9 Assisted Living Facilities near Derby, KS
Also serving communities of Wellington.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Derby area, with 4 in Derby and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Derby is $5,130 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Wichita with an average starting cost of $4,366.
To help you with your search, browse the 32 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Derby. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Derby 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Newton with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Derby, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Derby, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Derby
Derby is the largest suburb in the Wichita metropolitan area, with a population of about 24,000. This city is known for its lush landscape and has an unusually large number of parks for its size, with High Park being the largest. Seniors in Derby also have access to 21 assisted living facilities, including four in Derby itself and the other 17 in nearby cities like Wichita and Andover. The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services regulates assisted living and residential healthcare facilities in that state. These facilities also provide assistance with general living activities such as eating, grooming and medication reminders.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Derby
- Its position in the center of the United States gives Derby greater temperature variations than many other cities, resulting in a comfort rating slightly below average. The average high temperature in July is 91 degrees, while the average low temperature in January is 22 degrees. Seniors in Derby will typically need to restrict their outdoor activities during both summer and winter.
- Derby’s overall cost of living should generally be affordable for seniors on a budget since it’s about six percent below the national average. Groceries are particularly inexpensive at 12 percent below average, and housing is 10 percent below average. All other living expenses are slightly below the national average in Derby.
- Derby has a low crime rate despite its location within a major metropolitan area, so seniors living there should feel safe provided they take standard precautions. The overall crime rate in this city is 23.66 per thousand people per year, compared to the national average of 28.37. The rate of violent crime is particularly low at 0.93, which is significantly less than the national average of 3.86.
- The Derby Dash is a shuttle service that provides on-demand public transportation within Derby’s city limits. Sedgwick County Transportation provides senior citizens 60 and over with transportation to and from Wichita. This service operates on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The Derby Senior Center provides a wide variety of programs for seniors 55 and up. General activities include cards, pool and exercise, in addition to daily hot lunches. The senior center’s monthly newsletter provides specific information on the scheduled activities for that month.
- The Derby area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Tanglewood Medical Center, Wesley Derby ER and Rock Surgery Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Derby
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Derby start around $4,878 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Derby and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Derby
The Frail Elderly waiver provides seniors in Kansas with an alternative to nursing home care. These services include assistance with health services, household tasks and personal care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Derby
Derby and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Derby, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Derby
Derby-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Derby
Review of Derby Assisted Living
I chose Derby Assisted Living because the rooms are larger and it was a better fit for me. I'm just a new resident, so everything has been excellent. The staff is great. I have standby on my bath, ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Derby
I visited my friend at Brookdale Derby and I did a walk through and an interview with the director there. The rooms were a little bit smaller and it felt kind of claustrophobic. It was also more ex... Read more
Review of Glen Carr House Memory Care
We chose Glen Carr House Memory Care for my mother. They do a lot of games, word searches, memory recognition, and outings. It's a nine-bed unit, so they get more one-on-one attention than they wou... Read more