Canton is the seat of Cherokee County and offers fresh mountain air, picturesque views and a stunning rural paradise for retirement. Conveniently located between Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Mountains, Canton is home to around 30,500 residents, including about 3,900 seniors aged 65 or older. Aging adults benefit from a vibrant community that offers a welcoming blend of charm and an unrivaled quality of life. Seniors can explore a wide variety of activities and local restaurants, commune with nature at several area parks or take the visiting grandkids to see the animals at the nearby Zoo Atlanta.

Assisted living provides a residential environment for seniors who wish to remain independent but require some help with the activities of daily living. In Canton, the average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, higher than the statewide average but lower than the national average.

Seniors wanting to learn more about assisted living in Canton will find helpful information in this guide, including benefits and drawbacks of retiring in Canton and some free local senior resources. It also provides cost comparisons of assisted living in other Georgia cities and average costs of other senior care options.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Canton, GA

The Arbor at BridgeMill

700 Freedom Blvd, Canton, GA, 30114

The Arbor at BridgeMill is located in Canton, Georgia, home to the Cherokee County History Museum and Visitors Center and Etowah River Park. Visitors give high marks to the facility for its knowledgea … (read more)

Ridge Manor Residential Memory Care – Canton

735 Ridge Rd, Canton, GA, 30114

My dad has thrived at Ridge Manor. It is clean and the staff is caring and supportive. The owners, Jason and Annie are responsive to any concerns. My dad is a quiet person so the small environment and … (read more)

The Phoenix at Union Hill

9651 Union Hill Road, Canton, GA, 30115

We toured The Phoenix at Union Hill for my father, and it’s beautiful. It’s wonderful, and it is brand new. It’s got everything you’d want from it.,You would want to go live there. They have different … (read more)

The Retreat at Canton

3333 E Cherokee Dr, Canton, GA, 30115

My mom moved into The Retreat at Canton. I love that the people are very attentive to my mom. Anything that she needs, they’re right on it. They were very friendly and professional but personal also. … (read more)

Manor Lake BridgeMill

131 Holly Street, Canton, GA, 30114

I toured Manor Lake BridgeMill for my mom. It’s one floor, and that’s what I was looking for. I also was very particular about floor plans because I don’t want my mom in a studio. I want her to have a … (read more)

2015

Cameron Hall of Canton

240 Marietta Highway, Canton, GA, 30114

Cameron Hall, located in Canton, Georgia, is close to Riverplace Shopping Center, Heritage Park and Interstate 575. Visitors compliment the friendly, professional staff and the spacious, comfortable r … (read more)

The Landings of Canton Hills

1100 Reinhardt College Pkwy, Canton, GA, 30114

Provident Village at Canton is located in Canton, Georgia, near Historic Downtown Canton Cannon Park and the Holly Springs Train Station. Visitors give high marks to the facility for its organization, … (read more)

Cedarhurst of Canton

3100 Hidden Valley Drive, Canton, GA, 30114

We went to look at Cedarhurst of Canton, and we loved it. We love the lady that was in charge. She was so friendly and nice. We thought the room was really large. The area was nice because it was wood … (read more)

Wickshire Canton

125 Riverstone Terrace, Canton, GA, 30114

Brookdale Canton is located in scenic Canton, Georgia, between Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Mountains, just minutes from Etowah River Park and Canton Marketplace. While the facility offers residents num … (read more)

Senior Care of Canton

220 Brick Mill Drive, Canton, GA, 30114

2014, 2016

Legacy Ridge at Neese Rd

756 Neese Road, Woodstock, GA, 30188

I toured Legacy Ridge at Neese Road for my mom. There was always somebody at the front desk when you walk in. It was one level, and I liked one level instead of old people having to go to an elevator … (read more)

2013, 2015

Legacy Ridge at Woodstock

1000 Professional Way, Woodstock, GA, 30188

The apartments at Legacy Ridge at Woodstock were beautiful. Everything about the place, including the dining area, was perfect and clean. The place was excellent. They have activities like puzzles. Ev … (read more)

The Holbrook of Woodstock

13682 Highway 92, Woodstock, GA, 30188

We went to the cream of the crop, The Holbrook of Woodstock. It’s a new facility. It’s state-of-the-art. It is probably the best of all of them. They had a great facility. We’re very impressed. They s … (read more)

The Phoenix at Milton

13943 Highway 9 North, Milton, GA, 30004

Our tour at The Phoenix at Milton was outstanding. The people there were just exceptional in terms of their willingness to help us, talk about what they do and their jobs, and also just the dynamic pe … (read more)

Sunabella of Towne Lake

1835 Eagle Drive, Woodstock, GA, 30189

Sunabella of Towne Lake was very nice. I especially liked that they had a center courtyard that had plants, and all of the units opened out onto that with a little patio area. I thought that was very … (read more)

Oaks at Post Road

3875 Post Road, Cumming, GA, 30040

I toured Oaks at Post Road. It was actually my favorite. It was one level. The rooms were larger. There were two closets: a walk-in and a regular closet. It was a little bit older, but it was much sma … (read more)

Oaks At Towne Lake

4580 Towne Lake Pkwy, Woodstock, GA, 30189

I toured Oaks at Towne Lake for my mom. Nobody was at the front desk when I walked in. It was dark and they had a huge round front desk. It was on the weekend, but there was nobody inside. I waited ma … (read more)

