6 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbus, WI
Also serving communities of Fall River.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Columbus area, with 2 in Columbus and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Columbus is $2,600 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbus. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbus 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waterloo with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbus, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus
Named for Christopher Columbus, Columbus, Wisconsin, is a city of about 5,000 people situated roughly 28 miles northeast of Madison. Founded by Maj. Elbert Dickason and Lewis Ludington in the late 1830s, the area is now home to about 1,240 individuals 55+.
There are two assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Columbus and an additional 13 communities in nearby areas such as Rio and Beaver Dam. These facilities, overseen by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Bureau of Assisted Living, Division of Quality Assurance, offer services such as personal care, behavior management, nursing care, leisure activities and transportation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus
- Cost of living in Columbus, Wisconsin, is just slightly lower (4 percent) than the national average. Housing and groceries are cheaper, giving seniors a financial break, but other areas like transportation are more expensive than usual, and health costs, which can add up quickly for the elderly who have limited or no insurance, are 22 percent higher.
- While Columbus, Wisconsin isn’t crime-free, seniors won’t have to worry extra about their safety. The violent and property crime rates beat the national averages just slightly by 1.9 and 2 percent, respectively.
- Like other areas of the Midwest, Columbus has a lower Sperling’s Comfort Index (40 out of 100 versus the national average of 54). Temperatures get down to 11 degrees Fahrenheit, and snowfall is significant at 40 inches. Seniors tend to be more susceptible to the cold due to biological changes and medication, so they should be aware that the tougher winters could aggravate conditions such as arthritis, lung infections and even chronic conditions such as heart disease.
- Seniors who have or are at risk for respiratory conditions might enjoy a higher quality of life in Columbus, Wisconsin, as the city has better-than-average air quality. Whereas the national average is 58 (100 is best), Columbus sits at 77.
- Columbus is home to world-class medical facilities, including Columbus Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Columbus start around $2,600 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus
Seniors who need financial help for their ALF services might qualify for the SSI Exceptional Expense Supplement (SSI-E), which provides very limited funding.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus
Columbus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbus, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus
Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Columbus, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbus
Review of Larson House
I'm living in Larson House and it's very good. The staff and food are very good. We have a living area, kitchen area, bedroom area, bathroom, and plenty of closet space. Read more
Review of Larson House
I toured the facility to find a placement for my mother with dementia. The facility was clean, staff greeted me at the door and immediately answered all of my questions. I was so impressed with t... Read more
Review of Home Again Columbus
My friend moved into Home Again Columbus. They haven't filled up yet, but they don't take Medicare. So if you need more care, the price per month goes up. However, they already have hospice called ... Read more