35 Assisted Living Facilities near Allendale, MI
Also serving communities of Marne.
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Allendale area, with 2 in Allendale and 33 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 135 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Allendale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Allendale 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hudsonville with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Allendale, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Allendale, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Allendale
Allendale is 10 miles north of the Grand Rapids Metropolitan Area and has roughly 18,000 residents. Because it's home to Grand Valley State University, it is typically seen as a college town, but seniors make up about 5% of the population.
In Allendale, seniors who need supportive services may receive them at one of 36 local assisted living facilities, two of which are within the city. These facilities are officially called homes for the aged, since they're for adults age 60 and older, and they are governed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Allendale
- The Allendale area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Metro Health Allendale, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- In Allendale, retirees pay state income tax on almost all forms of income, but they can claim a large deduction to minimize the expense. Social Security benefits are not taxed at the state level.
- Allendale is a relatively expensive city to live in, particularly by Michigan’s standards. The overall cost of living is about 4% higher than the national average and 8% higher than the statewide average, which may be a consideration for seniors with limited budgets.
- Allendale has a lower crime rate than slightly more than half of all U.S. cities and a little less than half of Michigan cities. When compared only to similarly sized cities, Allendale’s crime rate is considerably lower. This may provide peace of mind for seniors who are looking at assisted living facilities here.
- With average summer highs around 80 degrees and winter lows around 20 degrees, Allendale ranks among the cooler cities in Michigan. Seniors seeking local assisted living options may want to find a facility that provides individual climate control in apartments.
- Historically, ozone pollution levels in the Allendale region have been high according to the American Lung Association, though the area has seen a drastic improvement in recent years. Even so, seniors who have certain health conditions may want to stay inside on high ozone days.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Allendale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Allendale start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Allendale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Allendale
Seniors who reside in Allendale and are unable to afford their assisted living expenses may have services covered by the Medicaid State Plan or one of its waiver programs, MI Health Link and MI Choice. Low-income seniors who receive SSI benefits are automatically eligible for the optional state supplement, which can be used toward living expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Allendale
Allendale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Allendale, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Allendale
Allendale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Allendale
Review of Green Acres of Allendale
Mom was pleased with Green Acres. She likes the room she was in, and she likes the food, too. There are plenty of activities during the week to keep them busy. The staff was very friendly. Her room... Read more