Located in Forsyth County, Cumming is a city of approximately 6,547 people. Seniors make up 20% of the population, which is above the national average of 16.5%, indicating that Cumming is appealing to older generations. The Chamber of Commerce named it one of the best cities to live in Georgia, partly due to popular activities, such as balloon rides over Sawnee Mountain Preserve. The Aquatic Center and Lake Lanier are also favorites with seniors.

The aging process can make daily tasks more challenging, such as cleaning the home. Assisted living facilities offer a solution for seniors struggling with chores but are reluctant to give up their independence. The facilities ensure seniors retain their freedoms while living in communities that offer 24/7 security and staff who take care of daily tasks. The 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey revealed that average monthly costs for assisted living in Cumming are $4,263, which is above Georgia’s average of $3,500 but below the national average of $4,300.

This guide covers assisted living costs in more detail. It also discusses the pros and cons of living in Cumming and lists some resources for seniors and their families.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Cumming, GA

Villas at Canterfield

815 Atlanta Highway, Cumming, GA, 30040

I visited Villas at Canterfield. They have music that comes in on Fridays. When I went there, somebody with a guitar came and they had everybody set up in the main area. They were listening and they h … (read more)

Lanier Place

440 Tribble Gap, Cumming, GA, 30040

I found a place for my dad, and it’s called Lanier Place. The staff is incredible. If I could give them 10 stars, I would give them 10 stars. They’re that good. They just make you feel like your famil … (read more)

Towne Club Windermere

3950 Towne Club Parkway, Cumming, GA, 30041

I would give Towne Club Windermere a five all the way around. That was my favorite place, but it is set up more like an apartment building. It’s a tower and you had to get on an elevator, and Mom wasn … (read more)

Oaks at Gracemont

4940 Jot Em Down Rd., Cumming, GA, 30040

It had a beautiful ambiance and surroundings, the outside was beautiful. What did not sit well with us was that we went in and there was no one out for activities. It was beautiful but not active, and … (read more)

Oaks at Post Road

3875 Post Road, Cumming, GA, 30040

I toured Oaks at Post Road. It was actually my favorite. It was one level. The rooms were larger. There were two closets: a walk-in and a regular closet. It was a little bit older, but it was much sma … (read more)

Oaks at Hampton

5610 Hampton Park Drive, Cumming, GA, 30041

I visited both assisted living and memory care at Oaks at Hampton. In the assisted living part, the halls were very small. It was kind of dark. It had the one-room. It was definitely not for our famil … (read more)

The Phoenix at James Creek

90 Ruth Lane, Cumming, GA, 30041

I liked The Phoenix at James Creek. It’s newer, and the amenities that they have for the residents were just a lot more than what she’s currently getting right now where she is. When you first walked … (read more)

Oaks at Shiloh Point

7955 Majors Road, Cumming, GA, 30041

The Mann House – Cumming

8025 Major Road, Cumming, GA, 30041

Country Gardens Lanier

255 Elm Street, Cumming, GA, 30040

Cumming Health and Rehab

2775 Castleberry Rd, Cumming, GA, 30040

My mom was in Cumming Manor Personal Care for short term. I think the care and the staff were very nice, but the food was horrible. Nothing tasted good. That was part of the reason we had to get her o … (read more)

Brickmont of John’s Creek

2285 Peachtree Parkway, Cumming, GA, 30041

I’m in Brickmont of John’s Creek assisted living and what I like least about it is that their food is terrible. What I like best is that everybody’s very nice and very gracious. I just don’t need this … (read more)

2015, 2016

Sunrise of Johns Creek

11405 Medlock Bridge Road, Johns Creek, GA, 30097

Nestled along the Chattahoochee River, Sunrise of Johns Creek is located in Johns Creek, Georgia, close to the Mall of Georgia, Johns Creek Town Center and Peachtree Golf Course. Residents’ family mem … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Buford

4450 Old Hamilton Mill Road, Buford, GA, 30518

We chose Charter Senior Living of Buford for my dad because of its location. We also targeted that area because we needed speech therapy. As it turns out, the company they have a contract with did not … (read more)

The Phoenix at Milton

13943 Highway 9 North, Milton, GA, 30004

Our tour at The Phoenix at Milton was outstanding. The people there were just exceptional in terms of their willingness to help us, talk about what they do and their jobs, and also just the dynamic pe … (read more)

Magnolia Senior Living Sugar Hill

422 Riverside Road, Sugar Hill, GA, 30518

I had a good feeling about Magnolia Senior Living Sugar Hill when I entered it. The young lady that we met with, Abby, was very welcoming and very accommodating. So was the rest of the staff. We went … (read more)

Village Park Senior Living

12300 Morris Rd, Alpharetta, GA, 30005

Village Park Senior Living is located in Alpharetta, Georgia, near Routes 19 and 120, and the Avalon shopping mall and its numerous dining options. Visitors and residents compliment the larg … (read more)

Belmont Village Johns Creek

4315 Johns Creek Parkway, Suwanee, GA, 30024

Belmont Village Johns Creek is in Suwanee, Georgia, near Georgia Highway 141, Johns Creek Town Center shopping mall and Emory Johns Creek Hospital. Visitors comment on the peaceful and pleasant atmosp … (read more)

