43 Assisted Living Facilities near Aiken, SC
There are 43 Assisted Living Facilities in the Aiken area, with 8 in Aiken and 35 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Aiken is $3,295 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Augusta with an average starting cost of $2,613.
To help you with your search, browse the 147 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Aiken. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Aiken 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Aiken, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Aiken, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Aiken
Aiken is the largest city in Aiken County, which is in the western portion of South Carolina near the Georgia border. Nearly one resident in four is over the age of 65, which is a particularly high senior population. This fact helps account for the eight assisted living facilities in Aiken, with another 31 in surrounding areas like Augusta, Georgia. These facilities also provide seniors with assistance in daily living activities, including grooming and eating. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control regulates these facilities, which are also known as community residential care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Aiken
- Aiken has a relatively comfortable climate overall compared to the rest of the U.S. The biggest disadvantage for seniors who enjoy outdoor activities is the high humidity during the summer. Winters tend to be cool and dry in Aiken, with almost no snow.
- The cost of living is low in Aiken, about 15 percent less than the national average. The biggest reason for this benefit is housing, which is 36 percent less than the national average. Seniors will also benefit from the fact that healthcare in Aiken is 14 percent below the national average.
- Aiken’s crime rate is particularly high, at 6,578 reported crimes per hundred thousand people per year. By comparison, the annual reported crime rate for South Carolina is 3,746 per hundred thousand people. Seniors should be particularly careful about crime prevention in Aiken, especially for property crimes.
- Best Friend Express is the local bus service in Aiken, which also serves North Augusta and New Ellington. This service charges a fare for each zone, with senior citizens paying half the standard fare. Best Friend Express provides service Monday through Saturday, although the hours are shorter on Saturday.
- The Smith-Hazel Recreation Center is operated by the city of Aiken. It hosts a range of activities for seniors, including card and board games, as well as fitness classes, line dancing and basketball.
- The Aiken area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Aiken Regional Medical Centers, University Hospital and Surgery Center of Aiken, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Aiken
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Aiken start around $3,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Aiken and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Aiken
The Community Choices Waiver program provides financial assistance with assisted living in South Carolina. This Medicaid program also provides seniors with assistance with daily living, provided they would otherwise require a nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Aiken
Aiken and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Aiken, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Aiken
Aiken-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Aiken, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Aiken
Review of HarborChase of Aiken
My father-in-law stayed at HarborChase of Aiken for a week for respite care. It wasn't fantastic. They weren't able to get him to socialize. My sister-in-law called to check on him, and they told h... Read more
Review of Hitchcock Place
Hitchcock Place is nice and clean. The grounds are very nice. They have an enclosed courtyard where residents can go out but not get out. Although my aunt doesn't need that, it's good for people wh... Read more
Review of HarborChase of Aiken
HarborChase of Aiken is a beautiful place and they have everything you need. The people were as friendly as they could be. I'd recommend it to just about anybody. The rooms were beautiful and nice-... Read more