8 Assisted Living Facilities near Brewer, ME
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Brewer area, with 1 in Brewer and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 16 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brewer. Better rated regions include Bangor with an average rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brewer, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Brewer, ME
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Brewer, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brewer
Brewer, Maine, a small city just east of its so-called "sister city" Bangor, Maine, has a population of just over 9,000 people and has only one assisted living facility within the city limits. However, seven more facilities are located in nearby communities. The Office of Aging & Disability Services, a division of Maine's DHHS, supports the state's older and disabled adults by regulating ALFs that provide long-term care and support services to residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brewer
- Since Brewer is located in Northern New England, the weather tends to be cooler on average, although the area does experience four seasons. Spring and summer are typically comfortable, but winters are often harsh. Brewer receives an average of 67 inches of snow per year, well above the US average of 26 inches. This type of weather may be difficult for those who have trouble tolerating colder temperatures.
- Brewer's cost of living is lower than the US average. On a scaled index of 1 to 100, with 100 being the US average, Brewer's cost of living is 98.6. However, the cost of groceries and health care services are typically a bit higher than the national average, which could be a problem for low-income seniors.
- Maine does not tax social security income, which is a nice benefit for seniors. However, other forms of retirement income are taxed at rates as high as 7.15 percent, making it a state that isn't entirely tax-friendly for retirees.
- Crime in Brewer is relatively low, placing well below or around the US average for both violent and property crime. On a scale of 1 to 100, violent crime in Brewer sits at 24.8, lower than the US average of 31.1, and property crime is 43.6, slightly higher than the US average of 38.1.
- The City of Brewer participates in the funding of the Community Connector bus routes, which serve Brewer and surrounding areas, including Bangor. Half-off discounted fares for seniors are available.
- Brewer has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in nearby Bangor at Eastern Maine Medical Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brewer
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Brewer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brewer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brewer
Maine pays for services in assisted housing programs through the Medicaid MaineCare State Plan and the MaineCare 1915(c) Elderly Waiver program. The state also has several non-medicaid state-funded affordable assisted living facilities (ACFs).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brewer
Brewer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brewer, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brewer
Brewer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.