10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bellingham, WA
Also serving communities of Ferndale.
The average cost of assisted living in Bellingham is $3,505 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bellingham. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bellingham 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sedro Woolley with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bellingham, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bellingham, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bellingham
A few miles south of the Canadian border sits the city of Bellingham. This coastal city of over 85,000 people has been named one of Livability's Top 100 Best Places to Live in 2018. Seniors over the age of 65 comprise 7.1 percent of Bellingham's population, and there are 13 assisted living facilities in the area to accommodate them. An assisted living facility is defined as a home or community that provides housing, basic services and, perhaps, domiciliary services. Assisted living facilities in Bellingham and the rest of Washington are regulated by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bellingham
- Bellingham doesn't escape the rainy weather associated with the U.S. Northwest, but it makes up for it with relatively mild temperatures. Summers average a high of 72 degrees, and winters drop to an average of 34 degrees with only 7 inches of snow, making the seasons more comfortable for seniors with respiratory and mobility issues.
- The cost of living in Bellingham can be prohibitive for those seniors looking to cut monthly expenses. Bellingham has a cost of living that's almost 30 percent greater than the average for the rest of the country. Areas with the highest prices are health care, groceries and transportation.
- Local taxes may be prohibitive for seniors interested in frugal living in Bellingham. The sales tax rate is 8.7 percent compared to the U. S. average rate of 6.0 percent. There is a break in income taxes with a zero income tax rate versus the U.S. average of 4.6 percent.
- Seniors can take advantage of special public transportation services available through the Whatcom Transit Authority (WTA). Seniors aged 75 and older ride free on both fixed route and paratransit vehicles with a WTA Gold Card.
- Bellingham has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Activity Center, an organization that offers wellness classes such as Zumba, tai chi, Pilates and yoga and artistic pursuits such as writing, painting, woodcarving and acting.
- The Bellingham area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Peace Health St. Joseph Medical Center, in the event of emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bellingham
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Bellingham start around $3,505 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bellingham and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bellingham
Bellingham has some of the least expensive assisted living costs in the state. However, financial assistance ough Medicaid, which is administered in Washington under the Apple Health program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bellingham
Bellingham and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bellingham, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bellingham
Bellingham-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Bellingham, WA
Other Options in Bellingham, WA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bellingham
Review of Rosewood Villa Senior Living
My mother has been at Rosewood for over 2 1/2 years. The staff are incredible and caring. Rosewood provides exercising, mentally stimulating games, and group activities. With staff encouragemen... Read more
Review of Orchard Park
Orchard Park is a good place. My sister's room is really clean. It looked like they had good food. They have all kinds of activities like music, exercises, and singing. They have all kinds of rooms... Read more
Review of Brookdale Fairhaven
Assisted Living is a challenging choice, and my Mom has lived in two other facilities before living at Brookdale Fairhaven. I am so grateful for the excellent, caring and dedicated staff, the clari... Read more