16 Assisted Living Facilities near Bessemer, AL
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bessemer area, with 2 in Bessemer and 14 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 93 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bessemer. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bessemer 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Mc Calla with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bessemer, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Bessemer, AL
14 Assisted Living Facilities near Bessemer, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bessemer
Known as the Marvel City, Bessemer, Alabama, is situated in the Jones Valley at the end of the Appalachian Chain foothills. More than 26,000 residents call this Jefferson County city home, and around 18% are aged 65 and older.
When activities of daily living become too much for these seniors to handle on their own, help can be found at an assisted living community, two of which are available in Bessember, with another 16 options in nearby communities.
The Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards licenses all assisted living residences in Alabama, which are split into the subcategories of assisted living facilities (ALFs) and special care assisted living facilities (SCALFs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bessemer
- Bessemer has an array of community resources for seniors, including the United Way Area Agency on Aging (UWAAA) of Jefferson County, an organization that offers senior-focused resources, such as healthcare information, hot meals and fun activities, as well as two senior centers.
- While Bessemer residents don't have to cope with cold winter conditions, the summer heat and humidity may be uncomfortable for some seniors. The city is considered one of the warmer cities in Alabama, with temperatures climbing to highs above 90 degrees.
- Seniors looking to save on daily living expenses may find Bessemer an appealing option. Based on the U.S. national average of 100, the cost of living is just 79.6, largely due to inexpensive housing and low grocery costs.
- As safety can be a concern for seniors and their families, Bessemer's high crime rates are something to consider. On a scale to 100, with 100 representing high crime, the city scores a 95.4 for violent crime and 95.9 for property crime. These numbers are very high compared to the state averages of 28.6 and 43, respectively.
- The Bessemer area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Medical West Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors can get around Bessemer on the MAX Transit transportation service provided by the Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority (BJCTS). In addition to its fixed route services, paratransit service is also offered, and seniors aged 62 and older can take advantage of the half-fare program.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bessemer
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Bessemer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bessemer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bessemer
The state of Alabama doesn't offer any financial supplementation for seniors living in ALFs and SCALFs through either Medicaid waiver programs or non-Medicaid state-sponsored programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bessemer
Bessemer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bessemer, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bessemer
Bessemer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bessemer, AL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bessemer
Review of The Oaks on Parkwood
The Oaks on Parkwood is pretty expensive, but it is one of the best. They have activities. They even have a heated pool. Their heated pool is better. They have just about everything. You can have y... Read more
Review of The Oaks on Parkwood
My mom lived at The Oaks on Parkwood and it was below par. There were problems with housekeeping, mold on the carpet, the bathroom, her room was not being cleaned properly, and drinking glasses wit... Read more
Review of The Oaks on Parkwood
I was very impressed with Oaks on Parkwood. They had six or seven buildings that housed so many apartments. They had little individual dining rooms for each building where they can do things that j... Read more