7 Assisted Living Facilities near Lima, OH
Also serving communities of Cridersville, Wapakoneta.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lima area, with 6 in Lima and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lima is $3,575 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,465.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lima. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lima 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bluffton with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lima, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Lima, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lima
Lima is located in Allen County and is the home of the University of Northwestern Ohio and Ohio State University (Lima Campus). Per the insistence of Judge Patrick Goode, who chose the city's name in 1831, the city of Lima, Ohio, is pronounced "LEE-mah," not "LIE-mah."
Adults ages 65 and older make up 11.2 percent of Lima's population and have seven assisted living communities (ALFs) within its borders. Staff at Ohio's assisted living facilities must meet certain minimum training requirements, as set by the Ohio Department of Health’s Office of Health Assurance and Licensing, and they are always available to help residents with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, personal care and keeping their rooms clean.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lima
- Weather in Lima is a lot like other towns in this part of Ohio; cold winters give way to wet springs and mild summers. December lows of 19 degrees Fahrenheit can be a seasonal issue for seniors with COPD and other respiratory issues, but evening strolls on the property grounds in the 83 degree summers can be very comfortable. Lima gets 38 inches of rain a year, which encourages springtime allergens and might be an issue for seniors with asthma.
Lima's cost of living is a mixed bag for seniors. Housing is far below national median prices, but seniors in assisted living may pay 102 percent the national average for utility service. Health care is 6 percent more expensive here than average nationwide.
- Ohio's standard tax rate runs from 0.495 to 4.997 percent, plus local income tax, which can add between 0 and 3 percent. SSI and most forms of retirement income from investments are tax-free, though seniors may still have to pay sales taxes of from 6.5 to 8 percent. The state also charges gas tax of 28 cents a gallon.
- Crime is a problem for some people in Lima. Rates of property crime here are roughly double the national median, though violent crime is thankfully less common. Seniors who live in communities with round the clock staff presence are likely to be safe from burglaries and assault, which are somewhat more common in Lima than elsewhere in America.
- Lima's public transit service, the Allen County Regional Transit Authority, offers senior discount fares on regularly scheduled routes. The service also operates UPLIFT, a ride program specifically geared to the needs of adults with disabilities and limited mobility.
- The Lima area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mercy Health St. Rita's Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lima
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Lima start around $3,575 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lima and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lima
Seniors in Ohio who qualify for Medicaid can use a state Assisted Living Waiver to help cover the monthly cost of assisted living. This program is open to low- and no-income seniors who would otherwise be eligible for skilled nursing care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lima
Lima and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lima, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lima
Lima-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lima, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lima
Review of The Wyngate Senior Living Community
The Wyngate staff was friendly and offered us a drink and homemade cookies. It smelled good and the residents looked clean and happy. There were games and cards being played when we were there. I... Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Lima
Elmcroft of Lima was very clean, and the people were very nice. I like the fact that they had a memory center and a good activity schedule with interesting things for the clients. The person who to... Read more
Review of The Wyngate Senior Living Community
Our tour at The Wyngate was very good. They took a lot of time and gave us lots of personal attention. It's a smaller community that's cozy, clean, organized, and homey. I saw a single room that fi... Read more