4 Assisted Living Facilities near Brookings, SD
Also serving communities of Volga, Estelline.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brookings area, with 3 in Brookings and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brookings. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brookings 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brookings, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Brookings, SD
Assisted Living in Brookings, SD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brookings
Home of South Dakota State University, Brookings is the fourth-largest city in South Dakota, known for its safe communities, state-of-the-art healthcare and lively entertainment scene. Rated the number one city in the state for retirement, the area has a growing senior population, with nearly 10% of its 24,500 residents aged 65 and older.
Aging adults in need of daily assistance might benefit from the care services offered at an assisted living center. There are five facilities available in Brookings and its surrounding communities, all of which are licensed by the South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure and Certification.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brookings
- Like many South Dakota cities, Brookings has a low overall cost of living at 82.1, making it an affordable option for seniors.
- The city's low crime rates mean seniors can feel safe going about their day-to-day activities. Brookings receives a score of 8 for violent crime and 21.4 for property crime, both much lower than the U.S. national averages of 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories, respectively.
- Brookings is a great city for active retirees. The city is home to a variety of cultural destinations, exciting attractions and recreational opportunities, including nationally-renowned museums, shopping, golf courses and annual festivals.
- Despite its pleasant summers, Brookings' harsh winter conditions could make it hard for seniors to get around. The city receives 35 inches of snow each year, with a seasonal low of around 4 degrees.
- There is no income tax in South Dakota. This means that Brookings seniors are not taxed on their Social Security, pensions or any other retirement income, leaving more money that can be put toward the cost of assisted living services.
- Brookings has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Brookings Activity Center, an organization that offers activities and programs for older adults, such as computer classes, exercise, dancing and art workshops, and hosts the area's 60's Plus Dining Program's daily congregate meal service.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brookings
Assisted Living Costs in Brookings
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brookings
To ease the financial burden of assisted living, South Dakota's Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) HOPE Waiver program helps seniors in Brookings cover the cost of care services in assisted living centers. The program is available to seniors aged 65 and older. An optional state supplement (OSS) is also available to seniors in assisted living centers to help cover room and board costs up to the amount of $765 per month.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brookings
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brookings
Assisted Living Communities in Brookings
Caring Star Winners in Brookings Area
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Brookings Area
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brookings
Review of Edgewood Brookings LLC
Edgewood Brookings LLC is wonderful. The staff is lovely, caring, and I couldn't have picked a better place for my mom. She's happy there and doing good. They're in pretty high demand, so there was... Read more
Review of Park Place Assisted Living
Park Place Assisted Living in Brookings, SD is a wonderful facility! The new manager and the staff work well together and they are certain I have everything I need. There are many activities offere... Read more
Review of Park Place Assisted Living
The staff at Park Place is excellent. They have quite a few activities over in the nursing home that we are invited to participate in, and a day care, too. I like the apartments and the price. Ihav... Read more