17 Assisted Living Facilities near Friendswood, TX
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Friendswood area, with 1 in Friendswood and 16 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Friendswood is $3,235 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Alvin with an average starting cost of $2,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 162 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Friendswood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Friendswood 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include League City with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Friendswood find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Friendswood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Friendswood, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Friendswood
Friendswood, TX, got its name from the close partnership of its founders, Frank Jacob Brown and Thomas Hadley Lewis, two Quakers from back east who, in 1895, founded what's now a suburb of Houston. Today, the city has expanded quite a lot, and it's now home to 23 assisted living communities. These properties are regulated as Type A residential care homes by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which inspects and monitors conditions in long-term care facilities across the state.
Residents in Friendswood's assisted living communities pay a monthly fee, in exchange for room and board, emergency response if needed and help managing the activities of daily living (ADLs) that have grown too difficult for them to easily manage. Typical ADLs include bathing, dressing and cleaning residents' private or semi-private rooms, which are standard accommodations in Type A facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Friendswood
- Friendswood is part of southeast Houston, and it shares much of its weather. Lows of 44 degrees Fahrenheit and highs of 93 degrees are generally comfortable, but the extremes can take a toll on seniors with COPD or asthma.
- Private housing is expensive in Friendswood, but almost everything else seniors in assisted living pay for is significantly cheaper here than the average for the rest of the country. Seniors who shop for groceries, for example, pay just 85 percent of the national median, while utility bills average 8 percent cheaper than the national rate.
- Texas doesn't charge income tax on earnings or retirement income. There is a sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent, however, and seniors who drive must pay the 20 cent gas tax at the pump.
- Friendswood lives up to its name in the local crime rates. Across all categories of illegal activity, this community, which is just 15 minutes from downtown Houston, runs to less than one-fifth the national averages. Violent crime is even more rare here, making it one of the safest spots for seniors in the Houston metro area. There was one homicide here in 2015, the first since 2008, which was itself the first since 2002.
- The Houston METRO handles much of the public transportation in Friendswood, as it does for most of the nearby suburbs. This service operates fixed-schedule bus and rail routes that connect throughout the region, and both seniors and riders with disabilities get discount fares with valid ID.
- The Friendswood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Friendswood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Friendswood start around $3,235 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Friendswood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Friendswood
Texas' Medicaid waiver program, STAR+PLUS, offers help with the cost of assisted living for low-income seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Friendswood
Friendswood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Friendswood, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Friendswood
Friendswood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Friendswood, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Friendswood
Review of Atria Friendswood
Atria Friendswood had nice apartments. It's a very nice place and in a convenient location. We ate there, and they've got good food. The dining area was very nice. Read more
Review of Atria Friendswood
My mom moved into Atria Friendswood 2 months ago, and it's been pretty good. All the residents seem very happy, my mom presses her button for assistance, and they're there for like 5 minutes. She h... Read more
Review of Atria Friendswood
Atria Friendswood seemed very nice. I had a meal there and toured the facility. If my husband had to go in a facility, that would be where I would probably put him. We looked at one room. The bathr... Read more