9 Assisted Living Facilities near New Bern, NC
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Bern area, with 7 in New Bern and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in New Bern is $3,027 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 39 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Bern. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Bern 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Morehead City with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in New Bern find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Bern, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in New Bern, NC
2 Assisted Living Facilities near New Bern, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Bern
Located on the banks of the Neuse River as it flows out to the Atlantic and the northern edge of Croatan National Forest, New Bern is considered one of the more beautiful towns in all of North Carolina. This may be why New Bern has been named by news outlets like The Today Show as one of the best places in America to retire. There are 13 assisted living facilities in the New Bern area, all of which are licensed and regulated by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Bern
- Much of the year, the weather in New Bern is temperate. Winters will drop below freezing every so often, usually in January, and will sometimes yield snow. Summer temperatures will peak in the high 80s, but cool off at night.
- New Bern is widely considered to have excellent air quality due to a number of factors: it’s not near any pollution-creating metropolitan areas, there is a lot of green space nearby, and it’s technically on the ocean, which creates sea breezes to blow the pollution away.
- Surprisingly, despite an ideal location and many other perks, New Bern’s cost of living is below the national average. And that’s on all fronts, from housing to groceries to health care. Residents will be paying below the national average price on just about everything here.
- New Bern's crime rate has been affected by its popularity, and it is much less safe of a town than many may envision. The violent crime rate is above both the state and national averages.
- New Bern’s Craven County offers a service called CARTS, which is a 32-vehicle fleet that has specifically modified vans, mini-buses and sedans to accommodate seniors who need rides around the area for a very low fee.
- The New Bern area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Vidant Medical Center. You are likely to receive top quality care in the event of a medical emergency or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Bern
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in New Bern start around $3,027 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Bern and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Bern
North Carolina offers the State/County Special Assistance Program, an SSI state supplement which provides elderly and low-income residents with enough financial aid to pay for the costs of adult care homes. This program is meant for seniors who need non-medical care on a regular basis but can no longer live at home on their own.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Bern
New Bern and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Bern, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Bern
New Bern-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in New Bern, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Bern
Review of Courtyards at Berne Village
My grandfather resided at Courtyards at Berne Village for six months. They didn't tell me all the extra fees available until upon arrival. They offer room service, and they deliver your food. He ha... Read more
Review of Brookdale New Bern
Brookdale New Bern was very nice. It had very nice facilities and opportunities for the residents to do things. The rooms were clean, good-sized for a single person, and they were very nice. The st... Read more
Review of Courtyards at Berne Village
My mom will be moving into assisted living at the Courtyards at Berne Village. The atmosphere was wonderful and the kindness of the staff was fantastic. Allison, the sales leader, was tremendous, a... Read more