5 Assisted Living Facilities near Kinston, NC
Also serving communities of Grifton, Snow Hill, Pink Hill.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kinston area, with 3 in Kinston and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kinston is $3,193 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kinston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kinston 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include La Grange with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kinston, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Kinston, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kinston
Kinston, North Carolina, is a city in Lenoir County with a sizable senior population — of the city's 20,509 residents, approximately 20.7 percent of them, or about 4,245, are 65 or over. To accommodate this population of seniors who may need assisted living services, there are five assisted living facilities, with three located in Kinston and two in the nearby communities of Snow Hill and Grifton.
North Carolina officially refers to assisted living facilities as assisted living residences (ALRs), and they are managed and regulated by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kinston
- The climate in Kinston, North Carolina is very comfortable throughout most of the year. On Sperling's comfort index, which rates a community's climate based on the number of days that reach between 70-80 degrees, Kinston receives a score of 69 out of 100, better than the U.S. average of 54. The area does get quite a bit of rain, however — Kinston averages 52 inches of rain a year, well above the national average of 39 inches.
- One benefit to living in Kinston for seniors is the affordable cost of living. According to Sperling's cost of living index, which factors the cost of food, utilities and housing, Kinston scores an affordable 79, well below the state average of 96 and national average of 100.
- Taxes in North Carolina are moderately friendly towards retired seniors. For seniors who plan to collect retirement income while in assisted living, the state's income tax of 5.499 percent is applied to all withdrawals from pension funds, IRAs and 401k accounts. However, all income from Social Security is tax exempt.
- Seniors entering assisted living communities in Kinston may want to inquire about additional security measures, as the crime rates in Kinston are rather high. On a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime), Kinston's violent crime rate is 91.7, well above the national average of 31.1 and state average of 28.9. Property crime is also high in Kinston: Its rate is 72.2, higher than both the state average of 43.8 and national average of 38.1.
- The Kinston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UNC Lenoir Health Care in Kinston, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Kinston has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Battle Center's Senior Friendship Club, an organization that offers travel, workshops and lunches, the Kinston Senior Dance Club, which includes weekly events with live entertainment and Water Aerobics at the community center pool.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kinston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Kinston start around $3,193 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kinston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kinston
North Carolina's Medicaid State Plan pays for personal care provided to eligible residents in ALRs and Adult Care Homes (ACHs).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kinston
Kinston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kinston, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kinston
Kinston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kinston
Review of Spring Arbor of Kinston
Spring Arbor had very clean rooms that were very nicely laid out and good response from the staff. All I could see in their dining area were just basically the tables and everything, but everything... Read more
Review of Spring Arbor of Kinston
My best friend lives at Spring Arbor. The meals are never warm and rarely good.. I think it is very expensive the what she receives. They charge extra for every little thing. The worst part tho... Read more