54 Assisted Living Facilities near Fulton, MD
There are 54 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fulton area, with 3 in Fulton and 51 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fulton is $4,395 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Laurel with an average starting cost of $3,892.
To help you with your search, browse the 149 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fulton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fulton 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Columbia with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fulton, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Fulton, MD
51 Assisted Living Facilities near Fulton, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fulton
Fulton is home to the African Art Museum of Maryland, where visitors can explore exhibits of African art or participate in one of the museum's many educational programs. This small city is located in Howard County, where seniors account for about 14% of the 320,000-person population. There are three facilities in Fulton for seniors to choose from and more than 50 more options in nearby cities.
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene licenses three different types of assisted living facilities in Maryland according to the level of care they provide. In Fulton, as in all of the state, assisted living facilities are officially called assisted living programs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fulton
- Maryland seniors pay state income tax on private pension income, and there is a tax deduction for government pensions and withdrawals from retirement accounts. Social Security benefits are not taxed at the state level in Maryland, which may leave more money for assisted living expenses in Fulton.
- The air quality of Fulton is excellent, which may be beneficial to some seniors. The American Lung Association gives Howard County, where this city is located, an A for 24-hour particle pollution and a passing score for annual particle pollution.
- The Fulton area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Columbia.
Summers in Fulton last from late May until the middle of September and tend to be warm and humid with highs in the mid-80s. Winters last from the beginning of December until the beginning of March and have highs around 41 degrees. This may appeal to seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons.
- Fulton is an expensive place to live, even by Maryland's standards. The overall cost of living here is about 82% higher than the national average and over 50% higher than the statewide average. This may be a consideration for seniors who have limited retirement budgets.
- Fulton's overall crime rate is notably below the national average, which may provide peace of mind for seniors and their families. On a 100-point index, with a lower score indicating less crime, the city's violent crime rate is 14.3 and the property crime rate is 26.6, compared to the respective national averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fulton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Fulton start around $4,395 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fulton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fulton
Seniors who meet income and asset guidelines and reside in a Level II or Level III facility may have services covered through the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Options waiver program. Additionally, the state's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program may also provide some assisted living services for qualifying seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fulton
Fulton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fulton, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fulton
Fulton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fulton
Review of Montclaire Manor, Inc
The Montclaire Manor was suggested by a social worker from a hospital my mom was in, so I went with it. Mom seems to like the community, so we’re going to leave her there. It’s working out well for... Read more