214 Assisted Living Facilities near Laurel, MD
There are 214 Assisted Living Facilities in the Laurel area, with 10 in Laurel and 204 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Laurel is $3,975 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,495. Cheaper nearby regions include Burtonsville with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 607 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Laurel. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Laurel 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fulton with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Laurel, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Laurel, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Laurel
Laurel, Maryland, is a small community with a long history as an industrial town. Many of its centuries-old landmarks are on the National Register of Historic Places and have been preserved for tourists and residents to enjoy.
Laurel is home to 25,115 people, including 8.6 percent of whom are 65 years old or older. This senior population can choose from the area’s 10 assisted living facilities, which are known in Laurel and throughout all of Maryland as assisted living programs. ALPs are licensed by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Laurel
- Laurel seniors can take advantage of Maryland tax breaks that will help them maximize their retirement wealth. Social Security income is not taxed at all, and public pensions and retirement accounts are only partially taxed. The state does fully tax private pensions, however.
- The Laurel area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the University of Maryland Laurel Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The crime rate in Laurel is above the national average, so seniors concerned about their security can talk to the assisted living providers about the best ways to stay safe. The town’s violent crime rate is nearly 12 points above the average crime rate in the country as a whole, with a score of 34.4 out of 100. Property crime is even higher with a rating of 49.8, putting it 14.4 points above the national average.
- Though winters in Laurel can get fairly cold, with an average mid-winter low of 25 degrees, seniors who want to avoid the snow will appreciate that the town receives just 11 inches of snowfall per year, on average. Summers are warm, with highs near 90 degrees.
- The cost of living in Laurel is higher than both the Maryland average and the national average, which could be a concern for seniors on a budget. Housing is especially high at 71.7 percent above the national average.
- Laurel has a number of options for seniors who enjoy arts and culture. The local senior center may provide day trips to venues like the Montpelier Arts Center, where seniors can catch live shows.
Paying for Assisted Living in Laurel
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Laurel start around $3,975 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Laurel and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Laurel
Maryland has programs to help Laurel seniors afford assisted living services. The Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program gives seniors residing in smaller facilities with between four and sixteen residents a subsidy of up to $650 per month. Residents of larger facilities can investigate the Home and Community Based Services Medicaid Program for options to make their assisted living more affordable.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Laurel
Laurel and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Laurel, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Laurel
Laurel-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Laurel, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Laurel
Review of Morningside House of Laurel
This facility is very kind and involved with the care of its residents. Read more
Review of Morningside House of Laurel
Morningside House of Laurel was nice and clean, and the staff who showed me around was good. I didn't have any problems with it. It was a little bit larger facility than the others, and it felt hom... Read more
Review of Shanti Homes
Unless your loved one is TOTALLY in the grips of dementia, don’t believe one word about care in this facility. There are NO activities, no entertainment. They will treat your loved one like a pott... Read more