36 Assisted Living Facilities near Sumner, WA
Also serving communities of Bonney Lake.
There are 36 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sumner area, with 2 in Sumner and 34 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sumner is $2,674 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Auburn with an average starting cost of $2,522.
To help you with your search, browse the 163 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sumner. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sumner 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Milton with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sumner, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sumner, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sumner
Sumner is a partly farmed/partly wooded bright spot on the road north into Seattle, not far from Puyallup on I-5. Nearly 14% of Sumner's 10,000 people are seniors aged 65 and over, with just three assisted living facilities inside the city limits to serve them. Like all residential care facilties in the state, Sumner's assisted living facilities are inspected, licensed and regulated by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Aging and Long-Term Support Administration.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sumner
- The weather in Sumner is cool and mild in summer, but conditions can get cold and wet in winter. The area north of Puyallup sees summer high temperatures of 78 degrees, and winter lows that average 33. The pine forest that surrounds Sumner gets over 40 inches of rain a year, which can raise pollen and become an issue in spring for seniors with asthma.
- The cost of living in Sumner is high by national standards, but not exceptional for Washington State. Seniors pay an average of 31% more for common expenses in Sumner. One exception to this is healthcare, which is 20% less expensive in Sumner than the average cost nationwide.
- Crime rates in Sumner are somewhat high. Seniors in Sumner live with a combined property and violent crime rate that's over 33% higher than the national average for a town of this size, though the numbers are weighted somewhat more toward theft and vandalism than the more serious offenses.
- Sound Transit operates much of the public transportation in Sumner. Seniors can pay their discount fares with the same ORCA card that works on Everett Transit, King County Metro, Kitsap Transit, Pierce Transit, Seattle Streetcar, the King County Water Taxi, and Washington State Ferries. Sound Transit vehicles are all ADA-compliant for riders with limited mobility.
- The Sumner area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Puyallup is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sumner
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Sumner start around $2,674 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sumner and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sumner
Seniors in Sumner who need help paying for the cost of senior care may be eligible for the Community Options Program Entry System Waiver (COPES), which helps cover some or all of the monthly cost of assisted living in Sumner.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sumner
Sumner and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sumner, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sumner
Sumner-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sumner
Review of Franklin Place
Franklin Place was very nice. The staff was very nice and friendly. The rooms were big and clean. The residents looked happy. Read more
Review of Stafford Suites in Sumner
Stafford Suites was very nice-looking. I was really pleased with it and liked what they offered, like the variety of rooms from studios to two-bedrooms. Overall, I was very impressed with it and th... Read more
Review of Franklin Place
Franklin Place is one of communities that I went to. I think it was all one floor, which is a little different, and were the only ones that had respite care. The community seemed to be comparable t... Read more