9 Assisted Living Facilities near Brandon, SD
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brandon area, with 2 in Brandon and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 19 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brandon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brandon 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Luverne with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brandon, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Brandon, SD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brandon
As the largest suburb of Sioux Falls, the city of Brandon, South Dakota, has various services and amenities to offer seniors who make up about 10 percent of its population. Brandon is home to two assisted living facilities with a further 23 within relatively close proximity. The South Dakota Department of Health licenses these facilities, which offer seniors a welcoming place to reside complemented by assistance with activities of daily living like bathing and dressing. Some facilities in the area are also equipped to offer specialized care to seniors with conditions like dementia.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brandon
- The cost of living index in Brandon is 96, less than the national average of 100, so seniors may find more funds in their budget to pay for assisted living care.
- South Dakota is one of several states that does not tax social security benefits. This allows seniors to save more money.
- The Brandon area has an array of resources for seniors, including Active Generations, which features fitness and wellness programs, daily lunch, golf club, woodworking club, a computer center, yoga, line dancing, a quilting club, knitting group and arts and crafts.
- Brandon is home to outstanding medical facilities, including Sanford Clinic Family Medicine, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- In terms of public transportation, the city of Brandon is served by Brandon City Transit buses. Seniors aged 60 and over can ride the bus for free.
- Some seniors may find it difficult to get around the city during winter months. The area’s average January low is 3 degrees Fahrenheit, and winter winds are blustery. The average July high is 86 degrees Fahrenheit; while warm, the summer weather in South Dakota lacks the high humidity that's present in more southerly states.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brandon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Brandon start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brandon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brandon
The state of South Dakota has limited funds for helping seniors pay for assisted living care. However, the South Dakota Medicaid Home and Community-Based Options and Person Centered Excellence (HOPE) Waiver provides financial help for seniors who choose to receive care at an assisted living facility. At times, there is a waiting list for eligible seniors to receive these funds.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brandon
Brandon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brandon, please visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brandon
Brandon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brandon
Review of Helping Hand Assisted Living
I was put in Helping Hand Assisted Living by the Veterans Administration. I can't move from here for at least a year and a half. However, the staff is fine. They're very good. The food is good too. Read more