Suwanee, Georgia, is a rapidly growing suburban community located near Lake Lanier, about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta. The city is home to 20,907 residents. Although adults aged 65 and older represent just 9% of the population, almost half the national average, the area has a number of age-friendly amenities. Seniors enjoy a pleasant climate, a moderate cost of living and quality health care at competitive prices. The area is also home to a handful of assisted living facilities.

Assisted living is an appealing option for seniors who want added security and convenience. These communities offer maintenance-free apartments, comprehensive meal plans, recreational activities and around-the-clock access to personal care attendants for just $4,263 per month. Although local residents pay more than seniors in other parts of the state, rates are similar to the national average of $4,300. However, prices may vary depending on the size of the community, its amenities and the level of service requested.

This guide features information about local assisted living facilities, average costs and alternative forms of long-term care. It also includes information about the area’s amenities and community resources that can help with healthy aging and assisted living placement.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Suwanee, GA

Belmont Village Johns Creek

4315 Johns Creek Parkway, Suwanee, GA, 30024

Belmont Village Johns Creek is in Suwanee, Georgia, near Georgia Highway 141, Johns Creek Town Center shopping mall and Emory Johns Creek Hospital. Visitors comment on the peaceful and pleasant atmosp … (read more)

Antebellum James Burgess

1520 James Burgess Rd, Suwanee, GA, 30024

Our Mom was in Antebellum James Burgess and her apartment was very nice and the people nicer. They treated her with respect and dignity. And they were extremely loving to her. We highly recommend i … (read more)

Celebration Village Forsyth

3000 Celebration Blvd, Suwanee, GA, 30024

This place is all show and marketing. If you need independent living it’s pretty, some of the staff are nice and the food is generally good. But if your loved one needs assisted living or memory car … (read more)

Heartis Suwanee

4055 Suwanee Dam Road, Suwanee, GA, 30024

We went to look at Heartis Suwanee. My mom felt it was very commercial, and she did not like that feeling. We had met with the salesperson who took us around, and we had a good feeling about it, but s … (read more)

Oaks at Suwanee Creek

3681 Burnett Road, Suwanee, GA, 30024

My husband and I visited as we are looking for a loved one. It was a gorgeous facility and had beautiful rooms! The size of them was much larger than we anticipated and seemed like it would be a great … (read more)

Discovery Village at Sugarloaf

1220 Satellite Boulevard, Suwanee, GA, 30024

My mother loved Discovery Village At Sugarloaf. The residents were walking around, eating dinner, they stopped and spoke to my mom, and the staff member introduced her to pretty much everybody that th … (read more)

Arbor Terrace South Forsyth

3180 Karen White Dr., Suwanee, GA, 30024

I’ve chosen Arbor Terrace for my dad and he moved in on Monday. It’s closer to me, very clean, a very nice assisted living, and upscale. They have a library, a therapy room, and media center. They do … (read more)

Annandale Village

3500 ANNANDALE LANE, Suwanee, GA, 30024

2019, 2021, 2022

Parc at Duluth

3315 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Duluth, GA, 30096

Parc at Duluth is located near Abbotts Bridge Recreation Area and the Chattahoochee River in Norcross, Georgia. Visitors comment on the beauty and cleanliness of the accommodations, which range in siz … (read more)

2015, 2016

Sunrise of Johns Creek

11405 Medlock Bridge Road, Johns Creek, GA, 30097

Nestled along the Chattahoochee River, Sunrise of Johns Creek is located in Johns Creek, Georgia, close to the Mall of Georgia, Johns Creek Town Center and Peachtree Golf Course. Residents’ family mem … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Buford

4450 Old Hamilton Mill Road, Buford, GA, 30518

We chose Charter Senior Living of Buford for my dad because of its location. We also targeted that area because we needed speech therapy. As it turns out, the company they have a contract with did not … (read more)

2014, 2015, 2016

Brookdale Lawrenceville

1000 River Centre Pl, Lawrenceville, GA, 30043

Brookdale Lawrenceville is located in the Atlanta suburb of Lawrenceville, Georgia, near Rhodes Jordan Park, Rabbit Hill Park and Interstate 85. Visitors praise the nice, clean facility and its very k … (read more)

2015

Delmar Gardens of Gwinnett

3100 Club Drive, Lawrenceville, GA, 30044

As a RN, deeply entrenched in the community, I personally chose Delmar Gardens of Gwinnett for my father. I knew the company policy was love, care and understanding, which is exactly what I wanted for … (read more)

Legacy Personal Care Home

174 McConnell Drive, Lawrenceville, GA, 30045

Legacy Personal Care Home was small, intimate, and had a very low number of people. There are only six rooms and they have 24/7 CNA care plus the owner worked as a nurse before and she’s there every d … (read more)

2016

The Retreat at Buford

3177 Gravel Springs Rd., Buford, GA, 30519

We went to the The Retreat at Buford and we like them, but we’re going to go with another place. The tour was good. It was pretty quick, and it was just barebones. It was just showing the different ro … (read more)

Magnolia Senior Living Sugar Hill

422 Riverside Road, Sugar Hill, GA, 30518

I had a good feeling about Magnolia Senior Living Sugar Hill when I entered it. The young lady that we met with, Abby, was very welcoming and very accommodating. So was the rest of the staff. We went … (read more)

Towne Club Windermere

3950 Towne Club Parkway, Cumming, GA, 30041

I would give Towne Club Windermere a five all the way around. That was my favorite place, but it is set up more like an apartment building. It’s a tower and you had to get on an elevator, and Mom wasn … (read more)

Tender Personal Care Home II

339 Russell Rd, Lawrenceville, GA, 30043

Located in the town of Lawrenceville, Georgia, Tender Personal Care Home II gives residents easy access to Southern eateries, entertainment venues and historical sites. Visitors consistently applaud t … (read more)

Almost Like Home PCH

2331 Sunny Hill Road, Lawrenceville, GA, 30043

Beautiful home, friendly family, close to main freeway (I85).
Beautiful home, friendly family, close to main freeway (I85).

