Seniors who do not drive may find it difficult to get around town as there are no public buses. However, Sun Prairie Taxi does offer a shared-ride taxi with a reduced fare program for income eligible seniors.
- Seniors will have plenty to do in Sun Prairie with several local parks and golf clubs, the Historical Library & Museum and Angell Park Speedway. The Colonial Club, Sun Prairie’s senior activity center, also affords seniors opportunities for day trips to festivals, shopping, boat rides and concerts.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sun Prairie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Sun Prairie start around $3,704 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sun Prairie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sun Prairie
Seniors in Sun Prairie may apply for financial assistance for assisted living through the Wisconsin Department of Health Services’ Family Care program which helps to cover costs for seniors who live in a small facility with 20 beds or fewer. Seniors in a larger facility can apply for PACE to help offset costs associated with assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sun Prairie
Sun Prairie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sun Prairie, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sun Prairie
Sun Prairie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Sun Prairie, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sun Prairie
Review of Hyland Campus
Hyland Campus was very big and it has three levels. My mom has mobility issues, so walking from one side of the campus facility to the other is a lot, especially at dinnertime. You could be pretty ... Read more
Review of Faith Living Center
We went to Faith Living Center and they didn't know we were coming. They were super disorganized and the staff apologized a thousand times for being so scattered. It was a depressing place, but it'... Read more
Review of New Perspective | Sun Prairie
New Perspective is glorious and aesthetically beautiful. I could live there. We observed very professional care and very high standard of cleanliness. It's very quiet, everything was impeccable, an... Read more