12 Assisted Living Facilities near Gardendale, AL
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Gardendale area, with 2 in Gardendale and 10 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 52 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gardendale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Gardendale 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Birmingham with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gardendale, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Gardendale, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gardendale
Gardendale is a suburban town in Jefferson County, Alabama, with a long agricultural tradition. Today it has a diverse culture and more than 14,000 residents, 19.3% of whom are aged 65 and over. Some of these seniors live in the two assisted living facilities located in town. Others looking for assisted living in the area can find accommodations in the 10 facilities located in nearby communities.
In Alabama, these locations are officially known as Assisted Living Facilities (ALF) and are licensed and regulated by the Department of Public Health. ALFs that are permitted to take care of residents with cognitive impairments are known as Specialty Care Assisted Living Facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gardendale
- Winter in Gardendale is mild, but seniors who have trouble dealing with the heat should know that the summer can be very hot and humid. The average high temperature in July is 91 degrees, and an average of 54 inches of rain falls per year.
- According to the American Lung Association, Jefferson County, where Gardendale is located, gets an F for ozone pollution. Seniors should check ozone levels before venturing outside as this compound can be harmful to the respiratory and cardiovascular system. The county gets a passing grade for annual particle pollution.
- Gardendale has many arts and cultural activities for seniors to enjoy throughout the year. The Magnolia Festival, held every year in April, has a classic car show, live music and many different arts and crafts vendors. The Civic Center also hosts events throughout the year.
- Gardendale has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Birmingham.
- Crime rates in Gardendale are higher than national averages, so seniors concerned about security may not find this an ideal location for assisted living. The violent crime rate is 5.9 points above the national average, and the property crime rate is 23 points higher.
- Seniors and their families will find that Gardendale is relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of the country. The overall cost of living is 5.4% below the national average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gardendale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Gardendale start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gardendale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gardendale
Alabama does not offer any public financial aid for seniors who need help paying for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gardendale
Gardendale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gardendale, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gardendale
Gardendale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Gardendale
Review of Covenant Place of Gardendale
My mom lived in Covenant Place of Gardendale for about five years. It was very good. She started out with a small apartment and she lived there for about four years and then she fell twice. Because... Read more
Review of Covenant Place of Gardendale
My client has moved into Covenant Place of Gardendale. The staff is very professional and friendly. The facility itself is very clean and offered an excellent level of service. The food is good and... Read more
Review of Home Sweet Home
I would not put my worst enemy in this boarding house. The place is has a cold and dusty feel. The residents go hungry and most never leave except to go to the doctor. "The only assist offered is ... Read more