5 Assisted Living Facilities near Morehead City, NC
Also serving communities of Newport.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Morehead City area, with 2 in Morehead City and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Morehead City is $5,045 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,635. Cheaper nearby regions include Swansboro with an average starting cost of $3,600.
To help you with your search, browse the 12 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Morehead City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Morehead City 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Swansboro with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Morehead City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Morehead City, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Morehead City
Morehead City, North Carolina, is considered the gem of the Crystal Coast in North Carolina and is the largest town in Carteret County. It also has a sizeable senior population — of the town's 9,303 residents, approximately 21.1 percent are 65 or over, which is about 1,962 seniors. To accommodate residents who may benefit from assisted living services, there are three assisted living facilities in the area, with two located in Morehead City and one in nearby Newport.
The state of North Carolina officially refers to assisted living facilities as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs), and the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation is tasked with their oversight.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Morehead City
- The climate in Morehead City is very pleasant and comfortable throughout the year, which seniors can appreciate. On Sperling's comfort index, which takes into account the number of days each year that reach between 70-80 degrees, Morehead City receives a high score of 79 out of 100, making it one of the most comfortable climates in the country.
- The cost of living in Morehead City is quite affordable — on a cost of living index that takes such factors as utilities, food costs and housing prices into account, Morehead City scores an average of 97.8, about on par with the state average of 96. Both of these figures are below the national average of 100.
- One drawback to Morehead City is the high property crime rates, so seniors considering living here may want to inquire about added security measures. Violent crime is relatively low and falls at 28 on a crime index of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime). This is near the state average of 21.4. Property crime rates are 66.2, much higher than the state average of 37.7.
- Taxes in North Carolina are relatively moderate for seniors. Property taxes are low and the sales tax rate of 4.75 percent is about average nationally. Retirement income is taxed in North Carolina at 5.499 percent, and this includes pension funds, IRAs and 401k accounts. Social Security income is not taxed.
- The Morehead City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carteret Health Care, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Carteret County Area Transportation System provides public transportation for all residents of Carteret County, including seniors. They participate in many programs for seniors, including regularly scheduled trips to the Leon Mann Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Morehead City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Morehead City start around $5,045 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Morehead City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Morehead City
For eligible North Carolina residents in ALRs, the North Carolina Medicaid State Plan pays for services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Morehead City
Morehead City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Morehead City, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Morehead City
Morehead City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Morehead City, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Morehead City
Review of Brookdale Morehead City
I like that Brookdale Morehead City was large and airy in terms of rooms and facilities. The dining room was large and comfortable. Everything was clean. The residents seemed very pleasant and happ... Read more
Review of Carteret Landing Assisted Living
Carteret Landing Assisted Living was extremely clean. All of the residents seemed very comfortable and were enjoying themselves. There were many, many activities available. At the moment when we we... Read more
Review of Brookdale Morehead City
I chose Brookdale Morehead City for my sister. I was impressed with it. It was a most attractive building, with a nice porch out front. The interior is very well kept. The staff is most pleasant to... Read more