3 Assisted Living Facilities near Star, NC
Also serving communities of Candor.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Star area, with 2 in Star and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Star is $2,678 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Star. Better rated regions include Asheboro with an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Star, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Star, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Star
The small community of Star is located in Montgomery County and is the exact geographic center of North Carolina. It has a little less than 900 residents, over 100 of whom are seniors. This community may be an attractive option for safety-minded seniors who are seeking assisted living services in a community where crime isn't a big concern. On a 100-point crime index, with a low score indicating less crime, Star's violent crime rate is several points below the national median at 18.4, and the property crime rate is a little below the national median at 33.5.
Assisted living facilities provide personal care services, along with housing, meals and often social and recreational activities, to seniors who need assistance with some activities of daily living. In spite of its small size, Star has two assisted living facilities, or assisted living residences, as they're formally called. These facilities are monitored by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Star
- Star's climate is relatively mild, which allows seniors to enjoy outdoor activities like golf throughout the year. Year-round highs range between 50 and 88 degrees, and the city gets just 3 inches of annual snowfall on average.
- Star is a very affordable place to live, which may make it a good option for seniors with limited resources. Its overall cost of living is about 20% below the national median and 15% below the statewide median, which may leave more money in the budget for assisted living expenses.
- On a 100-point health index, Star's air quality rates several points higher than the national average at 65. This may be good news for seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions to consider.
- The Star region has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Troy.
- Seniors residing in Star do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits. Other types of retirement income, including pension income and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts, are subject to a flat income tax rate.
- Star has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Montgomery County Council on Aging, an organization that provides transportation services, health screenings and travel programs for area seniors, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Star
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Star start around $2,678 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Star and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Star
Low-income seniors who are seeking assisted living accommodations in Star may qualify to have services covered under NC Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Star
Star and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Star, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Star
Star-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.