Canterfield of Kennesaw

4381 Bells Ferry Rd, Kennesaw, GA, 30144

Canterfield of Kennesaw is located in the northwest Atlanta suburb of Kennesaw, Georgia, minutes away from Interstate 575 and the shops of Orchard Square. Residents and their loved ones are pleased wi … (read more)

Camellia Place Assisted Living & Memory Care

294 Rope Mill Road, Woodstock, GA, 30188

I toured Camellia Place for my mom. It was very informative and very nice. They are set up differently. They have a house where they have many people in one house with the rooms. They have a general l … (read more)

Crabapple Hall

200 Pine Valley Drive, Alpharetta, GA, 30009

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canton

The Georgia Department of Community Health’s Healthcare Facility Regulation is in charge of overseeing assisted living facilities in Canton and the rest of Georgia. HFR is responsible for inspecting, licensing and monitoring assisted living facilities, personal care homes and nursing homes statewide. It must also investigate any complaints brought against these facilities.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canton

• The overall cost of living in Canton is about 11% higher than the state average, but seniors benefit from lower costs on groceries and health care, two major expenses. While groceries are only 1% lower than the national average, health care costs are over 7% less than the national average and about 3% less than the state average.
  • Seniors in Canton save on sales taxes to help counter the higher cost of living. Georgia’s average combined state and local sales tax rate is 7.33%, but Canton’s combined rate is only 6%. The state sales tax rate is the same at 4%, but Cherokee County only charges 2% and Canton charges 0%.
  • Georgia doesn’t tax seniors’ Social Security income or Railroad Retirement benefits. It also exempts most types of retirement income for individuals aged 65 or older, but only up to $65,000 for singles or $130,000 for couples.
  • Canton seniors benefit from having a local hospital that’s regionally ranked #11 in Georgia and #9 in Atlanta. Northside Hospital Cherokee is a general medical and surgical facility rated high performing in seven adult procedures and conditions often impacting seniors. These include back surgery and knee replacement procedures and heart failure, stroke, hip fracture, COPD and pneumonia treatment.
  • Canton’s crime levels are lower than the state and national averages. On a scale of one to 100, with one being best, violent crime in Canton is ranked at 13 compared to Georgia’s 21.1 and the nation’s 22.7 averages. Property crime is ranked at 31.7 in Canton compared to an average of 35.4 nationwide and 41.8 statewide.
  • The climate in Canton is relatively wet, with an average of 50 inches of rainfall annually compared to a national average of 38 inches. However, it sees only about two inches of recordable snowfall each year compared to the national average of 28 inches. Its average July high is around 87 degrees, and its January low is about 29 degrees.

Paying for Assisted Living in Canton

According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in Canton is $4,000 per month. Its proximity to Atlanta likely drives up the cost, which is $500 higher than the statewide average of $3,500 per month but lower than the national average by $300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Canton’s average monthly cost of assisted living is higher than some cities and lower than others. It’s much higher than Macon, where average costs are $1,270 lower per month. However, Canton has a lower average cost than Athens and Gainesville, which are higher by $124 and $263 per month.

$4000

Brunswick

$4263

Gainesville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors may explore other types of senior care to determine which best serves their physical and financial needs. Adult day health care is the least costly at about $1,300 per month. Aging in place at home costs an average of $4,147 per month for homemaker services or $4,195 for home health aides. Seniors requiring around-the-clock care in a nursing home have the highest cost at an average of $6,950 for semiprivate rooms or $7,559 for private rooms.

$4147

Adult Day Health Care

$4000

Assisted Living Facility

$6950

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$7559

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Canton was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Atlanta, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canton

Two key state programs provide Medicaid-eligible seniors help with the cost of care: Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) and the Community Care Services Program (CCSP). The former provides assistance with intermediate-level nursing care in an assisted living environment, while the latter provides financial assistance for a lower level of care.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Georgia

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Canton

Seniors in Canton will find several resources offering free information and assistance with aging-related issues. From transportation to social programs, these resources help seniors remain healthy and active while promoting their continued independence.

Resource

Contact

Services

CCSS is a unit of the Cherokee County Government and provides a range of social, recreational, leisure and educational services to help seniors aged 60 or older have fun, socialize and make friends. Its daily congregate program offers entertainment, field trips, games, crafts, free lunches and transportation. Other services provided include case management, transportation vouchers, respite care, volunteer opportunities and various types of information and assistance.

The Atlanta Regional Commission AAA/ARDC maintains and coordinates the statewide database of over 24,500 services and programs for adults aged 60 or older and those with disabilities. Information and referral specialists connect seniors to local services and activities to help them stay active, engaged and safe.

The Volunteer Aging Council is a non-profit organization that raises money and awareness for the needs of low-income seniors and senior veterans in Cherokee County. It offers financial assistance to cover housing and utility bills, medical and dental costs and other unexpected expenses. It also provides hygiene and incontinence products, transportation programs and health and safety products and renovations.

The Cherokee County Senior Center in Canton helps seniors aged 60 or older access information about services and programs available countywide from a trained specialist. Information and assistance services include senior programs for employment, housing, transportation, health care, legal services, long-term care facilities and financial assistance.

CATS bus service provides transportation to and from senior programs in Canton, including planned activities and events. Services are provided by a 32-passenger bus with lift and wheelchair assistance. Passengers aged 60 or older receive reduced rates, but CCSS clients are only asked for donations.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canton

Canton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Georgia