Wisdom Well Living

5798 Suwanee Dam Road, Sugar Hill, GA, 30518

My mother lives at Wisdom Well Living. Finally I have peace of mind knowing that she is taken care of. They spend quality time with each resident and since it is a small facility that makes it possibl … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Suwanee

Assisted living facilities in Suwanee and cities across the state are regulated by the Georgia Department of Community Health. The department’s Healthcare Facility Regulation division handles license applications and performs ongoing health and safety checks. It also oversees personal care homes and skilled nursing facilities, including communities that receive funding from Medicare or Medicaid.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Suwanee

• Seniors in Suwanee benefit from competitive tax rates and generous exemptions on Social Security benefits and up to $65,000 in annual retirement income. Purchases are subject to 6% sales tax, which is lower than the state and national averages.
  • Gwinnett County Transit and the county’s Senior Services division offer accessible curb-to-curb and door-through-door transportation services to seniors and disabled adults who are unable to use the community’s fixed-route public transit systems. Medicare recipients and riders aged 65 or older qualify for half-price fares.
  • The cost of living in Suwanee is 17% higher than the national average, and the area is more expensive than most parts of the Peach State. High real estate costs are responsible for the majority of the added expense; however, health care costs are about 8% lower than the U.S. average.
  • Crime rates in Suwanee are relatively low, which is an important consideration for seniors who live alone or who may be targeted by scammers. Property crime rates are 13% lower than the national average, and the area experiences 52% fewer violent crimes per 100,000 residents.
  • The climate in Suwanee is very senior-friendly with just 1 inch of annual snowfall and winter lows that drop to just below freezing. Summers are balmy with highs in the upper 80s. However, the community’s BestPlaces Comfort Index of 7.5 makes it more comfortable than most cities in Georgia and other parts of the United States.
  • Quality medical care is within easy reach for seniors in Suwanee. More than 20 hospitals are located within 25 miles, and three of the closest facilities have been ranked as high-performing by U.S. News and World Report. These include Emory Johns Creek Hospital, Northside Hospital Gwinnett in Lawrenceville and Northside Hospital Forsyth in Cumming.

Paying for Assisted Living in Suwanee

According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, assisted living facilities in Suwanee typically charge $4,263 per month for their services.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The median cost of assisted living in Suwanee falls just $37 short of the $4,300 national average, and local prices are $763 higher than the state median of $3,500. The area is also more expensive than other cities in the region. Assisted living facilities in Atlanta cost $263 less, and median rates drop from there. Prices are close to the state average in Dalton at $3,588, a monthly savings of $675. Seniors in Athens save almost $900 per month at $3,366, and residents in Rome pay just $3,088, a savings of $1,175 or about 28%.

$4263

Dalton

$3088

Rome

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living facilities accommodate seniors who have varying medical and personal needs but don’t require 24-hour supervision. Seniors who want to remain at home typically pay $4,385 for homemaker and home health aide services. Median rates rise to $6,388 for a semiprivate nursing home room or $6,692 for a private room, which is about $2,400 more than assisted living. Although Genworth doesn’t list official adult day health care costs for Suwanee, seniors across the state typically pay $1,355.

$4385

Adult Day Health Care

$4263

Assisted Living Facility

$6388

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$6692

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Suwanee was not available, so data for the closest city, Gainesville, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Suwanee

Two key state programs provide Medicaid-eligible seniors help with the cost of care: Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) and the Community Care Services Program (CCSP). The former provides assistance with intermediate-level nursing care in an assisted living environment, while the latter provides financial assistance for a lower level of care.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Georgia

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Suwanee

Seniors in Suwanee who are considering assisted living but aren’t sure where to start can turn to the following organizations for help with finding the appropriate services in their community. These agencies offer information, application assistance and referrals.

Resource

Contact

Service

Empowerline is a part of a national network of Aging and Disability Resource Centers that connect seniors, caregivers and disabled adults to publicly and privately funded programs in their local area. It provides informational guidance to help residents access assisted living and other supportive services. The agency also maintains a comprehensive resource directory that includes more than 26,000 listings covering Suwanee, Atlanta and 10 surrounding counties.

The care management team at Gwinnett County Senior Services works with disabled adults, seniors aged 60 and older and their spouses or caregivers. Care managers offer comprehensive needs assessments to understand seniors' strengths and weaknesses and arrange supportive services. In addition to funding local senior centers, it offers meal deliveries, respite care and accessible transportation for medical appointments and errands.

The ACCA serves as the long-term care ombudsman for seniors in Suwanee and 25 counties across northeast Georgia. It provides confidential information to help residents understand long-term care options, select assisted living facilities or nursing homes and exercise their personal rights. Specially trained advocates can also step in to resolve disputes related to providers' services, admission requirements and discharge notices.

Operated in partnership with Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation, this social club meets at the Prime Timers Pointe Senior Recreation Wing in George Pierce Park. This city's senior center features billiards tables, game rooms, a TV lounge, reading areas, an art gallery, a commercial catering kitchen and comfortable indoor and outdoor sitting areas. The center's Good Timers club convenes at 11 a.m. on the second Tuesday of each month for meetings, lunch and scheduled entertainment.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suwanee

Suwanee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Georgia