12 Assisted Living Facilities near Irwin, PA
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Irwin area, with 1 in Irwin and 11 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 56 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Irwin. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Irwin 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Monroeville with an average rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Irwin, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Irwin, PA
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Irwin, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Irwin
The Irwin burough is located in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and is just 22 miles away from Pittsburgh, making it accessible to seniors who want increased entertainment options. The area's residents lean toward maturity with an average age of 41 years and almost 18 percent of the population made up of seniors.
Assisted living facilities in Irwin receive their licenses from the Pennsylvania Department of Aging, Office of Long Term Living, Division of Licensing, and they are referred to as assisted living residences (ALRs). Pennsylvania ALRs must show they support aging in place and offer residents private living areas with kitchen facilities. There is one ALR located in Irwin and 64 other options available in the surrounding areas.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Irwin
- Seniors in need of transportation will find services available by Westmoreland Transit. Those over the age of 65 qualify for a Senior Transit ID card, which allows them to ride for free. Seniors with an email address can also take advantage of the online scheduling option.
- Irwin's climate is more suitable for seniors who don't mind cold and precipitation. July high temperatures average around 81 degrees Fahrenheit, and January lows dip down to 17 degrees. The area sees an average of 43 inches of rain and 47 inches of snow.
- Seniors on a budget will appreciate Irwin's low cost of living. The overall average is 15 percent lower than the national average, with housing sitting at 37 percent lower. Health care and transportation are also low, but seniors will pay 4.5 percent more for groceries.
- Irwin is considered safer than 48 percent of US cities, giving it an average overall crime rate. Seniors have an average chance of becoming a victim of property crimes but have a 1 in 478 chance of experiencing a violent crime.
- The Irwin area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in McKeesport.
- Seniors with sensitivities to air quality issues should note that the American Lung Association gave a D grade to all of Westmoreland County for the average number of high ozone days, which could exacerbate certain medical conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Irwin
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Irwin start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Irwin and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Irwin
Pennsylvania Medicaid offers financial assistance to seniors who qualify to help reduce the out-of-pocket costs of assisted living care. The Department of Aging (PDA) waiver covers several relevant services but is being replaced by the Community Health Choices (CHC) program which was designed to be more comprehensive.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Irwin
Irwin and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Irwin, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Irwin
Irwin-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Irwin, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Irwin
Review of Golden Heights Personal Care Home
Irwin personal care home golden heights awful place the administrator is terrible food is awful wouldn't feed it to my dog don't put anyone there . always needs help what up with that place Read more
Review of Golden Heights Personal Care Home
We placed my Mother in Law there a year ago and the care has been outstanding. She's never been happier; the staff is wonderful. Read more