Antebellum James Burgess

1520 James Burgess Rd, Suwanee, GA, 30024

Our Mom was in Antebellum James Burgess and her apartment was very nice and the people nicer. They treated her with respect and dignity. And they were extremely loving to her. We highly recommend i … (read more)

Manor Lake Dawsonville

3769 Kallie Circle, Dawsonville, GA, 30534

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cumming

The Georgia Department of Community Health is responsible for ensuring the state’s assisted living facilities conform to its standards. It has the authority to issue licenses and revoke them if a facility continually violates standards. At a local level, some work is conducted by the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, although it has no direct authority over facilities.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cumming

• Sperling’s Best Places’ cost of living indices are based on a national average of 100. The figure for Cumming is 116.1, indicating that it is more expensive than the typical American city. This appears to be the case in most categories, including transportation costs and utilities, although housing costs appear to be the main driver for the score. However, health care costs, which will be of particular interest to seniors in assisted living, are below the national and state averages at 87.7.
  • The average low for January is 28 degrees Fahrenheit, while in July, the average is 88 degrees. Precipitation is above average at 54.11 inches, but seniors in Cumming shouldn’t need to worry about snow-filled sidewalks, as the annual average is only one inch.
  • In terms of crime, Cumming is a city of two halves. The chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are very low, 1 in 546, compared to the state average of 1 in 294 (which is lower than the national average). However, property crime is more of an issue, with the chances of being a victim at 1 in 25, while the state average is 1 in 42. It’s worth remembering that many assisted living communities provide 24/7 security.
  • Seniors in Cumming have access to excellent health care services, particularly considering the city’s small size. The primary medical facility is the high-performing Northside Hospital Forsyth, which includes the well-regarded Forsyth Cancer Center. Also, since Cumming is only 40 minutes from Atlanta, its seniors can easily reach nationally ranked hospitals, such as Emory University Hospital
  • Forsyth County offers several low-cost programs to help seniors get around, including Dial-a-Ride, where fares are $2 per trip. The service uses wheelchair-accessible vans.

Paying for Assisted Living in Cumming

Many factors can influence assisted living costs, which explains why a senior in Cumming can pay $4,263 while the state average is $3,500. The following examples from the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey show how different costs can be between cities and types of care.

The Cost of Living in Nearby Cities

Although fees in Cumming ($4,263) are the highest in the state, they’re lower than the national average of $4,300. Less than 40 minutes from Cumming, seniors in Atlanta typically pay $4,000 for assisted living. Costs are lower in Dalton, where $3,588 is the norm, while in Athens, seniors can expect to pay approximately $3,366. The most affordable assisted living costs are in Rome, with fees averaging  $3,088.

$4263

Atlanta

$3366

Athens

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Despite assisted living offering accommodation with care, its average fees of $4,263 are below the costs of home and home health care, both of which average at $4,385. The Genworth survey doesn’t include adult day care costs for Cumming, but the state average is $1,355. The costs in nursing homes reflect the intense levels of care they provide. A typical semiprivate room is $6,388, while seniors who want the privacy of a private room can expect to pay $6,692 per month.

$4385

Home care

$4385

Home health care

$4263

Assisted living

$6388

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6692

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cumming

Eligible seniors can apply for financial assistance with assisted living in Cumming through two state-operated programs: Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) and the Community Care Service Program (CCSP). Both of these are Medicaid waiver programs and subject to availability.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cumming

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Cumming

The following resources can help families get help with assisted living costs and resolutions to their concerns about the communities where their loved ones reside.

ResourceContactService
Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman(470) 691-1301The Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for the rights of seniors residing in residential care communities in Georgia. Ombudsmen make unannounced visits to care facilities to speak to residents, listen to their concerns and investigate complaints made by them, their families or third parties. Additionally, the ombudsman holds data about every licensed care home, which is available to families on request.
VA Aid and Attendance Benefits(800) 827-1000U.S. military veterans and their spouses currently residing in senior care communities can apply for the VA Aid and Attendance benefit. It’s a monthly payment added to the VA pension to help pay for care costs, with no requirement to repay payments. Each vet receives a unique figure, with the maximums being $1,881 for a single vet, $1,209 for a surviving spouse and $2,230 for a couple. Vets unsure if they qualify can find out by using the free tool on the VeteranAid.org website.
Community Care Services Program (CCSP)(770) 538-2650CCSP is a Medicaid waiver program that seniors can apply for to help with their assisted living costs. Although the program can’t finance room and board, it can help with other costs associated with care, such as medications and transportation to medical facilities. To be eligible, seniors must prove that they are U.S. citizens (or legal residents), reside in Georgia and have income levels at or below the maximum limits. Additionally, they must provide evidence from a doctor that assisted living care is suitable for their needs.
GeorgiaCares Program(866) 552-4464The GeorgiaCares Program is a State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). Counselors provide free information, advice and guidance to seniors who are Medicare beneficiaries and those who need assistance with enrolling. The counselors can help seniors understand their coverage and identify additional plans that can cover shortfalls. Although these may include private health care insurance, the counselors won’t try to sell plans as their services are unbiased. They can also help seniors with appeals.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cumming

Cumming-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cumming