38 Assisted Living Facilities near North Andover, MA
Also serving communities of Methuen.
There are 38 Assisted Living Facilities in the North Andover area, with 4 in North Andover and 34 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in North Andover is $5,100 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Andover with an average starting cost of $4,090.
To help you with your search, browse the 231 reviews below for assisted living facilities in North Andover. On average, consumers rate assisted living in North Andover 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Haverhill with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in North Andover, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in North Andover, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in North Andover
North Andover, Massachusetts, is a town in Essex County, located in the northeastern part of Massachusetts, about 28 miles outside Boston, the state capital. There are just over 31,000 people living in North Andover, and of 31,013 residents, 14.5 percent are age 65 or over. There are 37 assisted living facilities, known as Assisted Living Residences (ALR), in the North Andover area, with four located within North Andover and 33 located in nearby areas, including Wilmington, Billerica, Danvers, Lynnfield, Haverhill and Chelmsford.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in North Andover
- North Andover has a comfortable year-round climate for most of the year, especially in the spring, summer and fall. The average high in July is around 82 degrees, and there are an average of 201 sunny days a year. Winters can be challenging in this area: North Andover gets an average of 54 inches of snow each year and the average January low is around 15 degrees. Seniors may want to keep this in mind if they find cold winters challenging.
- Seniors can feel quite safe living in North Andover, as both property and violent crime are lower than state and national averages. On a scale of one to 100, with one being low crime and 100 being high crime, North Andover sits at 16.5 for violent crime and 19.9 for property crime. Massachusetts's averages for violent and property crime are well above these levels at 31.6 for violent crime and 21.1 for property crime.
- Living in North Andover is more expensive than nearby areas, including Massachusetts as whole. On a cost of living index where the national average is 100, the state average for Massachusetts is 139. North Andover is 153 on this scale, with housing being the biggest factor affecting cost of living differences.
- The Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority (MVRTA) provides public transportation to North Andover and Merrimack Valley residents with bus service to nearby Lawrence, Boston, Haverhill and Amesbury. They offer reduced fares for seniors; passengers age 60 and over pay only 60 cents per ride, and 50 cents if they have a Charlie Card.
- The North Andover area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lawrence General Hospital in nearby Lawrence and Mass General Hospital in Boston, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Massachusetts is considered to be moderately tax-friendly towards retirees. Income from a 401k, IRA or private pension fund are taxed at the state rate of 5.1 percent. However, income from Social Security or a public pension fund are fully tax exempt.
Paying for Assisted Living in North Andover
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in North Andover start around $5,100 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in North Andover and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in North Andover
For seniors who live in assisted living, the Medicaid State Plan in Massachusetts, called MassHealth, pays for services for seniors who meet certain criteria.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in North Andover
North Andover and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in North Andover, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in North Andover
North Andover-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in North Andover, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in North Andover
Review of Prescott House
I was in for rehab services... my PT's and OT's were great, always pushed me to do more....nurses and aides were pleasant and helpful...mostly impressed with few aids that went far and beyond to he... Read more
Review of Ashland Farm at North Andover
The second seating dining (aside from made to order breakfast) is left-overs. The residents complain that there is too much fried food. The waiter/waitress staff is friendly and attentive, and it's... Read more
Review of Ashland Farm at North Andover
Ashland Farm at North Andover was a nice and inviting community. The staff was very pleasant and friendly, and the place was well kept. The apartments were an average size and well kept. The reside... Read more