4 Assisted Living Facilities near Camden, ME
Also serving communities of Rockland, Deer Isle.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Camden area, with 2 in Camden and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Camden. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Camden 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Belfast with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Camden, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Camden, ME
2 Assisted Living Facilities near Camden, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Camden
Camden, Maine, is a small, quaint community of just 4,855 residents as of 2017; 14.2 percent of those residents are in their 60s, and 10.7 percent are in their 70s. To accommodate this population of seniors, there are two assisted living communities within Camden with four more located in nearby towns, including Belfast, Rockland and Deer Isle.
The state of Maine officially refers to assisted living facilities as assisted living programs (ALPs) and they are regulated by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Camden
- Camden experiences four distinct seasons each year, and summers are relatively pleasant. There are about 200 sunny days a year on average in Camden. The average July high is around 76 degrees, a comfortable temperature to be outdoors. Winters can be quite cold and snowy, however, which might be challenging for seniors who don't like the cold. The January low is 13 degrees, and the area receives an average of 58 inches of snow per year.
- Crime is relatively low in Camden. On a scale of one to 100, where one is low crime and 100 is high crime, Camden sits at 37.6 for violent crime and 39.5 for property crime. These figures are both higher than the crime rates for Maine overall, which are 24.1 for property crime and 15.7 for violent crime.
- Cost of living in Camden is relatively affordable at 117.6 on a cost of living index where the national average is 100. This is a bit higher than Maine's cost of living which is 105. Housing is the biggest factor in this difference.
- While there is no local transportation in Camden, the Concord Coach bus service has a Maine Coast Route that connects Portland, ME, Boston, MA, and Logan Airport with many Maine towns, including Camden, Bath and Bangor. Many buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts, and priority seating is available for the elderly.
- Camden has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located at Pen Bay Medical Center in nearby Rockport.
- Maine is not considered to be a tax-friendly state for retirees. Although Social Security income is tax exempt, other forms of retirement income are not. Seniors who receive income from a 401k, IRA or pension fund, whether public or private, may pay tax rates as high as 7.15 percent.
Paying for Assisted Living in Camden
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Camden start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Camden and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Camden
MaineCare, Maine's state name for Medicare, offers the Consumer Directed Attendant Services Program, which helps pay for personal care regardless of where the individual resides, including in an assisted living facility, and which allows participants to choose their own care providers.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Camden
Camden and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Camden, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Camden
Camden-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Camden
Review of Quarry Hill
My partner was once on Quarry Hill for respite. When we got there the bed wasn't made and there were no curtains on the windows, so I have some negative feelings about the place. They have a pleasa... Read more
Review of Quarry Hill
We visited the assisted living level of Quarry Hill. The overall ambiance of the place is very good, very clean, and doesn't smell. They have 24-maintenance, 24-hour CNAs, and a medical director. F... Read more
Review of Windward Gardens
Windward Gardens' setup for assisted living is one shared room with a shared bathroom and no kitchenette. My in-laws would not want to be in one small room. It's a much smaller community than the o... Read more