32 Assisted Living Facilities near Methuen, MA
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Methuen area, with 2 in Methuen and 30 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Methuen is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Windham with an average starting cost of $2,950.
To help you with your search, browse the 144 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Methuen. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Methuen 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Salem with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Methuen, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Methuen, MA
30 Assisted Living Facilities near Methuen, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Methuen
Originally organized as a town in 1725, Methuen, Massachusetts is a historic community of close to 50,000 residents. Around 15% of the population are seniors aged 65 and older who may require some degree of help with activities of daily living. Communities known in Methuen, and throughout the state, as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs) are available to provide this care. There are 38 of these facilities in the Methuen area, all of which are certified and regulated by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Methuen
- Seniors in Methuen can enjoy a variety of arts and culture opportunities. The town is home to many historic landmarks, including Nevins Memorial Library, the Searles building, Tenney Gatehouse, and the Civil War Monument, as well the historical Methuen Memorial Music Hall, which houses the Great Organ. Seniors can also enjoy an afternoon at The LOOP, which offers a mix of shops, dining and entertainment in one convenient location, or get active and take a walk on the Methuen Rail Trail.
- On average, the Methuen area sees some type of precipitation 126 days each year, including about 48 inches of rain and 56 inches of snow annually. Winter temperatures can drop below 20 degrees, though summers are quite comfortable, with highs in the low 80s.
- Though lower than the statewide average of 139, the cost of living in Methuen is higher than the U.S. national average of 100, which is something that seniors may need to consider when budgeting for an ALR. It receives an index score of 128.8, largely due to high housing costs.
Crime rates in Methuen are much lower than the national average, which could offer seniors peace of mind. On a scale to 100, Methuen scores a 13.1 for violent crime and 26.8 for property crime, compared to 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories on a national level.
- Methuen has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Methuen Department of Elder Affairs/Council on Aging, an organization that runs the Methuen Senior Activity Center, which offers a gathering place for retirees of all ages and hosts a meal program, weekly scheduled activities, crafting classes and organized day trips.
- The Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority (MVRTA) serves the northeast corner of Massachusetts, including Methuen. Seniors over the age of 60 are eligible for reduced fare rates. The MVRTA's Office of Special Services also offers alternative transportation options for elderly residents, such as EZ Trans curb-to-curb transportation, Ring & Ride and Medi-Ride.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Methuen
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Methuen start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Methuen and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Methuen
In addition to the coverage provided by Massachusetts' Medicaid State Plan program, seniors in Methuen can receive financial support to help with the cost of care at an ALR through the Group Adult Foster Care program and Money Follows the Person (MFP) waiver program. For seniors with low income, an optional state supplement (OSS) can be added to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments to help supplement the cost of room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Methuen
Methuen and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Methuen, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Methuen
Methuen-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Methuen
Review of Grace Morgan House
Grace Morgan House's people were very friendly and helpful. The facility, however, was not that good. It's an old house. They have shared and private rooms. The dining room was small, and it double... Read more
Review of Methuen Village at Riverwalk Park
My mother-in-law has been at Methuen Village at Riverwalk Park for a little over a week now. So far, I like it. They take good care of her. The place is really nice and they have little apartments.... Read more
Review of Grace Morgan House
Grace Morgan was a much older community that wasn't very large, but it was very nice, well-maintained, and very clean. It was like being at home. The parking was adequate. They offered shuttle serv... Read more