19 Assisted Living Facilities near Zeeland, MI
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Zeeland area, with 2 in Zeeland and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Zeeland is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 83 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Zeeland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Zeeland 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Zeeland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Zeeland, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Zeeland
Zeeland is located in southwest Michigan and is home to several parks, including the Huizenga Park, where visitors can enjoy walking trails, picnic shelters and a small fishing pond. This small city has just over 5,500 residents, with the senior community making up almost a quarter of the population.
In Zeeland, assisted living facilities are officially called homes for the aged, and they accommodate older adults aged 60 and over. These facilities are licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Zeeland has two assisted living facilities, and there are over a dozen more in the surrounding region.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Zeeland
- Safety in Zeeland is rated 31 out of 100, meaning that the city has a lower crime rate than 31% of cities of all sizes across the country. However, when compared only to cities with similar population sizes, Zeeland's crime rate was near the midpoint. This may provide peace of mind for seniors researching local assisted living options.
- Summers in Zeeland are very comfortable with highs around 82 degrees and relatively low humidity levels, giving active seniors plenty of opportunities to enjoy the region's outdoor amenities. Winters are cold, however, with lows around 19, and the city gets an estimated 80 inches of annual snowfall.
- Zeeland provides its residents with mass transportation through MAX Transit service. This service operates 10 routes throughout the area and operates Monday through Saturday. Seniors age 65 and older ride all fixed routes for free.
- The Zeeland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Zeeland Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- In Zeeland, as in all of Michigan, seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits. While other forms of retirement income are taxed, senior taxpayers can claim a large benefit to minimize or eliminate this expense.
- Zeeland's overall cost of living is only slightly higher than the statewide average and on par with the national average. The cost of housing is about 15% higher than the national average and 30% higher than the state average, which may result in slightly higher assisted living expenses.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Zeeland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Zeeland start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Zeeland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Zeeland
Seniors in Zeeland who meet income and asset limits may have assisted living expenses covered through the Medicaid State Plan or through one of its waiver programs, including the MI Health Link and the MI Choice waiver programs. Seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income recipients may be eligible to receive the optional state supplement in addition to their monthly benefits, which may be used toward room and board expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Zeeland
Zeeland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Zeeland, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Zeeland
Zeeland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Zeeland
Review of Bluff Lake Specialized Care
Bluff Lake Specialized Care is a house and it's very clean, very open, and there's no odor. They only take six residents, and they take Medicaid waivers. We talked with the owner and two of the sta... Read more
Review of Royal Atrium Inn
Mother loved living at the Atrium and very much appreciated the fine staff available to help each of the residents that live there. They were all so caring and dedicated to their work with the resi... Read more
Review of Royal Atrium Inn
The Royal Park Atrium Inn, Zeeland, MI is a great place for your loved one. Spacious apartments, many activities, outings, delicious food, beautiful landscaping, most importantly, caring and gracio... Read more