39 Assisted Living Facilities near Andover, MA
There are 39 Assisted Living Facilities in the Andover area, with 3 in Andover and 36 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Andover is $4,295 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,630. Cheaper nearby regions include North Andover with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 321 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Andover. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Andover 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Tewksbury with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Andover, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Andover, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Andover
Andover, Massachusetts, is one of the oldest towns in New England, first settled in 1642. Its population estimate as of July 2017 is 35,937 residents, 14.3 percent of whom are age 65 or over. In the Andover area, there are 37 assisted living facilities to help serve this senior population.
In Andover as in the rest of Massachusetts, assisted living facilities are officially known as Assisted Living Residences, or ALRs, and they are regulated by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Andover
- The weather in Andover is relatively comfortable throughout much of the year. The average high in July is around 82 degrees and Andover has an average of 201 sunny days a year, so seniors can enjoy plenty of time outdoors. Winters in Andover, however, tend to be cold and snowy, as is the case for much of Massachusetts. On average, Andover receives about 51 inches of snow per year.
- Compared to the rest of Massachusetts and the entire country overall, Andover is more expensive to live in. On a cost of living index where the national average is 100, Massachusetts sits at 139 and Andover is at 177. Housing is the biggest factor in cost of living differences: Andover's score is 340, compared to the state average of 210. Seniors searching for assisted living communities in Andover may want to keep this in mind as they assess their budgets.
- Seniors can feel safe living in Andover since crime levels are lower than national averages and averages for the Boston-Cambridge-Newton Metro areas. On a scale of one (low crime) to 100 (high crime), Andover scores 23.2 for violent crime and 22.4 for property crime, lower than the national averages of 31.1 and 38.1, respectively. They're also lower than the averages for the surrounding Boston-Cambridge-Newton Metro area, which has a violent crime rate of 34.2 and a property crime rate of 34.5.
- The Andover area is home to world-class medical facilities, including nearby Lawrence General Hospital and Mass General Hospital in Boston, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Andover has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Council on Aging, an organization that provides input and guidance to the Elder Services Division and the town as a whole. Andover's Elder Services Center coordinates and implements programs designed to meet elderly needs. The town also has one senior center.
- Massachusetts is moderately tax-friendly towards retirees. The state fully exempts Social Security benefits and income from public pension funds. However, retirement income from a 401k, IRA or private pension are taxed at the state income tax rate of 5.1 percent.
Paying for Assisted Living in Andover
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Andover start around $4,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Andover and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Andover
Massachusetts offers MassHealth, the state Medicaid plan, that helps seniors pay for services in Assisted Living Residences as long as they meet certain criteria.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Andover
Andover and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Andover, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Andover
Andover-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Andover, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Andover
Review of Atria Marland Place
I toured Atria Marland Place. It was nice and clean, and the layout was elegant. It was a lot like a hotel. It was kind of big like a big hotel, and I really didn't feel that it was that homey. The... Read more
Review of Atria Marland Place
My mother was a resident recently and received excellent care. I was especially impressed with the executive Director. She delivered on all fronts and was a pleasure to deal with. Read more
Review of Atria Marland Place
Content: My dad has been living at Marland Place for three and a half years. I am blessed that he is member of the Marland community. Each staff member is always kind, thoughtful and respectful of ... Read more