8 Assisted Living Facilities near Orono, ME
Also serving communities of Franklin.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Orono area, with 2 in Orono and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Orono is $4,975 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 17 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Orono. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Orono 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Orono, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Orono, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Orono
Orono is part of the Bangor Region of Maine and is known for its sightseeing opportunities. Locals enjoy exploring the area by walking the Stillwater River Trail, which follows an old rail bed constructed in the 1860s. There are a little less than 11,000 people in this town, about 11% of whom are aged 65 and over.
Seniors in Orono who need assistance with some daily living activities may choose to reside in one of the area's assisted living facilities. In Orono, assisted living facilities are collectively referred to as the assisted housing program. This program includes nine different kinds of facilities, including assisted living programs, four different types of residential care programs and four levels of private non-medical institutions. Orono has two assisted living facilities, and there are six more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Orono
- While seniors in Orono do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits, all other types of retirement income are taxed. The state also has very high property taxes, which may affect seniors who own property in the region.
- The overall cost of living in Orono is roughly on par with the statewide average and about 3% higher than the national average. This may be a consideration for seniors who are moving from out of state to an assisted living facility in the area.
- Public transportation in Orono is provided by the Black Bear Orono Express. This service is available Monday through Saturday, and adults aged 60 and over are eligible for the Half Fare Program.
- The Orono area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Eastern Maine Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- While summers are generally pleasant in Orono with highs in the upper-70s, winters are very cold and snowy with lows in the single digits and an average annual snowfall of nearly 70 inches. Seniors may want to find out what types of indoor activities are available during the winter months at the assisted living facility they choose.
- Seniors with respiratory conditions can breathe easy in Orono, where the American Lung Association reports exceptional air quality with very low ozone and particle pollution levels.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Orono
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Orono start around $4,975 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Orono and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Orono
Maine assists seniors by providing 7 state-funded assisted living facilities for those who qualify to participate in the assisted living services program. Residents pay only a co-pay and share of cost based on their income and expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Orono
Orono and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Orono, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Orono
Orono-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Orono
Review of Dirigo Pines
The staff have been so wonderful to provide the opportunity to skype with my mother. Kindness and compassion are qualities the staff give my mother. I give them 5 stars. Read more