3 Assisted Living Facilities near Belfast, ME
Also serving communities of Blue Hill.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Belfast area, with 2 in Belfast and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 15 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Belfast. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Belfast 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Augusta with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Belfast, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Belfast, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Belfast
Belfast, Maine, is a charming seaport city located at the mouth of the Passagassawakeag River estuary, which is on Belfast Bay and Penobscot Bay. It has a wealth of unique architecture in several historic districts, and is a popular destination for New England tourists. Belfast is home to 6,752 residents, 25.8 percent of whom are 65 or over. To accommodate this population of seniors, there are three assisted living facilities, with two located within the city limits and one in nearby Camden.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Belfast
- Weather in Belfast is relatively mild most of the year, including in spring, summer and fall. The average July high is around 78 degrees, and it gets about 48 inches of rain on average each year. Winters can be rather cold and snowy. The average January low is 10 degrees, and the area gets about 63 inches of snow yearly.
- The cost of living in Belfast is a real benefit to living in the area. On a cost of living index, the city's ranking of 98.5 is comparable to the national average of 100 and is less than Maine overall, which is 105. Housing is also generally less expensive in Belfast than in other places in Maine.
- Seniors can consider themselves relatively safe living in Belfast. Violent crime rates are right at the national average of 31.1, although this is higher than the state average of 15.7. Property crime in Belfast is a bit more common at 44.9, well above the state average of 24.1, so seniors investigating assisted living facilities here may want to ask about existing security measures.
- Belfast, which is located within Waldo County, has transportation available from Waldo Community Action Partners, which offers public transportation services from both Belfast and Rockland. The bus makes a continuous loop Monday-Friday, and passengers can be dropped off and picked up anywhere along the route. Vehicles are wheelchair accessible for seniors and can also accommodate walkers and motorized scooters.
- The Belfast area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Waldo County General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Maine is not considered to be a tax-friendly state for retirees. Although Social Security income is fully tax exempt, other forms of retirement income are taxed at rates as high as 7.15 percent. This includes income from a 401k, IRA or pension funds.
Paying for Assisted Living in Belfast
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Belfast start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Belfast and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Belfast
In Maine, MaineCare is available to help seniors pay for personal care, regardless of where they reside, including in an assisted living community. The option is called CDAS or Personal Care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Belfast
Belfast and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Belfast, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Belfast
Belfast-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Belfast
Review of Harbor Hill Center
My grandmother fell and broke her hip, she stayed there for respite, the staff were very friendly and attentive. I know how hard it can be taking care of multiple elderly at a time , you have ... Read more
Review of The Residence at Tall Pines
My mother went in as an Independent, then eventually went to assisted living before she needed full time care. The Residence took wonderful care of her and the nurses and nurses aids were the best... Read more
Review of Harbor Hill Center
Been there a lot to visit - not a clean and well managed place. Make sure you go several times to see for yourself, not much interaction with residents. Met a few good staff, but the care and san... Read more