3 Assisted Living Facilities near Newton, KS
Also serving communities of Halstead, Moundridge, Marion.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newton area, with 2 in Newton and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newton 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newton, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Newton, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newton
The city of Newton, Kansas, located about 25 miles north of Wichita, provides retired Americans with a suburban setting that’s close to all the big-city amenities. Seniors, aged 65 and over, make up nearly 18% of the city's population of about 19,000. Two assisted living communities in Newton and one in nearby Halstead provide residents with personal care and 24-hour support services to help with senior living.
The Department for Aging and Disability Services governs assisted living communities in Newton, as in all of Kansas.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newton
- Newton is a very desirable location for seniors on a tight budget. The overall cost of living here is about 7% less expensive than the state’s average and 17% lower than the national average. The greatest savings are found in housing, transportation and groceries.
- The Newton area has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Harvey County Department on Aging, which provides services such as the grocery delivery Store-To-Door program while also managing the Newton Area Senior Center.
- Hot and excessively humid summers make Newton a poor choice for seniors who prefer a dry, moderate climate. The average high in July is 92 degrees, and January’s low is 20 degrees.
- Crime rates in Newton exceed the U.S. averages, which may be of concern for families considering placing loved ones in facilities here. A 33.4 violent crime rate (on a scale of 1 to 100) and 49.2 property crime rate are significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Kansas was ranked No. 3 on Kiplinger’s 10 Least Tax-Friendly States for Retirees in 2018. Newton seniors pay taxes on out-of-state pension plans as well as distributions from individual retirement accounts and 401(k) plans. Residents with a federal adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less are not taxed on Social Security benefits, but those above that threshold do pay taxes.
- The Newton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Newton Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Newton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newton
To help reduce the burden of paying for assisted living, Kansas offers seniors the Medicaid Frail Elderly (FE) waiver. This Home and Community Based Services program helps those who need a higher level of care choose an assisted living community instead. It does not cover room and board, but does cover care services recommended by the ALF's plan of care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newton
Newton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newton, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newton
Newton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Newton, KS
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newton
Review of Asbury Park
Asbury Park is very nice, new, and modern-looking. It's a really nice neighborhood. You can order meals that they can bring to you at your place if you're not feeling well. They have a beauty shop.... Read more
Review of Asbury Park
Asbury Park is what we decided on. It's a very nice place. The cafeteria was very clean and nice. The rooms were very nice and clean. It was in a very good and nice neighborhood. Read more
Review of Asbury Park
After 32 years in independent living on the campus of Asbury Park, I moved into assisted living. It has been wonderful, with help in whatever way I need it. A nurse on duty if I have health questio... Read more