25 Assisted Living Facilities near Billerica, MA
Also serving communities of North Billerica.
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the Billerica area, with 2 in Billerica and 23 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Billerica is $5,589 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Tewksbury with an average starting cost of $5,584.
To help you with your search, browse the 180 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Billerica. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Billerica 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dracut with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Billerica, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Billerica, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Billerica
America's Yankee Doodle Town, Billerica, Massachusetts, is located in Middlesex County, about 20 miles from Boston. Of its almost 43,000 residents, around 15% are aged 65 and older, and some may find they could benefit from the daily care and assistance offered at an assisted living residence (ALR). In Billerica and its neighboring communities, there are 39 of these facilities available, all of which are certified and regulated by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Billerica
- Crime rates in Billerica are especially low, which could be comforting to seniors living on their own or in an ALR. The town receives 11 out of 100 in terms of violent crime and 16 for property crime, compared to the U.S. national averages of 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories, respectively.
- Seniors looking to settle in this area may need to plan their finances carefully. Based on the U.S. national average of 100, the cost of living in Billerica is 146.1, which is also higher than the statewide average of 139.
- Billerica has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Billerica Council on Aging, an organization that serves as the town's primary resource for aging services, including a Respite Companion Program, transportation and a range of organized programs and activities, as well as a senior center.
- Despite comfortable summers, Billerica is known to experience harsh winters. Temperatures can drop as low as 17 degrees, and an average of 55 inches of snow is expected each year, which could limit the amount of time active seniors are able to spend enjoying the outdoors.
- The town is served by the Lowell Regional Transit Authority (LRTA), which offers both a fixed-route service, and Road Runner Dial-A-Ride door-to-door transportation. The Council on Aging also provides a number of transportation options for seniors, such as its local van service for medical appointments and errands and volunteer medical transportation.
- Billerica has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Lowell and Lexington.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Billerica
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Billerica start around $5,589 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Billerica and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Billerica
Seniors in Billerica can access financial support to help cover the cost of an ALR through the Money Follows the Person (MFP) waiver program, part of the Massachusetts Medicaid State Plan. Another option available for low-income seniors is adding the optional state supplement (OSS) to their Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, which helps to cover room and board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Billerica
Billerica and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Billerica, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Billerica
Billerica-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Billerica
Review of Brightview Concord River
We chose Brightview Concord River for my mom. It had good price, good community, and caring staff. It checked a lot of our boxes, and it was reasonable on the prices. I saw both care levels: assist... Read more
Review of Benchmark Senior Living at Billerica Crossings
We went to Benchmark Senior Living at Billerica Crossings. Everything was excellent, we were greeted at the door, the girl took us through all the things, we went through every aspect of the place.... Read more
Review of Benchmark Senior Living at Billerica Crossings
My father stayed at Benchmark Senior Living at Billerica Crossings. The layout was good. It was very welcoming and homey. The staff that had been there long term was very committed and very caring.... Read more