4 Assisted Living Facilities in Greenwood, SC
Also serving communities of Calhoun Falls.
The average cost of assisted living in Greenwood is $2,830 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 20 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Greenwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Greenwood 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Due West with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Greenwood, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Greenwood
The seat of Greenwood County, the city of Greenwood, SC, is well-known for its scenic and cultural attractions that seniors may enjoy. The city is currently home to 12 assisted living facilities and a further 19 that are situated nearby. These facilities are regulated and licensed by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. Referred to as community residential care facilities, these assisted living care facilities are equipped to provide seniors with assistance for tasks like dressing and bathing and other activities associated with daily living. Some may provide more specialized care for seniors with certain medical conditions such as dementia.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Greenwood
- In many cities, living costs are increasing, but in Greenwood, the cost of living index is 85, well below the national average of 100. With reduced costs, seniors may have more funds to pay for assisted living care.
- Greenwood has an array of resources for seniors, including the Ninety Six Senior Center, which offers daily nutritious meals, cards and board games, lectures and seminars, social events and day trips to area attractions.
- The city of Greenwood is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Self Regional Healthcare, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- There are multiple cultural attractions in Greenwood that seniors may enjoy that include the Greenwood Community Theatre, the Greenwood Performing Arts Center, the Military Museum and the Museum on Main Street.
- Seniors living in Greenwood may find the winters quite comfortable as the average high in January is 52 degrees Fahrenheit. On the other hand, the hot and humid summers may prove more challenging for some seniors with respiratory conditions since the average July high is 91 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Community safety is naturally a concern for seniors. Greenwood has an average crime rate of 5,319 per 100,000 people. This is substantially above the national average of 2,837 crimes per 100,000 people.
Paying for Assisted Living in Greenwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Greenwood start around $2,830 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Greenwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Greenwood
Many states are limited to what financial help they offer seniors. South Carolina currently has waivers to help qualifying seniors pay for care at a nursing home or to provide care for seniors who require support in their homes. At this time, the waivers do not cover care at an assisted living facility. Seniors receiving SSI benefits may qualify for the state to pay a supplement for assisted living care, but there is often a waiting list to obtain these funds.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Greenwood
Greenwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Greenwood, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Greenwood
Greenwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Greenwood, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Greenwood
Review of Ashley Place
The food is awful and meals are inadequate. Grossly short on staff. No medical staff available 24 hours. Over priced. Most occupants are dementia patients. Not a healthy environment for non dement... Read more
Review of Ashley Place
Food is horrible. Don't know how residents have survived on meals that were served. Understaffed Poor Management Poor Cleaning service Read more
Review of Emerald Gardens of Greenwood
Emerald Gardens of Greenwood is beautiful. They have a lot of activities. They have bingo, and they have a band come playing. They have a nice cafeteria. They have the right kind of food that my mo... Read more