25 Assisted Living Facilities near Forest Lake, MN
Also serving communities of Wyoming.
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the Forest Lake area, with 4 in Forest Lake and 21 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 55 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Forest Lake. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Forest Lake 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fridley with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Forest Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Forest Lake, MN
21 Assisted Living Facilities near Forest Lake, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Forest Lake
Summer homes on the shores of the lake helped fuel the growth of the city of Forest Lake. Senior fishing enthusiasts have plenty of opportunities to land pike, bass and walleye on Forest Lake, with boats on the lake in summer and ice fishing in winter.
The city is home to around 20,000 people and residents aged 65 and over make up over 13 percent of the population. There are 25 assisted living facilities in the area offering accommodation to seniors who want some help with activities of daily living while staying mostly independent. In Forest Lake, and all of Minnesota, assisted living facilities are overseen by the Home Care and Assisted Living Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Forest Lake
- Seniors with respiratory conditions may appreciate the clean air in Forest Lake. The State of the Air 2019 report gives Washington County, including Forest Lake, high grades in the three categories used to measure air quality.
- The Forest Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fairview Lakes Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transport in Forest Lake is provided by Metro Transit. Reduced fares are available for people aged 65 and older during non-rush hours, and seniors may also be able to utilize Metro Mobility and Transit Link service which provide services to riders unable to use the regular routes.
- All forms of retirement income are taxed in Minnesota, including money from retirement funds, pensions and Social Security. In addition, state sales taxes are the sixth highest in the country, although some everyday items, including medications and most groceries and clothing, are exempt from sales tax. Seniors in the state may have a large tax bill, which can impact their assisted living budget.
- In Forest Lake, crime occurs at a rate of 39 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 94 percent of other communities in Minnesota. While the violent crime rate is lower than the state average, the property crime rate is 37.02, more than 15 points higher than the Minnesota rate. Seniors may wish to ask about security measures when touring facilities.
- Forest Lake is known for its harsh winters, with an average low in January of 3 degrees. The city gets 54 inches of snow each year, 26 inches more than the national average, and seniors may wish to ask facilities about their plans for extreme weather events.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Forest Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Forest Lake start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Forest Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Forest Lake
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Forest Lake
Forest Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Forest Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Forest Lake
Forest Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Forest Lake
Review of Cherrywood Pointe of Forest Lake
Cherrywood Pointe of Forest Lake was beautiful and had a great setup for taking care of their residents. The rooms were spacious and designed well. We have not tried the food, but we saw the dining... Read more
Review of Cherrywood Pointe of Forest Lake
Cherrywood Pointe of Forest Lake was great. I was looking at the two-bedroom, and it had two baths, a living room and a kitchen, but it's smaller than the other one we visited. Everything was on ma... Read more
Review of Birchwood Arbors
The Birchwood Arbors was really nice. It was a smaller place, so it would be homier for mom. I liked their dining room and their activities. Even my daughter said it was really nice. The only thing... Read more